Personality Cafe banner

Your INTP "Destiny"

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  DemonD 
#1 ·
How do you feel about your compulsions drawing you towards some kind of destined outcome?

I know there are certain things I find it difficult to resist, like data collection, for example. Writing is another one. I can't go a day without expressing myself in type. Given that these is somewhat of a compulsion, I don't like that they can "get me."

For me this has the potential to draw me into a time sink. The number of people telling me I should get into academia kind of makes me sad, because I don't respect academia, but it's possible that I might need to dip a leg in at some point.

I am very wary of the things I find it difficult to resist, but sometimes I wonder why I'm resisting so much, and these things do seem to be in some way tied to a destiny I've pre-shaped with all the decisions I've ever made.

How much free will do you think we have in working with our INTP compulsions over the longer term?

des·tined /ˈdestind/ Adjective

(of a person's future) Developing as though according to a plan.
Certain to meet (a particular fate).

* No, this doesn't need to include any kind of spiritual belief.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am very wary of the things I find it difficult to resist, but sometimes I wonder why I'm resisting so much, and these things do seem to be in some way tied to a destiny I've pre-shaped with all the decisions I've ever made.
THE NOTION THAT YOU HAVE A "PRESHAPED DESTINY" BASED ON ALL THE DECISIONS THAT YOU HAVE MADE IN YOUR LIFE, IS ILLUSORY, AND SLIGHTLY RIDICULOUS.

UNLESS THAT YOU HAVE MADE ALL, OR MOST OF YOUR DECISIONS IN YOUR LIFE, IN ACCORDANCE TO AN OVERALL & "LONG TERM" PLAN, YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ESTABLISHED "ULTIMATE DESTINY".

THOSE COMPULSIONS ORIGINATE FROM YOUR EXTROVERTED FEELING FUNCTION, AND FROM YOUR BODILY IMPULSES.

How much free will do you think we have in working with our INTP compulsions over the longer term?
"FREE WILL" IS NOT MEASURABLE.

ANY PERSON IS ABLE TO IMPROVE THEMSELVES WITHOUT THE INTERVENTION OF A METAPHYSICAL ENTITY, OR THE INFLUENCE OF A SYSTEM.

EVEN IF ONE'S ACTIONS WERE INFLUENCED BY AN OVERALL SYSTEM OF CAUSALITY, ONE WOULD STILL BE ACTING FROM ONE'S "FREE WILL", BECAUSE THE SYSTEM IS INDIFFERENT, THEREFORE THERE IS NO DIRECT INTERVENTION, OR INTERFERENCE OF ANY KIND.

:dry:

#3 ·
Here, let me put that in sentence case for you @RYZHKND:

..........................................​

The notion that you have a "preshaped destiny" based on all the decisions that you have made in your life, is illusory, and slightly ridiculous.

Unless that you have made all, or most of your decisions in your life, in accordance to an overall & "long term" plan, you do not have an established "ultimate destiny".

Those compulsions originate from your extroverted feeling function, and from your bodily impulses.

"Free will" is not measurable.

Any person is able to improve themselves without the intervention of a metaphysical entity, or the influence of a system.

Even if one's actions were influenced by an overall system of causality, one would still be acting from one's "free will", because the system is indifferent, therefore there is no direct intervention, or interference of any kind.

..........................................​

This one's for free, but if you keep writing in capitals / shouting, I'll need to put you on ignore.

#4 ·
I can't say I've dwelled on this a whole lot myself, but in a way, I know how you feel.

My parents have always told me that I have a special talent in math, but I never really enjoyed the idea of being a mathematician, always favoring the humanities to the sciences. Whenever I developed a new interest in some artsy subject, they'd remind me of where my "true" talents lie, and I'd resent it. I'd think, I didn't choose to be good at math, so why am I obligated to pursue it as a career? I dreamed about creating something beautiful and liked to think of myself as imaginative.

But, as it turned out, there are few things anyone can accomplish through imagination alone, and I wasn't particularly persistent or disciplined. So I ended up getting a degree in math. It was the easiest way to go and it paid the bills. Everything else I kept on as hobbies.

I think part of the reason I resisted when I was younger was because so many people told me that I should become a math major, that I thought, if I were to actually do it, I wouldn't grow into my own person or even accomplish anything. I wanted the freedom to choose my own path, instead of passively letting myself be guided through life by some predetermined force. When I read your post, though, I think that I was quite silly. I didn't choose to be interested in art, writing, sociology or music, any more than I chose to be talented in math. So who's to say that, if I had decided to become an artist, I wouldn't still have been following some predetermined path?

Maybe the only way to beat this is to purposefully go into a field that you are neither talented in nor interested in. But then again, it would probably take a very stubborn person to do this, and they most likely didn't ever choose to be a stubborn person.

So, really, it's impossible to know whether it's destiny or not. Perhaps it doesn't matter. If it contributes to your happiness (be it emotionally or pragmatically), I'd say that's probably the most important thing to consider.

#5 ·
Stop tormenting us, Ista! Now, Do I make you my never-achievable destiny or do I make Mars my never-ending goal?

But if you're interested to pursue Mars yourself, here's the application and requirements: What are the qualifications to apply? - Mars One

Once again, back to lazy-mode and lack of trying I go. I wish I was a groundhog... I'd only have to pop up one day out of the year to tell a time based on no factual backing... but yet, somehow, groundhogs' day is famous! (sans Bill Murray's movie)

#6 ·
How do you feel about your compulsions drawing you towards some kind of destined outcome?
I think you are assuming you KNOW what is going to happen, and you may be right if you act with strict discipline. I think it is inevitable that your personality will lead you in a general direction. However if you leave room for some randomness, you maybe surprised, and maybe even happy.

#7 ·
For me this has the potential to draw me into a time sink. The number of people telling me I should get into academia kind of makes me sad, because I don't respect academia, but it's possible that I might need to dip a leg in at some point.

I am very wary of people's advice. Not because I think they are being malicious, but because most have no idea who I am or what makes me happy.

Here is another thought about destiny and predetermined paths. Have you ever watched poker on TV? They show us (the audience) the cards. We know who has the hand with highest probability of winning, but the players don't. So they act accordingly to what they know or think they know, crazy things happen, people get (un)lucky, and there is lots of drama in between. So, there maybe some omniscience being who has all our paths mapped out, but we cant see that. Therefore the "illusion" of free-will is actually free-will from our perspective.

#9 ·
I try to remember the unpredictability of the world around me at all times, but to some degree I feel myself inexorably drawn towards certain outcomes. I think perhaps INTPs have an odd sublimation of desire, and an ability to sort of subtly manipulate little things in their lives to get to places they find interesting. At least, I've often thought I was prone to that. My awareness of my actions on that level are limited, though. I'm really not very zen.

Reactions: Ista
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.