Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some words of advice or some values your parents have taught you/your siblings, and while we're at it, do you agree with them?

My mom said to my (xSFP) brother today: "Don't get involved with a girl just because she's hot, make sure she's relatively intelligent, too, goddamn it!"

I'd say that's good advice.

·
Premium Member
15,405 Posts
What are some words of advice or some values your parents have taught you/your siblings, and while we're at it, do you agree with them?
My father always told my sister and I "always save your nuts for winter".

My paternal grandmother always told me and signed her letters w/:

Love many,
trust few,
and always paddle your own canoe.

I loved that advice so much.

Now........................................ there is this guy on Twitter. He is a regular Joe and he is now a millionaire because he came up with the brilliant idea to write down advice from his dad. Here's his Twitter account ( Justin (shitmydadsays) on Twitter ), I bought his book for my dad for father's day. I am posting his dad's advice because it is the funniest thing I've read in a long long time. Here's some advice from this guy's dad:

"Invite them. A wedding is a loaded gun. Don't be the asshole staring down the barrel asking which button makes the boom noise."

"Don’t focus on the one guy who hates you. You don’t go to the park and set your picnic down next to the only pile of dog s***."

"Engagement rings are pointless. Indians gave cows...Oh sorry, congrats on proposing. We good now? Can I finish my indian story?"

"Look, we're basically on earth to s*** and f**k. So unless your job's to help people s*** or f***, it's not that important, so relax."

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."

"I don't want your advice, you're 27 f***ing years old...Fine. I don't want your advice, you're 29 f***ing years old."

·
Registered
286 Posts
My ISFP mom always says "Learn from my mistakes." More valuable than you can imagine.
My ENFP dad tells his lessons in stories. He use to tell me one about the story of the phantom of the opera, which is a touching tale if any of you are familiar with it. Lots of his tales were about the fight for love and justice in the opposition of evil. He told this one story I loved about a girl who gave up her artistic talents and creative mind for a "normal" mind, because she couldn't understand things the way other children could, and society made her feel isolated. He also had this one story that he thought was hilarious, it went like this...

"There were two twin siblings, one was sad all hours of the day, and the other had a huge smile on his face, no matter what. So one day the parents decided to fix this. The put the sad child in a room with toys and candy and waterfalls and kids who wanted to play with him and everything anyone could ever want. Then the other kid was thrown into a room of horseshit, with no lights or windows in the room. A day later they opened the sad kid's room, and he was crying. They asked "what's wrong?" he said "you guys are going to take all this away from me one day!!!". They went into the other kid's room, turned on the light, and he was digging through mounds of horseshit. They asked "What are you doing?!" He said "I know there's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
My mom is fond of, "Life's tough, then you die." It's a wonder I'm not a total pessimist.
There's also, "Stare back!" when we catch someone staring at me in public.

There's not really a lot of "wise words" that my parents gave me. I mean, they taught me stuff and supported me most of the time, but memorable words aren't really their thing. Or maybe remembering words isn't my thing...

·
Registered
49 Posts
My mom likes to give me advice using similes and metaphors (I blame it on her english major)... this is one of my favorites she told me about the dangers of men...

"Boys are like potato chips- they're salty and tasty on the outside, but inside they're bad for you."

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
between my parents 60% was fuck awful/projecting personal values too much, 30% was common knowledge and 10% was usable.

Reactions: dandelionfluff
1 - 10 of 10 Posts