Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ISTJs,

So, I've read several times that our fourth function is kind of child-like and almost involuntary, and it seems to apply to a lot of personality types I've met... and I've just started to notice the following about ISTJs, so let me know if it applies to you :)

Without appearing to realize it yourselves, you're very in tune to other people's "vibes" - I always notice that if you're talking to someone who's tense and awkward that you become even more tense and awkward, but if you're talking to someone really relaxed you completely relax. You're very easy to create rappor with and when you like someone you mirror their body language in a far more obvious way than any other personality types seem to. Also, you seem to always plan your words and actions, but sometimes you get a sudden impulsive idea and do or say something that completely takes you by surprise. Then you seem shocked and go back to your controlled self.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Hi ISTJs,

So, I've read several times that our fourth function is kind of child-like and almost involuntary, and it seems to apply to a lot of personality types I've met... and I've just started to notice the following about ISTJs, so let me know if it applies to you :)

Without appearing to realize it yourselves, you're very in tune to other people's "vibes" - I always notice that if you're talking to someone who's tense and awkward that you become even more tense and awkward, but if you're talking to someone really relaxed you completely relax. You're very easy to create rappor with and when you like someone you mirror their body language in a far more obvious way than any other personality types seem to. Also, you seem to always plan your words and actions, but sometimes you get a sudden impulsive idea and do or say something that completely takes you by surprise. Then you seem shocked and go back to your controlled self.
Concerning vibes--this is more a reflection of the energy being displayed by another person(s) and is found in all sentient beings. Even my dog does this.:tongue:

Otherwise, I'd agree.

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Apparently Kriosian aliens have this trait as well: empathic metamorph
All kidding (and geeky tendencies) aside, I think if this really does exist, it's because we observe people and things very carefully instead of opening our mouths first.

·
Banned
932 Posts
I'm still learning about Ne and still trying to figure out when and how I use it. I can relate to your description, but not sure if it is my Ne. I would be curious about your use of Si Sunrain- what is it like to have a fourth Si????

·
Registered
384 Posts
I do find this very accurate. I occasionally get overwhelming urges to do things randomly, and I am very much affected by, and concerned with changes in someone's energy levels (as long as I know them, and have rapport with them).

Let's say I have a happy INFJ rush up to me and say "Let's go on an adventure!!!" I basically feed off of her energy and rush off with her. Plus, who doesn't like random adventures with beautiful young women? haha.

I also occasionally have flashes of insight that my INTP friend says that she always has. I don't know if it's my N coming out in these cases, but I thought I'd bring it up. =)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still learning about Ne and still trying to figure out when and how I use it. I can relate to your description, but not sure if it is my Ne. I would be curious about your use of Si Sunrain- what is it like to have a fourth Si????
Fourth Si...well, there's a whole thread about that on the ENFP board..

I guess for me it means partly that I don't learn from my mistakes very easily, I tend to mis-remember things slightly or rather "colour memories" with my imagination to make them the way I want them to be (maybe that's why NFs tend to be idealistic?, we colour the facts with our imagination?). I need reassurance because if I've heard it 3 days ago then I don't remember it clearly and I'm no longer sure what was real and what was my imagination (whereas ISTJs I know tend to say "I told you a month ago so why do you need to hear it again??"). I'm always focused on the future rather than on the past.. 90% of my thoughts turn towards the future - tomorrow, what could happen.. etc.

I'm also extremely uninterested in details - I'm interested in the bigger picture, but don't follow things through.. I hoover the floor but not the corners of the room, I start tasks and don't finish them, once I've understood the whole I'm not interested in the pieces anymore, I see the wood but I can't see the trees. If someone forces me to look at something piece by piece or to do a task requiring a methodical thorough approach, my mind goes frantic, jumping ahead trying to instantly create connections and abandon the task ahead of time.

I skim-read, my eyes dart from one thing to the next, if I have to take notes my notes are all over the place, untidy, 'random'.

I can use my Si but I have to really force myself. It takes tons of mental energy to actually observe the physical concrete details of something, to actually move the TV out of the way and hoover behind it, to actually remember things the way they are instead of the way I'd like them to be, to actually remind myself that I made this mistake in the past and I shouldn't make it again, to actually put things in drawers in order. The thing is, 90% of the time I don't see the point.. my Ne can make sense of a total mess very efficiently.. so I don't need things to be tidy in order for them to make sense.. it takes less effort for me to find my keys in a mess than to tidy up in the first place!! :happy: At the same time, I do appreciate Si and I do know that when I've made the massive effort to follow a recipe, dust my bookcase, or remind myself of past mistakes in order to avoid making them again, I feel like a more balanced person. But really..I'll always be an ENFP...give me Ne and Fi any day :)!

I think this functions thing is is why we ENFPs can be so annoying when it comes to making decisions or coming to a firm conclusion. We're awfully bad at seeing the details, so instead we use our Ne - darting from one possibility to the next with our imaginations, changing things around, until we've somehow constructed a wood from throwing a whole pile of trees into it and throwing a whirlwind in until they end up in order. But I think that's what makes us charming too.. we're a bit like a spontaneous laughing whilrwind.
I believe an ISTJ would prefer to construct a wood tree by tree, and that's why we both fit and clash.. whilst we love the fact that you're putting trees into our wood one-by-one and helping us with the details, sometimes you're already planting trees while we're still brainstorming. And whilst I think you appreciate our unexpected spontaneity, you sometimes feel like we're pulling up your carefully planted forest by sweeping in and changing our minds yet again.

:)

·
Banned
932 Posts
thanks sunrain :)!- i am always interested to know how the other types use their last function as I still don't know how I use mine.- i'll let you know when I figure it out :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts