Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we usually befriend the members of our age groupe, & lots of people have best friends with a considerable age gap. But I want to know that most of time you feel more compatible & comfortable with people slightly older than you or vise- versa?

Personally I have a somewhat teen sprit & now ot 22, I tend to befriend people of my age or slightly younger. I find most of older ones too boring & mature for me.​

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know we usually befriend the members of our age groupe
We do?
I have always had friends who were older than I am, generally males. The rare female friend would be my age and very mature.
---

Most of my close friends are older than I am by a few years. I'm twenty three years young, but my friends are around twenty eight years, the eldest being thirty five.
We tend to be playful and young at heart but filled with varied knowledge - we get along well due to this.

Otherwise, a smaller portion of my close friends are around two years younger than I am.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My best friend, another ENTP, is 22 yrs younger than me. I don't have a lot of personal friend, more work friends, which ages vary from 20 -65. I'm 51 BTW. I usualy seem to identify with the 40ish people. My friend who is 29 likes older people, she feel the youger ones are more idiots.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My age group mostly, though I usually get along with everyone very well (extremely social) most friends that aren't my age are a year below, less commonly a year above, and rarely 2 above\below. (I'm a high school senior). Since I'm only 18.5 2-3 years can have a very, very big impact on your character. In addition, almost everyone is the same as me in this country, since the army at 18 (go Israel) puts a real barrier between high-schoolers and soldiers.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I talk mostly to my age or older. I find people my age or older to generally be more mature and respecting, and many of them are generally charming. I find lots of younger people to be annoying brats, at least when they are together in groups (not all, but lots).

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Are we talking about acquaintances here (or those shallow relationships that most of society considers a friendship)?? Or REAL friends?? That changes my answer considerably depending on the definition we're using.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Are we talking about acquaintances here (or those shallow relationships that most of society considers a friendship)?? Or REAL friends??.
That actually made me laugh out loud

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I have friends all across the board. Those who are older than me are the ones who I can have the most intellectually stimulating discussions with. They also know by experience what I have realized by thought (and experience), and are able to show me perspectives that I may have missed. I can also tell the difference between someone who thinks they know shit because they're older, but are actually complete idiots that haven't a clue about anything, and those who are genuinely wise and do know what they're talking about. The first type irritates me to no end, because if they weren't so arrogant, it would be a simple matter to show them how and why they are wrong (though it's relatively simple to show other people why that person is wrong, and the person makes it increasingly clear that they're an idiot. That is quite satisfying in itself). The second type and I get along very well, and are often on the same intellectual wavelength.

The people who are my same age are easy to relate to in an experiential sense; they have the same adventurous spirit that I enjoy in others, and are generally a lot of fun. Talking to people that are at the same stage of life as you are is pretty interesting, and helps deflate my head a little (though not too much :wink:), and we tend to have similar interests and are able to have a lot of fun together. The drawback is, usually they haven't gone as far or as deeply as I have on an intellectual level, and it can kind of get to a point where I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots or children.

People younger than me are a lot of fun as well, though in a different way. They're like a mirror into my past, and usually I can nod and think back to a time when I was dealing with a lot of the same things, and thought in a similar way. Younger people have a way of bringing me back to good times that neither people my own age or people older than me usually do. It's also pretty cool to give them advice on how to deal with shit that I've already done, and watch them take advantage of it and move forward. I also enjoy getting them in touch with a more amoral, antisocial, hedonistic side of themselves that they aren't used to; very few things are as fun as teaching someone how to grab life by the balls and watching them squeeze.

I'm also pretty sure that Socrates was an ENTP; corrupting the youth of Athens with logic and a disdain for cultural norms is something I would find to be absolutely amusing.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
My female friends are usually always younger while my male friends are usually always older

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mostly older. The younger ones I have are for partying, the older ones for supplying the alcohol and for engaging conversation. My closest friends are between 5 and 9 years my senior.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
An important thing for me with any real friends is that they not be the self-destructive, tortured soul type. I've known 23 year olds who were past that phase and 50 year olds who weren't.

But I guess I generally have more luck with people over 30, which is fortunate because now I'm heading that way too. Lots of my younger friends haven't come out of that phase and are getting close to 30, I tried to be more supportive but I can't be so I quit talking to them.

Reactions: Kabosu

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'd like both. But mostly not kids my age. Their maturity levels are almost the same as mine. There is no room for improvement with most of them. But hanging around my younger friends make me feel like a guide and a teacher and I can't help but have this mentor-ish feeling around them. That's awesome.
My older friends taught me a lot. Seriously, hanging out with kids your age makes you dumber while the older ones make you smarter. IMO anyway.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,857 Posts
Growing up most friends were my age or older. As I've grown older I've found age to have no significance on friendships/relationships.

My view on ENTPs: When we're young we act older and are perceived older than our years, then as everyone around us grows up and starts putting on adult clothing, we keep a childlike element and seem younger than our age.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
An important thing for me with any real friends is that they not be the self-destructive, tortured soul type. I've known 23 year olds who were past that phase and 50 year olds who weren't.

But I guess I generally have more luck with people over 30, which is fortunate because now I'm heading that way too. Lots of my younger friends haven't come out of that phase and are getting close to 30, I tried to be more supportive but I can't be so I quit talking to them.
lol at this answer.

l guess my thoughts are still the same but that's not really the most important thing l would have said.

Eh, l don't really view younger friends as being appealing at all. Maybe even less so now.

l think of a friendship in terms of having upward mobility potential.
So there is honestly nothing l would want from someone younger right now, but maybe l just haven't started feeling mentorish yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts