Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually with tough decisions I try to be rational as possible, but if a strong enough emotion says otherwise, I will continue to analyze it for weeks. To me, emotions seem to add depth to thought, and when it is strong enough it mixes with thoughts and creates completely new perspectives.
Feeling "feels" to me like a part of my mind that has separate knowledge, but doesn't speak.

So what is your opinion on emotions?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Usually with tough decisions I try to be rational as possible, but if a strong enough emotion says otherwise, I will continue to analyze it for weeks. To me, emotions seem to add depth to thought, and when it is strong enough it mixes with thoughts and creates completely new perspectives.
Feeling "feels" to me like a part of my mind that has separate knowledge, but doesn't speak.

You probably continue to analyze because whether you intend to or not you want to justify acting in accordance to what you feel. I used to think I was a very rational and logical person when I was younger but eventually it hit me that you can create a seemingly logical argument for anything depending on the facts and conclusions you use. Of coarse if in your heart you really want something you're going to try to come up with a reason why you can. I think the INFJ's problem is that we don't usually realize we're doing that. Our hearts are so closely wired to our heads it's hard to separate them.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Man, emotions are the bane of my existence. They really have no business messing with me, but they seem to enjoy invading my space.

If you ask me to choose between emotion and logic as a defining character of humanity, I will likely cast my vote for emotion. I personally find more fulfillment in experiencing feelings than in exercising rationalism. It comes a bit more naturally. Emotions are not so easily picked apart. Sometimes I just want to feel my mind unravel; I just want formless things to pass through the black screen of my closed eyelids when I'm listening to music or imagining a written story in my head.

But emotions can be really annoying and unreasonable. Like my little sister.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Important decisions do require one to be objective and logical. However, one must not leave out the importance of integrating emotions in the decision making process. In the long run, even a foolproof objective decision does not work well if the person is not emotionally satisfied. So the marriage of both can indeed ensure a decision that is less likely to disappoint. Furthermore, it is important to consider achieving balance of the two.

·
Registered
322 Posts
the emotions that you feel are important.

I'm currently dealing with a hard decision which will make kind of a big impact on my future, it's a decision on whether I should give up on a person. logically, I should give up. but the louder voice coming from my heart keeps telling that I shouldn't.

you can fake an emotion on the outside but you can never fake how you feel on the inside. and I rather let the way I feel emotionally decide which way I should go than how I think logically.

personally, I think that there is no right or wrong in decision-making.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I often consider my feelings in making decisions. Human logic has flaws and so do emotions. If they are used together, however, the likelihood of making an effective decision increases. Sometimes my feelings warn me of drawbacks that my logic misses.
Agreed (10char)

·
Registered
885 Posts
This metaphor kinda hit me out of the blue. I haven't really analyzed it to see how well it holds up, but I will share it. Maybe one way emotions are is like herbs/spices in cooking. They add flavor and life to a dish, and can transform a bland meal into a party in your tummy... but they don't necessarily add substance.

Hmm not sure how well that fits and surely it isn't the only way to view them but eh.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You probably continue to analyze because whether you intend to or not you want to justify acting in accordance to what you feel. I used to think I was a very rational and logical person when I was younger but eventually it hit me that you can create a seemingly logical argument for anything depending on the facts and conclusions you use. Of coarse if in your heart you really want something you're going to try to come up with a reason why you can. I think the INFJ's problem is that we don't usually realize we're doing that. Our hearts are so closely wired to our heads it's hard to separate them.
You just wrote what I was trying to describe, thank you! :)

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
Emotions are like instincts. They're little red flags pointing to what's good and what's bad for you, personally. Sometimes they can be confusing to decipher, as they tend to touch on a lot of memories, not just what's facing you in the present.

There was once a case study on a guy who had the emotional part of his brain "turned off" by a head trauma. He could spend all day listing pros and cons about decisions he'd have to make, but he could never ACTUALLY DECIDE. He could barely figure out what restaurant he wanted to eat at, but he could tell you all sorts of insightful things about restaurants and food and why that kind was better than this kind. It was like Te/Ti dominating the brain without any Fi or Fe to back it up and give it a purpose.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think it's weird how people view emotions. Emotions are really nothing more than a mental response to something, that motivates us to react accordingly. That's really all it is. Without emotions we would have no reason to even lift a limb.
A lot of people see being emotional as a bad thing, they don't want their tears welling up in every movie at the cinema, they blame themselves for falling in love with the wrong person, they dread mourning and depression, they regret doing things out of the impulse of a happy moment... What I dread more is being emotionless. When I had just finished high school I didn't know what to feel. I should have felt sad, because I was going to move away and I wasn't going to see my old friends and family a lot. I should have felt happy, because I got into a good university and was about to have a lot of amazing experiences. Instead I felt numb. I felt nothing. I felt somewhere in between. I didn't know what to say to people, I didn't know how to say good-bye and I didn't know what I wanted in life anymore. Having emotions means that you care, that you know who and what is important to you, it shows you what you want, it leads you in the right direction and makes you feel alive. Sometimes I catch myself being thankful for weeping my eyes out and then I start giggling at my own tears.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts

Weigh all the options.........

go with your gut.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ah emotions. A Bittersweet thing.

To love them, to hate them. You're using them regardless.

I think without emotions the world would be a very boring place to live in.

Being rational and logical is all cool, but when you add emotions to the mix of understandings you have more knowledge than you know about more things than you can comprehend without it. I had a friend who thought emotions showed weakness, he displayed none, and never understood them in return. He was a 4.0 student regardless, but lacked that... umph... to understand the hidden knowledge that comes with emotions.

If I had to chose, i'd pick a sea of emotions to live with. Inspiring and poetic. They predict outcomes and wiggle their way through people in a lovely chain reaction of a network. It's interesting to watch. At least to me. xD

err yeah, i'm just rambling now.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
To love them, to hate them. You're using them regardless.
So if you hate hating, are you still using emotions? When you don't like being emotional, you are still, in fact, being emotional?

:crazy:

Okay, so that made more sense before I said it...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts