Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know what are some of the ISTP's greatest fears.

I have this nightmare scenario: I am a very private person - I share different parts of my life with different friends so all my friends know something different about me; but none of them actually know everything about me. The nightmare scenario is that one day all these people will sit around and piece me together like a jigsaw puzzle - tell each other what they know about me and get the 'whole picture'. I think that would be quite close to the end of the world for me.....LOL

Does anyone else feel that way too?

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I know I wouldn't like it if my friends got together and gossiped about me. I'm not an especially private person, I just share more with some people than others. It makes me uncomfortable to know that someone could know something about me that I didn't personally share with them.

But, my greatest fear is probably going through life alone. Losing my parents, never having a lasting relationship, no close friends...
That, or becoming disabled or disfigured in any way.

·
Registered
376 Posts

I have this nightmare scenario: I am a very private person - I share different parts of my life with different friends so all my friends know something different about me; but none of them actually know everything about me. The nightmare scenario is that one day all these people will sit around and piece me together like a jigsaw puzzle - tell each other what they know about me and get the 'whole picture'. I think that would be quite close to the end of the world for me.....LOL

Would you believe this actually happened to me? I have different friends for different reasons, and like you no one knows everything about me each person knows bits and pieces. I kept them Well, in my early 20's I had this sociopathic room mate who I truly thought was my friend. I introduced her to my other friends that I had from school. I had a boyfriend and work and I didn't have much time to go out with her all the time so I figured she could hang out with them. OMG that was the worst thing I could have done. At some point these three bitches started talking and comparing notes about me then eventually they all turned on me. The sociopath was the ring leader and my other friends were feeble minded individuals that were easily manipulated (if you know anything about sociopaths you'll know they are quite charming and engaging).

I had considered all of them my close friends and that was very hurtful. I learned my lesson. I never introduce my friends to each other and only let certain friends meet my husband and kids.

But my biggest fear is anything happening to my family. That and getting old and becoming dependent on others.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
F**k! You just described my nightmare! +Clarifiedmind, I don't envy you at all :/
I also keep multiple personalities and I always have to control if I play the right ones with the right people. I hate it but I can't go out of it. And I hate it even more when people start to analyse me or they systematically read all my posts on forums or webpages etc.

But the even greatest fear of mine is to become paralyzed. Especially in that kind of environment where they wouldn't pull the plug but I would have to vegetate and be blocked in my mind for years. ... Brrrrr :(

·
Registered
51 Posts

eh, im an open book. if you ask me something and you're a good friend of mine. ie. someone that i share common interests with. i'll tell you. i dont give a fuck. i live my life with no regrets. if someone finds fault with it and tries to make fun of me, im witty enough to turn it back on them and make them pretty small.

my greatest fear is why are we here? what's the point? i was raised catholic and started questioning life at around 15 years old. im 32 now. i get over it by trying to ignore it. the only satisfaction i get is that death comes to everyone and everything. so def, not knowing what happens when our human bodies die is my greatest fear. i'll get visceral responses all through my body thinking about it. fucking creeps me out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Would you believe this actually happened to me?
This happened to me, too. Sociopathic friend who pulled some of my other friends together and tried to alienate me from them, I guess. It's been a while and I don't remember specifics, other than it was a fucked up traumatizing time. I managed to keep the other friends and dump the sociopath, who stalked me for two years following the dumping. Crazy bitch.

I didn't like that shit ONE BIT. I also had a friend share some VERY personal information about me when I was going through a tough time, with a mutual friend who wasn't very close to me at all. I guess my friend (who shared the info) thought I needed an intervention or someshit. Anyway, it resulted in me ending both relationships, because fuck that noise.

Like most of the rest of you, I have different friends for different purposes. I don't especially want them mingling - but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they did.

I don't have many fears. I'm not especially afraid of being alone - but I have a daughter, so it's hard to imagine being truly ALONE (though at times I do long for a nice long lonely stretch of time). I do fear rejection, and that's probably what kept me from dating for so long... and the whole deal with the now ex bf doesn't exactly help with that, you know?

Really, I think my biggest fear is being trapped. I feel pretty trapped right now - financially, trapped in a career that I kind of hate, trapped in contracts with clients that spread into next summer, trapped in a city where I can't find any work, trapped in a custody arrangement. One more entrapment and I could lose my shit. I really want to just pack a suitcase and take off for a month, out into the woods or something so I can breathe. I'm pretty damn close to living my worst nightmare right now, I guess.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
F**k! You just described my nightmare! +Clarifiedmind, I don't envy you at all :/
I also keep multiple personalities and I always have to control if I play the right ones with the right people. I hate it but I can't go out of it. And I hate it even more when people start to analyse me or they systematically read all my posts on forums or webpages etc.

But the even greatest fear of mine is to become paralyzed. Especially in that kind of environment where they wouldn't pull the plug but I would have to vegetate and be blocked in my mind for years. ... Brrrrr :(
Being paralysed physically has come up a couple of times in this thread so far - that is a fear with me too - I guess it's not surprising because it touches on some of the ISTP's main concerns - being TRAPPED (in your own paralysed body) and becoming DEPENDENT on others.

Earlier this year I was sick with Dengue Fever - it's the sort of illness that sucks everything out of you. I was laid up in bed for two weeks and when I was finally able to get up and walk around, I was so weak and nauseous I couldn't go very far. That was enough to drive me crazy. I felt like an active mind trapped in a dead body and I couldn't get out. It was bloody brutal.

·
Banned
27 Posts
I know I wouldn't like it if my friends got together and gossiped about me. I'm not an especially private person, I just share more with some people than others. It makes me uncomfortable to know that someone could know something about me that I didn't personally share with them.

But, my greatest fear is probably going through life alone. Losing my parents, never having a lasting relationship, no close friends...
That, or becoming disabled or disfigured in any way.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I like my alone time but I don't like being lonely.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't think its my greatest fear but I have increasing concern about the lowlifes of society taking over. They are becoming an ever increasing percentage of the population. Too many government handouts isn't helping matters.
Natural selection isn't really a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
that sociopath story reminds me of a "good friend" i knew in wow. He used to be my second in command who i had taught everything how to organize and manage a group of people: motivation, teamwork, goals, team spirit, team building, raiding guidelines and strategy generation/testing. In the end, since i refused to take on his unstable cousin, he turned everyone against me with lies about things i said or did (or could of done). Never again will i let anyone know me well enough to have such power over me.

As for my greatest fear... i have no idea. I never thought about what i am afraid of and i am not fearless by far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Being paralysed physically has come up a couple of times in this thread so far - that is a fear with me too - I guess it's not surprising because it touches on some of the ISTP's main concerns - being TRAPPED (in your own paralysed body) and becoming DEPENDENT on others.

Earlier this year I was sick with Dengue Fever - it's the sort of illness that sucks everything out of you. I was laid up in bed for two weeks and when I was finally able to get up and walk around, I was so weak and nauseous I couldn't go very far. That was enough to drive me crazy. I felt like an active mind trapped in a dead body and I couldn't get out. It was bloody brutal.
being paralyzed is def a fear too. good call. ive had ankle and knee surgery. the recovery was hell! being laid up, not able to stand. total depression. so grateful and motivated to do the things that ive slacked on once recovered. shoulder surgery wasnt as bad because i could get around and do things and had fun doing things with my non dominate hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think all ISTPs tend to be private, but your scenario to me seems like an inconvenience, not really a fear.

It would definitely take the pop out of that sexy aura of mysteriousness we cultivate, but unless you're telling people lies or gross exaggerations, the only thing that would slightly bug me would be the occasional snarky comment and knowing wink when someone mentioned something they learned from their little note-sharing session.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Being at the mercy of someone else is probably my biggest fear. I'm a bit of a control freak and the thought of someone dominating me, destroying my free will leaves me feeling all kinds of fucked up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ditto on the paralized responses.

I think this is what finally put me off joining the forces.

·
Banned
891 Posts
that sociopath story reminds me of a "good friend" i knew in wow. He used to be my second in command who i had taught everything how to organize and manage a group of people: motivation, teamwork, goals, team spirit, team building, raiding guidelines and strategy generation/testing. In the end, since i refused to take on his unstable cousin, he turned everyone against me with lies about things i said or did (or could of done). Never again will i let anyone know me well enough to have such power over me.

As for my greatest fear... i have no idea. I never thought about what i am afraid of and i am not fearless by far.
the same thing happened to me and i was left friendless for two years because of the jealous bitch. i think the lesson to be learned from it is to choose your friends wisely rather than isolate yourself behind a protective wall. why should you loose out on a potentially great friendship because of one sour grape you once chewed and spat out?

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Losing all the awesome physical abilities I developed before I joined the navy because I'm stuck on a fucking boat. Oh, and never marrying the person that would make me the absolute happiest.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't think its my greatest fear but I have increasing concern about the lowlifes of society taking over. They are becoming an ever increasing percentage of the population. Too many government handouts isn't helping matters.
Natural selection isn't really a bad thing.
I bet you watched Idiocracy too often. I think it is funny, yet scary in a way.

Otherwise, I'd have to go with losing family members or being paralyzed, too. But I don't really think about that. Luckily!

·
Registered
67 Posts
My biggest fear? Right now i'm college, and I worry that this is all just a big waste of time and money. I've seriously considered dropping out, even though there aren't any options that are appealing to me. I feel like i'm damned if I stay, damned if I don't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Being paralyzed sounds really bad, but even then, I can imagine few ways to entertain myself. Sleeping and dreaming all the time, mostly.
Comparing notes does not sound that but as well, as long, as you're consistent on what you're saying to people. Of course, there is a lot of things, I wouldn't want other people to know about me, only the closest ones. But still, it would not be the end of the world. At the end of the day, I cal always move to new place and meet new people.
That's why my biggest fear is non of the above, but death. Not being able to feel anything anymore, taste, experience, touch, smell... Yes, it's inevitable and when it will happen, I'll not give a damn anymore, but an idea of death scares the hell out of me.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Dementors? Haha. j/k. Maybe going crazy or being utterly confused and chaotic forever.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts