Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MOTM Aug 2010
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This type description comes from Your Key to Sports Success (12th Edition, 2006) by Jonathan Niednagel. An updated edition is expected to be released later this year, and if you would like to know more about Jonathan Niednagel's Brain Typing system you can purchase the book from his web site, BrainTypes.com - Understanding for the new millenium.

BEAL / ISFJ "Assistant"
concerned with others’ welfare; responsible, reserved, patient, practical, friendly, orderly, inquisitive regarding people, harm-avoiding; conscientious, thorough, loyal; service-oriented; gross motor skilled.

Behind many successful, high powered men and organizations, one of them finds the dependable, responsible, hard working ISFJ. ISFJs have a strong desire to be of service, to minister to individual needs, and to complete all work begun. To make things happen, they carefully follow handbooks and rules, trying to do everything themselves, tending to become overworked.
As a child, the ISFJ is quiet, obedient, loving, loyal, and hard-working, regularly trying to please the teacher. ISFJs do chores, are on time, and rarely behave improperly. They need routine, appreciation and gentle encouragement to venture out of their comfort zones, and recognition for consistency and diligence.
To ISFJs, work is good and must be finished before play can be enjoyed. They need to practice a skill alone before having the confidence to show it to others. They keep a few close friends, often for a lifetime, carrying a sense of history. They value tradition and loyalty.
The ISFJ is a devoted mate and family member, bringing up children to conform to society’s expectations. A diligent homemaker, the ISFJ is neat, orderly, thrifty, and practical, with a high sense of duty. Because ISFJs are so conscientious, they are apt to be judgmental toward nonconformists and those whose behavior disagrees with the standards of the ISFJ. They may be filled with resentment toward these people, while being attracted to them in order to help change them.
ISFJs are known to marry irresponsible persons with the goal of reforming them. ISFJs are then often taken for granted or caught up in worry. Neglecting to take time off to have fun, they can develop anxiety and physical ailments. They may need encouragement to delegate some of the load they are carrying. In the face of trials, they need to reach out and confide in others. Wishing to please everyone can be a heavy burden.
Center stage and positions of authority over others are not enjoyed or sought by ISFJs. (It is rare to find an ISFJ who’s been bold enough to become well known.) Rather, they are outstanding executing jobs involving repeated sequential procedures with tangible results. Though likely to take the first job offered them, they will do their best with it. They organize life around the people most important to them, usually family. Hopefully, they will not harbor intense feelings of being misunderstood or taken for granted, but will establish a positive lifestyle being a pillar of society, working loyally for the common welfare, and building a network of strong relationships.

ISFJ Sports Profile

ISFJs are Introverted left-brained SFs. They enjoy participating in sports, though they are not found frequently in professional circles. In athletics, they exercise great control over their gross motor movements. Their legs are their mainstay, their greatest source of strength. If ISFJs work at it, they can be leapers with excellent vertical jump. For example, the NBA’s Andrew Lang, Dale Davis, and P.J. Brown have been top notch shot blockers.

Timid

ISFJs normally show timidity and caution in athletics, just as they do in life. As they progress athletically, these factors become less of a problem, though something always to be faced.
Three typological preferences contribute to ISFJs’ lack of aggressiveness: their Introversion is generally conserving energy, not expending it; their Feelings are seeking harmony, not contention; and their left-brained dominance (J) will not let them “jump in and ask questions later.”
Sports that cause high levels of fear are unwelcomed by ISFJs. Young ISFJs do not like to face the hard throwing pitcher on the mound. They may step into the batter’s box, but they are not likely to crowd the plate. Yet, if they are unafraid of the pitcher, they are capable of hitting the ball hard, using their body to generate power. Defensively in baseball, they are reluctant to charge the ball or stick their nose down to snag a hard grounder.
On the other hand, some ISFJs are found playing football. A few have even made it to the NFL, but the chances of them becoming household names are not high. The most likely position for NFL success is offensive tackle. One rare ISFJ with NFL stardom has been offensive tackle and All-Pro Richmond Webb. In 1997, the 6’6”, 300-pound Webb played in his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl. He was recognized as the prime protector on his Miami Dolphins team for superstar quarterback Dan Marino.
Basketball is a fun sport for ISFJs. They don’t have to worry about a hard ball smacking them in the face but can enjoy playing with a ball that is much less intimidating.

Defensive Mentality

Basketball is a sport that especially demonstrates the defensive talents of ISFJs. They play defense properly, using their strong, SF legs to keep the person they’re guarding from the basket. Yet they need to work hard at developing lateral quickness. ISFJs are unselfish players, looking for ways to complement their teammates. They feel they can do this best by playing good defense. If ISFJs begin basketball at an early age and with good coaching, they can develop a finely-tuned offensive game.

Bowling and Horseshoes

Though infrequently found in professional sports, two sports where an ISFJ has been the absolute best is in bowling and horseshoes. Walter Ray Williams Jr. has dominated off and on for over a decade on the Pro Bowlers Tour. Walter has captured the Player of the Year award four times – 1986, 1993, 1996, and 1997. In 1995, he was inducted into the PBA Hall of Fame.
To physically direct a heavy ball down a long wooden lane with pinpoint accuracy requires excellent body control. Walter’s style is not right-brained graceful, but more mechanical, SFJ gross motor regulated. His mastery over the body’s large muscles has made him durable and bowling proficient.
Amazingly, Walter is also regarded as the best horseshoe player in the world, having won the World Horseshoe Pitching Championships six tmes. Williams estimates that he throws a bowling ball about 40,000 times a year and a horseshoe some 15,000 times. No Brain Type Grouping can endure these physical demands better than the SFs. ISFJ Walter Ray Williams Jr. has used his inborn big-muscle control to perfection.

Type Tips

ISFJs need to be encouraged to be more aggressive in sports, particularly on the offensive end. They need to realize it is okay to make mistakes; blunders are part of the process of sports maturation. Even the greatest athletes have their periods of failure.
ISFJs should become familiar with the mental section of this book. Learning to relax and alleviate fear is crucial to their athletic success.
Like all dominant left-brained persons, ISFJs need to develop their spatial awareness.
If ISFJs can begin athletic activities at an early age, the more likely they are to succeed, not only by developing their motor skills but confidence and assertiveness as well.
Parents and coaches need to remember that ISFJs respond and learn best when they are treated with sensitivity, commended for their efforts, and encouraged to keep trying.

PROBABLE ISFJs IN SPORTS

Basketball: P.J. Brown, Dale Davis, Ervin Johnson, Nazr Mohammed, J.R. Henderson, John Coker, Alton Lister, Andrew Lang, Acie Earl
Football: Carson Palmer, Richmond Webb, Trezelle Jenkins

PROBABLE WELL KNOWN ISFJs:
Since ISFJs rarely seek the limelight, few are household names in America. Conversely, ISFJs’ opposite Type, the ENTP, normally seeks an audience – the reason so many are named in the ENTP profile. (Manny’s note: For most of the type descriptions, I left out the lists of non-athletes, with the exceptions of ISFJ and INFJ, which have just one combined between the two of them. I chose those two types to highlight the dearth of famous people of those types. In contrast, the ENTP list is several pages long, and there’s no way in hell I’m copying all of that down.)

Popular Career Choices:
Nursing, social service work, ministry, secretarial service, teaching (especially elementary level), counseling, child care, probation officer, veterinarian, physical therapy

·
Registered
701 Posts
I wonder if Michael Oher is an ISFJ. In the Blind Side portrayal he seemed like one. I haven't read the book or looked into his real-life personality. '

All the NBA guys listed are centers or power forwards. The NFL guys are huge, even Palmer is 6'5". Even Williams the bowler is 6'2. I wonder if bigger guys, due to our role as the "protector" have a much greater success in sports, or maybe because of our quiet natures only the bigger guys get noticed. of course, athletes are more likely to be bigger than the rest of the population but no point guards, no running backs, no safeties listed. There could be of course but i guess not prominent enough to be listed.

I can definitely agree with the defense in basketball. i have strong legs and play good defense. of course, i'd rather be a big guy blocking shots than the guy d'ing up a perimeter player that's for sure!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Doing some more thinking it makes sense for those players. The players listed for basketball are defensive, team-oriented players. While the NFL (other than Palmer) are offensive tackles. Offensive tackles are very important but get very little attention, and score only through fumble recovery. Furthermore, there aren't official stats, making it a very under the radar position. Its only through the emphasis on quarterback protection that they are getting more attention.

Unfortunately for me, i fly under the radar. I remember one time I played pick up football and I played quarterback pretty well. And in other games i'd play receiver. But this is only amongst friends, i don't have the size to play OT or center, so pretty much I fly under the radar. Its funny because even at their staggering heights (6'5- 6'7" OT) or (6'8"-7''0" PF/C), those players were barely noticed compared to the rest of their sport, and many of them had long careers. The older I get, the less sports I play because i'm not too assertive and i fly under the radar, and with today's emphasis on flash, attention (receivers, qb's, nba stars), the culture of the game is becoming more and more difficult to relate with as i play. by that i mean, people playing basketball idolize kobe and try to be him, whereas it would be odd to be on the court and mimicking Dale Davis.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ok, continuing my domination of this topic, according to wikisocionics, Oher is ISTP (Te). So i was right about the IS part, wrong about the TP part. Maybe its because i've tested as ISTP before which makes me relate.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you're reading this, you can tell i'm really interested in this topic. Wikisocionics lists Rick Fox and Cris Collinsworth as ISFJ's. Then again, it also lists Barack Obama as ISFJ and i can't see that being accurate. Rick Fox, i don't know much about how he is in his personal life, but as a basketball player i can see ISFJ being possible. Defensive guy, played alongside Kobe and Shaq. Outside of sports, i dunno, maybe he's nurturing Eliza Dushku?? As far as Cris Collinsworth, i could hardly see him as ISFJ. He's a big guy, 6'5", played receiver. I'm too young to have seen him play but as an announcer, i really can't see him as ISFJ. He seems to be critical and really seems like a p***k. I'm referring to Collinsworth, not a member of this forum, and I put asterisk in case its seen as offensive, just making sure, don't want to get banned :happy:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I want an INFJ sports profile!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love to play volleyball :]
especially playing in the championship game the adrenaline goes berzerk and I'm cheering all night
fucking love this feeling of going all out!!!
life would suck without sports that allow you to release your super sayonness ;]

·
Registered
91 Posts
"They enjoy participating in sports, though they are not found frequently in professional circles. ". Actually the best soccer player of 2010 and one of history's greatest sports man Andres Iniesta is widely regarded as an ISFJ. He scored the goal to win the biggest sporting event in the world watched by 2 billion people, the world cup in 2010.He is so nice, freindly and humble. He is very private. He does not seek the limelight eventhough he has acheived so much and he is happy helping his team. He is such a shy guy. His team mates say he doesn't speak unless he needs to say something. As a young boy he was very homesick while in a academy far from his home. He does not do partying, tattoos and the usual headlines that are so common among his peers. "Discos are not my thing," he once said. After scoring to win the greatest prize in sporting world he refuses to acknowledge his own importance. "I simply made a small contribution to my team," he said.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very interesting post. Strangely, the descriptions seem to fit me, and yeah often in basketball, I tend to be defensive, either to stop drives or contest for rebounds. Also, i tend to have a good leaping ability despite my height. However, i have lost most of my enthusiasm in basketball since i've experienced that when most people i play with lose or are losing , they'll become unreasonably hostile and aggressive. I dont like getting into fights if i feel if its not worth it.

Now, i'm focusing in self-defense but i've been planning to test my fighting abilities by joining a sport(boxing). this way, i could fight without worrying that people would take it personal, since its a combat sport, its meant to involve combat. strange though that there was no mention on how isfj's would fair in combat sports... i wonder if there are famous isfj's in this field...

They need to practice a skill alone before having the confidence to show it to others.
Yeap, this really applies to me.

Thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
97 Posts
"They enjoy participating in sports, though they are not found frequently in professional circles. ". Actually the best soccer player of 2010 and one of history's greatest sports man Andres Iniesta is widely regarded as an ISFJ. He scored the goal to win the biggest sporting event in the world watched by 2 billion people, the world cup in 2010.He is so nice, freindly and humble. He is very private. He does not seek the limelight eventhough he has acheived so much and he is happy helping his team. He is such a shy guy. His team mates say he doesn't speak unless he needs to say something. As a young boy he was very homesick while in a academy far from his home. He does not do partying, tattoos and the usual headlines that are so common among his peers. "Discos are not my thing," he once said. After scoring to win the greatest prize in sporting world he refuses to acknowledge his own importance. "I simply made a small contribution to my team," he said.

So, its possible, being kind yet successful...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts