Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your inner ESTP/ISTP self like?

This is one of the most interesting aspects of the theory to me. It's fun to see the inner shadow types come out in people. It's easy to see the SFJ's inner NTP or the NTJ's inner SFP or the NFP's inner STJ or the STP's inner NFJ from people I've encountered in person. It's not always the whole unhealthy shadow thingy, not by a long shot, more often than not it can appear to be a healthy connection to the healthy version of the shadow, but in a way where it's clearly not as deep or proficient compared to their inverse counterparts, to a point where it's really adorable to witness a childlike, innocent use of the tert/inferior functions. :blushed:

I don't know of any INFJ I've met though, and I know of people I strongly suspect to be ENFJ but I don't/haven't known them well enough to see any inner STP-ness.

So what's your inner STP like? In what moments have you witnessed unhealthy STP-ness in yourself, or healthy STP-ness?

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I have a secret or not so secret (depending on how well you know me) crude side. I like certain crude/dirty jokes. Like changing the lyrics of songs to make them sound dirty is something me and the INFJ hubby do. Yes, it's really stupid/silly but a guilty pleasure lol. I get pretty physically feisty/aggressive with people who are close to me. I see it as fun and playful but other people who are more gentle and passive might find it too hostile or annoying. I'd often get in trouble when I was little for lashing out at my older sister in this way whenever she'd tease me. Push her in the bushes! Ok, that wasn't so mature. Beyond that though, I just find it fun to play fight. I also have a secret hedonistic side which can manifest in healthy or unhealthy ways. And there's nothing like engaging more Fe/Se after I've spent too much time locked up inside of my head. It's such a nice release even when it's just a lively conversation you're having and coming up with witty things to say in the moment :D It's just plain fun. I like to go out for sensory experiences too. Like going to the mall even if you don't plan on buying anything. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the people, being able to touch things. I'm tactile in that way. It can be fun to observe and seeing certain things in person winds up inspiring me more than I would be if the experience lacked sensuality. It really feeds Ni.

More ugly side comes out when I've lost my patience. Then I just tell the person like it is. Go fuck your selfie :p I no longer care or worry about making them feel stupid (I usually care about this) especially if they haven't given me the same courtesy. I can be overly critical, blunt and bitchy when in a bad mood as well and not have any qualms about tearing someone down.

Sometimes I get really restless and bored too due to a lack of external stimulation. Wanting something to HAPPEN NOW and wanting things to move forward. I sometimes just get impatient and just want to DO something and make something happen. This can manifest in both healthy and unhealthy ways. Lets act, make a decision. Stop thinking about it or over analyzing it to death.

I also like to understand how the mechanics of things work - like a game or video game that I like. Once I understand that, I really love engaging with the present moment and being hyper in tune with it. I love yoga for this aspect as well. It's all about graceful movements and getting those in sync with your breath in such a way where it actually feels really good. I discipline myself to get those movements down precisely and then the muscle memory does the rest of the work. I am really better at feeling rhythm than memorizing movements for things. And that goes for playing an instrument too. If I hear how a song is supposed to be played, it's easier for me to understand the rhythm since I can really feel it in my body rather than if I were to just...count rhythm? But maybe that's just me and I need to develop these skills better.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
When my Se seems to really kick in nicely for something. Like when I get in that focused state when driving or something very physically centered and just love it.
I totally get into slightly risky things sometimes, like speeding, and just have fun being a little "bad" like that lol (of course generally when I think I'm doing something bad, it's really quiet innocent and harmless in retrospect and others' views!!).
Oh yeah, I can totally do that deafeningly loud ride that loops upside down over and over again a third time, happy to join you!!! (when INFJ has resurfaced later: Oh no oh no oh no what on earth did I do to myself! Just why would I ever, why would one ever...?!!)
That feeling when SHOPPING!!!! needs to be in all caps followed by many exclamation marks
When no one is around and I dance around to something I'd never even usually listen to
When I thought it would be cool and easy to switch the side my hair part is on. Later in the day: what the heck is wrong with my head?? I seriously can't focus on anything, this is to bizarre.
The days I feel like wearing my black heeled boots
When I suddenly want to just go for a run or bike ride or something out of nowhere, just because I have so much energy and want to really do something

·
Registered
300 Posts
My inner ESTP is bold and fearless with a mind that is completely silent and purely reactive in times of chaos. He is my ultimate protector, and I got to know him very well through sport and crisis situations. He pals around with a meek, pacifist persona that is me under moderate NiTi grip stress.

