Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well how good you are in remembering the way, using the map?
What do you do when you get lost, what guides you?
Do you pay enough attention to the way, or is your thinking more important?

I have always been terrible at this... I usually google the entire way to be sure I wont get lost or stuff... I usually have problems going back, because I dont seem pay enough attention to the way and I dont really make any checkpoints (like weird coloured house or stuff), and the way is just different when you are going back (at least for me ... :D)

When travelling with someone I dont pay any attention to the road, unless I studied it and I am leading... I usually spend all my energy finding some conversational topic...

I get lost in games...... Dungeons are terrible, huge underground complexes and building holy....

I can get lost in city I dont know easily... I usually leave it to my intuition, since I dont have any checkpoints (well some, but not really something I would recognize for miles)... I usually just go the right direction until I somehow get back on the track I already know... I hardly ever ask, because it would involve talking to people...

All these problems are concerning riding bicycle or walking, because I dont have driving license...

I think I am improving a bit, but I should start seriously paying more attention to remember the way better, also should make checkpoints on the way... But sometimes its fun to chose the unknown way and just go and go (like Forrest Gump)....

When asking for directions I cant usually follow them and I tend to forgot them also...

As for using map I usually combine normal map, satellite map and cyclomap to chose the best option...

The point paragraph system is messy T.T Dont feeling like reformatting it though T.T Sorry

Reactions: Jennywocky

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I tend to landmark - if I can find one building/object that looks different every so often, I'll be fine. I don't like maps (I tend to read them the wrong way around and end up going in the opposite direction) so I mostly go by building placements and areas that look kind of right. It's worked mostly, except when I got lost in London once by myself...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well how good you are in remembering the way, using the map?I literally cannot forget. I make maps in my mind if I consciously want to remember the way, and even if I don't have a conscious desire to remember how to go to a place, my intuition kicks in and I can easily repeat the motions. Maps are my forte.

My intuition or my mental map. I can close my eyes and see practically every road laid out before me and though I do not know where all the roads go or come from, many of them are very easy to predict. It is this that helps me when I am lost.

My thinking is far more important, but I do find myself pondering what way would be the best to take to get home in order to be more efficient.

AND WHY WONT YOU GET OFF BOLD YOU STUPID FONT
):

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Maps make navigating into child's play for me, honestly.
I have no idea how people who have a generally accurate map manage to get lost.

I do use Google maps a lot on my cell for going to new places, it makes things far more convenient.

Well, if I don't have a map, typically I am going (1) by landmarks and (2) by sense of direction in terms of where I've been. i.e., the general direction I was going becomes the anchor point and shifts in direction are marked off from that, so I typically always have a general sense of my heading and what kinds of turns I made along the way.

If I feel like the route is really turning me about, I'll also guide off overhead landmarks like the sun + any horizon marks + general location of cloudbanks and jettrails.

For return trips (or trips I made a long time ago), a final piece of the puzzle for me is familiarity. If a route I've done before looks unfamiliar, I suspect I missed my turn. I usually maintain a general familiarity of places I have been, and in my experience if a place feels unfamiliar, then I messed up.

My general strategy when it comes to anything (including navigation) is to remember unique anchor points and let the unnecessary details go. So I'm paying attention to specific landmarks in the environment (as well as general direction AND distance in terms of time/space) and not cluttering my head with the generic ones.

Which means basically I have created a map in my head (including direction and spatial relationships) along with the most important landmarks especially where turns / changes in the path occur.

I love maps and enjoyed designing dungeon maps when I was playing RPGs years ago. Lots of fun.

Reactions: merlin89

·
Registered
652 Posts
I easily find way using a map (in RPGs) and irl I don't travel much, but I got the idea/visualize when I used a map irl.
My sense of space is decent also.

Well...this might be wrong...I use major landmarks and I do remember some details, but otherwise I try to sort of construct a mental map...a general idea in my head, based on angels and length of the way. And a bit of 'intuition'. Served me right on few occasions, except that there were fences blocking the way where I almost ended up rolling in the mud.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have excellent spacial and directional awareness, as such, I rarely get lost. Once I go somewhere once, I can usually get there again, from any other place, by linking together the various routes in my mind that I have learned over time.

My mind when I visualize where I am going is quite literally like a game map where places are blacked out that you haven't been yet. If I close my eyes I can visualize where I am going and how I'm going to get there, and can "fast-forward" through the route.

I even remember cities from my childhood, and if I ever go back to them now I can navigate pretty well simply from my memories 15-20 years prior.

Long story short, I am good with direction, maps, etc etc.

My lady always gets mad because I have my "auto-pilot" that always gets me to where I need to go after I have been there once. She still gets lost coming to my house, and she is over practically every day.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have a terrible sense of navigation if I have to orient myself somewhere for the first time. I get very anxious around transportation, which feeds into it. However, after navigating myself somewhere once, I will have impeccable memory of where things are and how to get places. But the first time going somewhere, I can't tell you which way is north (I typically resolve this by looking at the sun and the time of day).

Also, if I'm traveling with others and am not in charge of directions myself, I will not pay any attention and I will have no idea where we're going. I have an immense difficulty focusing on it. If I'm directing myself somewhere, I'll do just fine.

Reactions: tangosthenes

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I couldn't navigate a corridor.

But I have good sense of direction, so I always(almost) know the direction to my starting point. Unless I'm in a dense building, which annoys the crap out of me. I think it has to do with how they're built or something.

As a result I've gotten decent on calculating probable routes. Unless it is a city with a retarded layout, then I'm screwed and I'll spend a good while randomly wandering around.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I grew up camping, my grandfather taught me the classic navigation techniques: map and compass, landmarking, etc. Still use them today. I have a GPS in my car, but I don't use it very often, partly because it frequently had me driving through a shopping mall or into a lake.

I'm pretty good at keeping track of cardinal directions while moving around. That plus a basic knowledge of the town's layout is enough to get me in the general vicinity of where I need to be. From there, I landmark. I only know a few road names, so I go by landmarks. I don't know the name of the road I turn off of to get to my house, but I know my street is immediately after the giant hedge just past a small self-storage place.

I seem to have a very good ability to remember maps (and patterns in general). I spent three months in my dad's small town taking care of my younger sisters (13 and 14 years younger) about ten years back. I don't remember the names of any of the streets, but I can still find my way back to anything in that town whenever I go to visit. Once I've been somewhere, I never really forget how to get around.

It actually gets kinda funny. I'll spend a week in a different town for work, and by the second or third day other tourists think I live there because I can give them directions around town.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,197 Posts
the sun... I suppose.

Though I have an innate sense of direction, not that it prevents me from getting lost... but it's fairly easy what direction I'm heading.

I can read maps fairly well... though I'd be inclined to suggest... I learned to do so more through playing video (and a few tabletop) games than just looking at standard maps... and maybe building the occasional elaborate diorama. Or it could have just been growing up in a coastal town.

'course, aside from the sun, there's general clues from suburban housing developments to urban sprawling.. akin to which side moss grows upon in some locations -- much the same way with the layout of shops ... a bit more awkward with buildings initially intended for other purposes. But even then the layouts are generally the same.

have more trouble with rural areas, but aside from side roads, there's generally a fairly large highway or motor way nearby that makes it easier to read on a map.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I am a notoriously horrid navigator. The only way I learn the area I am in, is to actually look at a map each time I go somewhere and eventually it gets burned in my brain.

It's a random D&D thing, 1d20. If I roll a 20, it works and I remember it. If I roll a 1, I completely forget everything about the area and have to start over.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If I'm in charge of the map, then pretty good. Traveled in Europe a bit and did okay in most cities, unless others led me. Worse place was Venice. Frickin Maze. Can't even landmark anything cause it's all the same. Just pray you see signs or take the Grand Canal there... Usually know the direction to go, but there was ah. Not very good with public transport though. Disorients me.

Use a landmark. Something distinctive like a building, tree, etc. Or wander in the direction I know I came from. Or find a map/ask directions.
Sometimes get lost in thought. If in charge of directions I'll figure out my way.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I've lived in the same city for 21 years now, so I can find my way around pretty well. It also helps that the city is laid in a grid pattern, north-south/east-west. I used to have a phone with GPS on it, so if I got lost I could just use a locator and find my way from there. But now that I don't have a phone it's a bit more difficult, though I don't have a car either, so.... The transit in this city is nightmarish though. I can find my way to the train, but it only runs north-south, and if you have to go anywhere on bus you're going to have a bad day.

If I'm lost I usually will just get on a main road and drive until I see a name that I recognize(as I've lived here for so long, I know most of the names of major roads). I can usually navigate from there, or at least figure out the general direction that I need to go.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I cant read a map for crap and when i get lost i just randomly wander till i get somewhere......its not so bad. Also i dont pay attention at all to where i am for the most part again not so bad. Lucky for me i dont travel much.

·
Registered
569 Posts
In forest, I'm good with the map, horrible with the compass. In a bigger unfamiliar city, I always use GPS which I have been using quite a lot. I get lost easier in a city than the woods.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.