Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about how the inferior function manifests itself. Do you struggle with it? How? And how is it different in the way you use it vs. the four shadow functions?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I wish I had known about this branch of type theory much sooner. It would have made things clearer for me, all that much quicker. Far before I even knew type theory existed, I would have what I called "attacks of conscience", when I would come under extreme stress. During these episodes, I become overwhelmed with feelings of guilt, shame, and remorse. I become an emotional wreck, disclosing all the pent up feelings and emotions, I may have, without the filter, that I normally use to keep these things in check. I become extremely apologetic, I focus on the unethical nature of my behavior, and I call it an attack of conscience, mainly because I actually feel, that my behavior is unethical and I actually care that it is. It's a completely foreign sensation to me. Normally, I'm almost exclusively concerned with whether or not I find my behavior logical, on some level. It's very uncomfortable and unnerving, and fits the phrase "Was that really me?", which happens to be the title of the book I read, discussing this element of type theory. Fi probably manifests in lesser ways, but none of them comfortable, unless it accounts for my drive to treat others fairly and impartially. Other than that, I hate ethical dilemmas. People think I'm an introvert, anyway, but when I come across an ethical dilemma, I completely disappear. I notice a vast difference, even if they don't. However, I have to disappear, as it takes me a lot longer to sort through that sort of thing. I can't just go find an answer and apply it. Perhaps, it being in my inferior, is also why I have always found feelings and ethics to be irrational. Most of my own ethics seem to fly in the face of my logic and appear to me to be a bit naive and odd, making them all the harder for me to understand. I would say I have a lot of issues perpetually falling under or staying under the effects of my inferior function, mainly visible through my extreme anger issues and depression issues.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
Nightmare my Se, I just can't chill out and enjoy whats happening in the moment, my mind is always racing off onto things. I always think through almost everything I have to do or a certain way I have to be and cant just go with it, I plan to much. I'm always delaying those things I need to chill out and relax and feel guilty if I do it to much. Se manifest in me through eating, drinking and watching a movie, on rare occasions a trip to the country where my senses can be stimulated guilt free is rewarding.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I am under pressure of my inferior Te I have a lot of resentment and pent up anger going off on a rant. I am prone to snap more at the same time feeling numb. I sometimes feel if I am being criticised unfairly I can't handle this very well, taking things very personally. I also get more chaotic and it feels like if I lose the self. Very disconnected. It's awful being in this state, it feels so unnatural.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Great idea for a thread. Translation: I was just thinking of starting a thread like this.

How do you deal with your inferior function?

Remember, knowing is half the battle, as noted by Big Bad Wolf. For me, every time intense emotion came over me, I felt caught up in a violent storm, bobbing around in a sea of pain and confusion. I detested emotions my entire life because they felt so debilitating and made me feel so helpless. Much of my psyche was then committed to making sure this would not happen again. Like that worked!

Now, I try to coax my emotions out and just deal with them, enjoying the little rides they take me on. I feel very confident that good things will come if I continue to do this.

·
Banned
932 Posts
Ne- I get uncontrollable negative thoughts over possible scenarios.... I am still trying to figure out ways that I use it that don't include getting stressed out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Inferior Fe tends to manifest itself as having problems assimilating and finding where one fits into groups, poor awareness of how one is socially perceived, an inability to change that perception in a way that's desired, poor ability to express emotion and "how to make them work for you," and an inability to accept ethical considerations as adequate criteria for decision making. Can emerge as poorly controlled outbursts of defensive emotion [often w4s], or passive indifference to the emotional needs of others and the environment [often w6s].

·
Registered
69 Posts
Inferior Fe tends to manifest itself as having problems assimilating and finding where one fits into groups, poor awareness of how one is socially perceived, an inability to change that perception in a way that's desired, poor ability to express emotion and "how to make them work for you," and an inability to accept ethical considerations as adequate criteria for decision making. Can emerge as poorly controlled outbursts of defensive emotion [often w4s], or passive indifference to the emotional needs of others and the environment [often w6s].
This describes why I was miserable in highschool. Since then I've gotten much better about understanding interpersonal relationships and my own emotions. They're not as 'out of control'.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fe tends to be all or nothing. In the past I have hurt people, broken hearts and ruined relationships, just because I was self-absorbed and oblivious to the effects of my words and actions on other people. But I can also become entangled in another's emotional states and experience them myself. I'm getting better about both. I am not sure of the distinction between inferior and shadow, or between extroverted and introverted feeling. Fi (I think it's Fi) grips me and I become angry and judgmental, but fortunately it only lasts a few minutes. Sometimes an understanding friend will gently point out the deficit in my perception to break the grip of the inferior/shadow judgment.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Balancing things out....

I tend to see them as a way to balance of my dominant functions in some ways. My Se and Fi can be rather potent forces in my life as I can have an attention to detail that tends to bring my Se into focus while my Fi is about how I'm feeling at a particular moment. This is different than the shadow functions that represent the flip sides of myself which would be Ne Ti Si Fe as I'm an INTJ so my top two are Ni and Te. The shadow functions come in when I want to try to do bizzaro things and just do the opposite of what I want to do, but they are still something for me to try to reconcile in a sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts