Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you don't know me well, you could mistake me for an ISTP. I love talking about cars, engines, guns, and I'm pretty decent with tools. I build and fix stuff all the time. I also favour briefness and directness in conversation so I typically answer with one liners and without any BS (I mean exactly what I say).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hmm, i'm annoyingly over-emotional and sensitive a lot of the time, although I suppose my choice to hide it at all costs in public is a very intp trait.

I also have a fondness for machines and devices like Molock described, although I only really know enough to talk to the talk and walk the walk, I couldn't fix a car engine or anything without doing a lot of reading and then taking it all to bits, losing several key componants, giving up, and buying a new one:crazy: I'm kind of obsessed with taking stuff to peices actually, I think pretty much everything i've owned has been dismantled at some point just for the sake of it.

I have a huge love of animals and nature, which seems to me more like a INFP thing? I don't know. I get very attatched to pets and always have a great friendly relationship with animals. I've yet to meet an animal that I haven't gotten along with. Even the most picky and antisocial cats seem to be cool with me.

I'm always creative. Logic is the pattern of my life and the way I interpret the world, but my creativity is the one thing that i'll allow to fly in the face of logic. Analysis can come later, after the creative process is done, there's no sense analysing something if you can't look at it as a finished, complete whole.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sometimes I can get really emotional...but I just end up trying to figure out and rationalize the emotions, so...

I like art. I think this is just outside the STEREOTYPE of INTPs, though. I'm sure a lot of real INTPs enjoy art.

I can't really think of much else, but I'm sure there's a lot.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have lots of ISTP qualities. This is mainly because I like to do things regarded as ISTP-ish. If you gave me any type of gun, I could probably learn to clean and strip it within a few minutes and then a few minutes later I could tell you how it works in detail. I design guns that would almost certainly work in real life.

(related: Samuel Colt made the first true revolver when he was 15, so thats what I'm shooting for (no pun intended))

Also, I like to find how stuff works, I swear a lot, and when I am around motors and stuff, I get wild and complicated ideas to make homemade airplanes and stuff like that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice thread idea.
Maybe it can compensate a bit for the not-always humourous tendency to try to fit oneself and the others into a stereotypical anecdotic detail-oriented view of the mbti.
"Oh my! You showed a feeling and are able to plan what you're going to do 2 minutes ahead, you're certainly a mistyped esfj!"

On topic : I often seem very ENTPish in public too.
Very useful behaviour that keeps people at the right distance, seduced but not able to get too close.

I am very conscious of my environnement ; not in a "Se" way though, more the paranoid awareness.
(like for spotting bugs on a wall or someone looking at you).

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
On topic : I often seem very ENTPish in public too.
Very useful behaviour that keeps people at the right distance, seduced but not able to get too close.

I am very conscious of my environnement ; not in a "Se" way though, more the paranoid awareness.
(like for spotting bugs on a wall or someone looking at you).
I also seem to have the ENTP public persona. I suppose this is because when I force myself to be extroverted (like for a new social situation, a meeting etc.) I can send my Ne into overdrive to come off as charming and move things along at a brisk pace as well, while underneath there's still my calculating Ti, and my very well-developed Te. I imagine this is much the same for ENTPs as well except they do it naturally and without the draining effect it has on m energy reserves. I have mis-typed as an ENTP before.

I seem to have the "paranoid" environment-consciousness as well. I won't be pointing out things like "wow, look at that car, it's got such a nice color" or "the wind feels so good on my face" a lot, but I will notice things such as m spatial relation to objects and people, cars, the behavior of people around me, security cameras...I also unconsciously "map" out everywhere I go. I'll often describe the security setup and potential security holes to my friends when we go places. I remember that when I was 14 I found a hole in the security at an art museum which allowed people to bypass security/payment/ticket check entirely. I told the person at the help desk and the next time I came back they'd fixed it. :D

Usually I'm very laid-back about scheduling, however when something is of significant importance, complexity, or involves enough logistics, I become a taskmaster of scheduling and planning, and become very forceful about it. Situations that get me like this are going on a day trip with friends, going to the airport etc. It may be somewhat hypocritical, as most of the time I'm "whatever" about plans and schedules, but I get annoyed when others' inability to plan efficiently and follow their plans interferes with a goal. I don't enjoy such scheduling or do it naturally (or often for that matter), but I suppose that I have trained myself to do as such when it really counts.

In a similar vein I have a tendency to be a leader in a similar way to an INTJ. I don't necessarily naturally crave leadership, and if someone who is competent is in charge I'm content to let them handle things, but more often than not, the leaders aren't up to my standards of competence, so I step in and take over. I would prefer it if everyone was competent and independent enough to not need a leader/be a follower, but it seems that in reality this is rarely the case, so I somewhat reluctantly step in for the sake of a good outcome. I also can't stand being dominated, so in some situations I compete for leadership just to avoid being dominated by someone whom I see as either my equal or inferior in competence.

As many others in the thread have said, I'm a big fan of the arts, especially music. I get be moved to a state of powerful emotion by art, though I never let it take over my actions or decision-making. I can rationalize the emotions away very quickly if need be.

In short, I'm a very INTJ-like INTP with an ENTP public persona who can turn into an ENTJ in very specific situations.

:laughing:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Another borderline ISTP here, 50% on an online test, I was approx 60% N in the Form I written test.

I have no interest in taking things apart to see how they work, but I do at times surprise myself with my multitasking abilities. (Not as much as has been described on some forums - e.g. Brush teeth whilst juggling three chainsaws with your feet and bouncing a football off your head) I'm rubbish at driving, but can actually see future tasks and how they can all fall into place to achieve the main objective - as long as it is me doing them.:laughing:

The main difference is occasional "literal thinking", for instance I frequently miss analogies, and call a spade a spade. I actually have to think long and hard sometimes to see beyond a problem or concept to see the larger possibilities. Something that grasps my imagination immediately though - no stopping me.

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
I seem to have the "paranoid" environment-consciousness as well. I won't be pointing out things like "wow, look at that car, it's got such a nice color" or "the wind feels so good on my face" a lot, but I will notice things such as m spatial relation to objects and people, cars, the behavior of people around me, security cameras...I also unconsciously "map" out everywhere I go.
I do the same thing. lol Plus, many times I will pick an object up and immediately assess whether or not I could harm someone else with it. I have no idea why I do this, maybe self-defense mechanism. *picks up paperweight* "You could kill someone with this!" >_>

·
Registered
125 Posts
I enjoy a lot of really dumb, trashy TV. I think I need it to switch my brain off.

I can be quite vain at times.

I'm very good at hands-on things - cooking, drawing, knitting, etc. Anything creative!

I work as a waitress.

I like going to bars and clubs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also seem to have the ENTP public persona. I suppose this is because when I force myself to be extroverted (like for a new social situation, a meeting etc.) I can send my Ne into overdrive to come off as charming and move things along at a brisk pace as well, while underneath there's still my calculating Ti, and my very well-developed Te. I imagine this is much the same for ENTPs as well except they do it naturally and without the draining effect it has on m energy reserves. I have mis-typed as an ENTP before.

I seem to have the "paranoid" environment-consciousness as well. I won't be pointing out things like "wow, look at that car, it's got such a nice color" or "the wind feels so good on my face" a lot, but I will notice things such as m spatial relation to objects and people, cars, the behavior of people around me, security cameras...I also unconsciously "map" out everywhere I go. I'll often describe the security setup and potential security holes to my friends when we go places. I remember that when I was 14 I found a hole in the security at an art museum which allowed people to bypass security/payment/ticket check entirely. I told the person at the help desk and the next time I came back they'd fixed it. :D

Usually I'm very laid-back about scheduling, however when something is of significant importance, complexity, or involves enough logistics, I become a taskmaster of scheduling and planning, and become very forceful about it. Situations that get me like this are going on a day trip with friends, going to the airport etc. It may be somewhat hypocritical, as most of the time I'm "whatever" about plans and schedules, but I get annoyed when others' inability to plan efficiently and follow their plans interferes with a goal. I don't enjoy such scheduling or do it naturally (or often for that matter), but I suppose that I have trained myself to do as such when it really counts.

In a similar vein I have a tendency to be a leader in a similar way to an INTJ. I don't necessarily naturally crave leadership, and if someone who is competent is in charge I'm content to let them handle things, but more often than not, the leaders aren't up to my standards of competence, so I step in and take over. I would prefer it if everyone was competent and independent enough to not need a leader/be a follower, but it seems that in reality this is rarely the case, so I somewhat reluctantly step in for the sake of a good outcome. I also can't stand being dominated, so in some situations I compete for leadership just to avoid being dominated by someone whom I see as either my equal or inferior in competence.

As many others in the thread have said, I'm a big fan of the arts, especially music. I get be moved to a state of powerful emotion by art, though I never let it take over my actions or decision-making. I can rationalize the emotions away very quickly if need be.

In short, I'm a very INTJ-like INTP with an ENTP public persona who can turn into an ENTJ in very specific situations.

:laughing:
This is interesting. I also have a very well-developed Te, on par with if not slightly higher than my Ti, with Ne and Ni in second place. It's pretty confusing when I try to type myself, to say the least. Te=Ti>Ne>Ni=Si>Fe=Se>Fi is me, it seems -- pretty damn similar, ey?
Your summary pretty much fits me, too, although my awareness of the environment depends very heavily on whether I'm alone or not. If I am, I map everything, plan everything etc.; if I'm not, I usually pay little attention. I suppose my mind is too busy using its functions on the thoughts involved in the conversation rather than surroundings.

Some things you wrote fit me to a tee: I act like an ENTP (mistyping evident in signature) but with energy drain and not nearly as aggressively as some of my ENTP friends. I take charge when I have to.

I also like to be efficient and improve myself all the time, something that is more of an INTJ trait, apparently. I like planning; a general outline and plan help me relax; then I just let my intuition loose. I also share your interest in music, classical music in my case.

I don't find security flaws, though, so maybe we were not cloned by an evil scientist after all.

Apart from what you've said, here are some more traits that are not very INTP-like:
I was a very affectionate child, and I still am affectionate (though I don't show it) which conflicts with INTP child descriptions.
I like being the centre of attention if I know what I'm talking about.
I have a huge collection of teddy bears and walk around wearing nothing but bio-degradable underpants. OK, that one's a lie :crazy:

I'm not sure what I am, but I'm veering towards XNTP with planning skills. But my ultra-high Te always makes me unsure.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
This is interesting. I also have a very well-developed Te, on par with if not slightly higher than my Ti, with Ne and Ni in second place. It's pretty confusing when I try to type myself, to say the least. Te=Ti>Ne>Ni=Si>Fe=Se>Fi is me, it seems -- pretty damn similar, ey?
Your summary pretty much fits me, too, although my awareness of the environment depends very heavily on whether I'm alone or not. If I am, I map everything, plan everything etc.; if I'm not, I usually pay little attention. I suppose my mind is too busy using its functions on the thoughts involved in the conversation rather than surroundings.

Some things you wrote fit me to a tee: I act like an ENTP (mistyping evident in signature) but with energy drain and not nearly as aggressively as some of my ENTP friends. I take charge when I have to.

I also like to be efficient and improve myself all the time, something that is more of an INTJ trait, apparently. I like planning; a general outline and plan help me relax; then I just let my intuition loose. I also share your interest in music, classical music in my case.

I don't find security flaws, though, so maybe we were not cloned by an evil scientist after all.

Apart from what you've said, here are some more traits that are not very INTP-like:
I was a very affectionate child, and I still am affectionate (though I don't show it) which conflicts with INTP child descriptions.
I like being the centre of attention if I know what I'm talking about.
I have a huge collection of teddy bears and walk around wearing nothing but bio-degradable underpants. OK, that one's a lie :crazy:

I'm not sure what I am, but I'm veering towards XNTP with planning skills. But my ultra-high Te always makes me unsure.
I didn't think of it at the time, but I also have the center-of-attention thing going on. I'm thinking "Damnit! I know what I'm talking about and you would benefit from listening, so pay attention!" :tongue:

Our similarities are very intriguing, especially our shared ultra-high Te and high Ni. I've typed as an INTJ several times before, probably because of this reason. In fact, I'm still not sure which I am, so I've given up on typing myself until I have more information and/or have gained a better understanding of those elusive differences between Ni and Ne.

An interesting note about the ENTP public persona is that I often go into Ne-overdrive when I'm around other Ns with whom I'm very comfortable, namely very close friends. I was with a trio of friends earlier today, for example, with two other NTs and an NF (probably an INFP). Around most people, even other friends, unless I have to go into ENTP mode (for the advantage, it's a tool), I'm relatively quiet and reserved, but with the right mix of people I just go into a very Ne-dominated, ENTP-like mode. It still drains me, just much more slowly. Do you do this as well?

·
Registered
41 Posts
An interesting note about the ENTP public persona is that I often go into Ne-overdrive when I'm around other Ns with whom I'm very comfortable, namely very close friends. I was with a trio of friends earlier today, for example, with two other NTs and an NF (probably an INFP). Around most people, even other friends, unless I have to go into ENTP mode (for the advantage, it's a tool), I'm relatively quiet and reserved, but with the right mix of people I just go into a very Ne-dominated, ENTP-like mode. It still drains me, just much more slowly. Do you do this as well?
Hmm, I wonder. I have only one very close Ne-dominant friend (ENTP), and when I'm with him, I suppose I do use Ne strongly (without as much of a drain); but then again, I do that with most of my friends. My ISTP friend is probably the most reserved of my friends, but I enjoy making jokes with him and talking about technology -- I don't really slip into reserved & quiet mode.

I think I tend to do that mostly when strong extroverted sensors are around. Maybe that's just because I don't know them very well, but I often just observe, unless my knowledge is needed.
I also become reserved and quiet when I'm tired, and I seem to become more Ne-ridden when I've had coffee. :laughing:

I feel most pleased with myself in social situations when I successfully use Ne, I think. I can make jokes which are occasionally very funny, and appeal to most people. Ti is a bit concerned with getting it absolutely right and thus is often too slow, and I think I've developed a slightly annoying habit of using Ne with Fe to come up with lots and lots of ways of how my statement could lead to conflict. It's useful in analysing why there's conflict, but also leads to an annoying tendency to be overly careful; I'm trying to rid myself of this recently. I used not to care and had tonnes of fun in the process, though I would feel a little bad afterwards (I never really insulted anyone, but I was more like myself than now, perhaps). I imagine you don't have that problem since your Fe is low (if I remember your old signature correctly), unless I'm mistaken in that I think Fe is responsible.

By the way, this:
I'm thinking "Damnit! I know what I'm talking about and you would benefit from listening, so pay attention!"
is spot on :laughing: , and so is:
I'm still not sure which I am, so I've given up on typing myself until I have more information and/or have gained a better understanding of those elusive differences between Ni and Ne.
Also non-INTP, I think, is: I have a bit of an ambiguous relationship with academic success: On the one hand, I was keen to prove my intelligence to myself and others and did very well (I mostly just love learning, but I did care about exams, too); on the other, I am often very aware that society is just a human construct and that achievement really means little. Preparing for and excelling at school seems to be more common among INTJs; Te, perhaps?
Are you similar?

Please share your insight if you do find out what exactly the difference between Ni and Ne is. Like you, many tests also type me as INTJ. If you don't know it yet, perhaps this could help you -- personally, I'm still not sure, but the INTP side seems to be just a little bit more accurate for me...

·
Registered
749 Posts
I was in a band, I've fought in a cage, done stand up comedy, I love getting in trouble and being the center of attention, I've been jailed 4 times for just being stupid on purpose, and I deal with people constantly in my job. People often mistake me for ENTP/J. But I'm DEFINATELY Ti dominant because even whilst doing all that shit I'm still living another better life in my own head.

·
Registered
791 Posts
People say I'm really nice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On certain days during leap year I turn into an extroverted party animal. : o

I don't know if this can qualify, but I have a pretty good understanding of people, but I think this was built from constantly attempting to avoid pointless confrontations and people watching pretty much my whole love. : |

I have a soft-spot for children and pretty much anything cute; despite I don't really care much for romance, I do like some romantic things if done in an... intriguing way. I was pretty effeminate as a child and occasionally that still pops up, I'm prone to bouts of vanity like any self-respecting woman...

Like someone else said, people tend to categorize me as "nice" or "caring" because I'll listen to their problems or throw optimistic advice their way.

... If they only knew I did that to shut them up.

Okay? Truthfully I really don't know.
Part of me still considers my personality "developing" while another part of me doesn't give a flyin' heap of flyin' stuff.
... This was sort of pointless, didn't mean to waste your time. : P

1 - 20 of 38 Posts