Meek NiTi guy shows up in the hours leading up to any test, crisis or competitive event. He is nervous and confused, and stuck deep in his head. He makes me question why I constantly put myself to these tests and whether they are necessary. Gripped by fear and apprehension, he literally pees his pants and pits out his shirts before every event. Sometimes he'll convince me to turn around and head home before an event even starts. He is extremely withdrawn, stuck in analysis paralysis and easily intimidated. His voice is loud, but I try not to listen.

ESTP guy takes over the moment the starting gate drops. He is pure focus and zero emotion. Time moves slowly for him, and he reacts at blinding speed. So fast, in fact, that others have to later remind him what happened in the heat of competition. This guy has no ego or self doubt, he just gets shit done quickly and decisively. Others have described him as an animal, a beast and a guy with ice water in his veins.

When I settle back into myself, I reflect on my two personas and realize that both NiTi and ESTP are there to protect me. However, if success is based mostly on just showing up, ESTP needs to be let loose on occasion.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The "Your Inner STP" are you referring to a sort of sub personality or personality type?
Hm, not really a sub-personality, though I guess you could call it that. I was referring more to the traits associated with the lower functions that can resemble types that have higher use of those functions, so instances of Ti-Se for an INFJ resembling XSTP behavior or instances of Fe-Ni for an ESTP resembling XNFJ behavior, if that makes sense? (There's probably a better way to explain but I can't really think of it right now :unsure:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
good topic! My inner ESTP has had a few workouts this year, trolling and satirizing conspiracy wackos online.
I have been making an in depth psychological study of them , due to a relative getting me suckered in... and boy they absolutely horrify me! At first i tried the gentle approach, appeal to conscience and reason etc, but it falls on deaf ears !!!! bigtime!!!
so then i simply gave up and now I give them hell. I even have a parody account on twitter that these types mostly do not even realize is parody/satire.
I do feel guilty however as they are such a waste of my time/life, but somehow i keep coming back, as they fascinate me and appall me in equal measure. E.G. the Las Vegas conspiracy nuts, they are so damn nasty to the victims, calling them hoaxers, crisis actors and so on, It makes my blood boil! Before that it was pizzagate which hasn't vanished yet. I never even knew what a LARPER was until this year.
I could go on.
anyway i am well are that this is me in full blown ESTP mode...i find myself maniacally cackling to myself as I try and take them down any which way, but the thing is, deep inside ....i am very serious and earnest about teaching them a moral lesson, though it seems sorta frivolous on the face of it.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I can't honestly say I ever feel like one - I know - exciting answer. I know I'm an INFJ and I always feel like one. That being said, people who don't know me who might catch me on a really loud or excited day would probably type me ESTP if they had to. But I never venture into ISTP territory - I don't think so, anyway.

I don't consider how bold, brave, extroverted or confident I can be as the ESTP in me - I just see it as the richness of what it means to be an INFJ.

·
Registered
300 Posts
On a lighter note, my inner ESTP loves motorcycles, dirty jokes, punk and single malt Scotch. He's really fun at concerts where he'll charge right through the pit and get you to center stage.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I edited my post a few times. I think I'm confused by the question lol
The xstp has the same functions as infj, only in reverse.

Mine is like me then I guess... :panda:
I'm not really far away from using Ti, Se often.

But perhaps my people boundaries are better and realistic.
I may also follow social cues which I don't normally do.
I may not put so much weight on what I value especially when working in a team.
And lastly my bubbly side would be tucked away. I would look more like one personality.

It's due to all my feelings that things change, but if Ti was the first function :rugby:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I can be aggressive when it comes to any sort of physical competition and some physical activities. I get a thrill out of passing people during types of races that I do and when people pass me it annoys me. I was running a 10k with a friend once who got injured. We tried to run it out running really slow but he eventually had to stop. I kept going but had been going at a snails pace for awhile. I opened up and sprinted the rest of the race. Passing that many people was exhilarating. I lift weights a lot and I love the feeling and the thrill I get out of slamming heavy deadlifts out. The sound that the bar makes when it's heavy and slams on the ground is sexual.

Reactions: mp2

·
Registered
39 Posts
I really relate to your post, @Vivid Melody ! Most people know me as the really nice and quiet girl, so they get shocked when I say the occasional swear word or weird innuendo. :wink:

I'm also prone to doing too much on the first day and burning out when trying to achieve some self-improvement goal. I've been able to make more progress on goals since I realized that little changes made over time is key.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts