Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been putting a lot of thought into the MBTI lately, so I've come up with a few questions.

What type do you suppose your parents are? Also, if you have siblings, what type are they?

Feeling dangerous? Try the bonus question:

Do you think type is determined by a combination of the parents' type, or is it learned after birth?

I'll start with my own:

My father is definitely an INTJ. He has his moments where he can be cold, but for the most part he is lighthearted and goofy. He is a huge math geek and is way into psychology, maybe moreso than I am. He is also a sci-fi geek (and the reason I became a Star Wars nerd).

My mum I'd reckon is an ENFP. She was always more warm and caring than my father (I often explained the two as one extreme to the other) She however never gave me any personal space. Also, when she saw a chance to get something she wanted, she'd run headlong for it, without any regard for the consequences. In retrospect, she kind of acted like my roommate does...

So my very first test result was INFJ. But since then it's been wacky and all over the place. Anyhow, it's your turn!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My mom is an ENTJ (I think)

Don't really remember my biological dad but I think he was an ESTP,

My step dad now is an ESFJ

But the only one that really influenced me was my mom, and she's an ENTJ sooooo yeaaahhh....

·
Registered
298 Posts
my mom is an INFP. she has devoted her life to motherhood, very understanding, rarely blew up. she let my dad walk all over her for years.

my dad is an ESFP. he was rarely home, worked a lot, drank a lot. seemed like he was always watching and waiting for a reason to explode. always trying to be the funny guy that everyone liked, until he got home.

my sister in an INFP, like my mom. very quiet, can't deal with conflict between other people, but regularly blows up on others. possibly bipolar and a major brat. she's mellowing out a bit now that she's getting older.

i don't think it's a combination of parents' types, but it definitely has something to do with it biologically. i can obviously see some personality traits in me that come from both of my parents, but they aren't type-specific.

Reactions: Zomboy

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Don't know what my dad is, but my mum typed as an INFJ recently on a test. I can't say whether this a good match for her because I'm rubbish at typing people!

·
Registered
51 Posts
My mom is an ISFJ (type 9w1) and my dad is an INTJ.

My dad lives up perfectly to the description of INTJ parents by PersonalityPage. Seriously, I couldn't have decribed him any better:
As parents, INTJ's main goal is to raise their children to be intelligent, autonomous and independent. They want their kids to think for themselves and make their own decisions, and so are likely to give them room to grow, and to challenge their decisions and thoughts at key points in their lives.

The INTJ is not naturally likely to be an overly supportive or loving parental figure. Since their own need for expressions of love and affirmation is relatively low, they may have difficulty seeing that need in their children who have Feeling preferences. If they do see this sensitivity, they may not recognize or value the importance of feeding it. In such situations, there will be a distance between the INTJ and the child. This is a problem area for the INTJ, who should consciously remember to be aware of others' emotional needs.
My dad and I used to have issues because I would come to him with problems, looking for support and sensitivity, and he would be like, "OK, here's the problem, do XY&Z to fix it." In high school I was convinced that he liked purposely inflicting adversity upon me to make me more resilient. He's also more of a hipster than I and seemingly age-inappropriate language, music, and movies were never really discouraged.

My mom is a total mom, if that makes any sense. She's very nurturing, sensitive, supportive, and loving, which also means that she can be overbearing and prone to a good guilt-trip. She's the type of mom who would enable her 40 year-old to live at home for the rest of eternity.

It's too bad my parents weren't more compatible, because it was a very balanced relationship as far as parenting was concerned.

My brother is an ESTJ and we're close, which sort of baffles me. He is the quintessential tough guy and he loves calling me out on my bullshit. This used to make me hyperventilate and hate him, but now we're BFFs.

My sister is an ENTJ. We get along, but we don't have a lot in common. She's very guarded and unless she's had a bottle of wine in her, I'm pretty convinced she hates me (OK, not really).

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My mom's an ISFJ and my dad's an INTJ. Both are 100% sure of their type, and it's very obvious to me as well. It always brings me back to that age old question whether MBTI types are hereditary or not. In my case it'd be a perfect fit. Ni/Se from my dad and Fe/Ti from my mom.

They're still together, but ISFJ/INTJ is horrible combination from my experience. I understand them both extremely well, but they have the hardest time understanding each other. I guess it only makes sense since they share not a single cognitive function and I share half of both their functions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mom - definitely ESTP
Dad - I think INFP maybe...
Hmm somewhere in this forum, I run into a discussion, that said that according to the theory, you're born with your type...

I saw in a different area in the forum, a discussion about how would this work genetically, and the guy asked people to state their parents type...and then people started saying that it shouldn't be according to the letters, but according to the functions, and that's where I got a headache following it...

So I guess I think it's genetic now...but it's kind of weird....cause ENTPs suppose to have a bad relationship with their parents as children...and I saw a thread in their section that most really did experience that...so that sounds almost like faith...? it doesn't make sense...

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Mother is ISFJ and her mother (my grandmother) is ESFJ.
Sister is ENTP.
Father is INTJ.
My aunt is INFJ - I haven't been able to type my 3 cousins yet
On father's side grandfather is ENTP not sure what type grandmother , ISFJ is closest.
My cat is ESTP :p
Two goldfish I have look suspiciously INFP >.> ...

My father is definitely an INTJ. He has his moments where he can be cold, but for the most part he is lighthearted and goofy. He is a huge math geek and is way into psychology, maybe moreso than I am. He is also a sci-fi geek (and the reason I became a Star Wars nerd).
Those kind of hobbies fit the INTP description better. I always have a perception of INTJs being more serious and down to earth. Because of their Te they come off as more practical and pragmatic than INFJs or INTPs. To me at least I get a vibe from them that they fit into same category as ESTJs, ISTJs, and ENTJs. However goofy math and scifi geeks are frequently found among INTPs.

My mom's an ISFJ and my dad's an INTJ. Both are 100% sure of their type, and it's very obvious to me as well. It always brings me back to that age old question whether MBTI types are hereditary or not. In my case it'd be a perfect fit. Ni/Se from my dad and Fe/Ti from my mom.

They're still together, but ISFJ/INTJ is horrible combination from my experience. I understand them both extremely well, but they have the hardest time understanding each other. I guess it only makes sense since they share not a single cognitive function and I share half of both their functions.
Same here. I feel like I am functioning as a translator between them. They very often mis-communicate while I find myself understanding where both of them are coming from. ISFJ-INTJ (ISFp-INTp) relations in socionics are labeled as super-ego. This is one of the least favorable combinations - first there is mutual fascination and respect, then conflict starts. Looking at my dad and mom I would have to say this has been very much true.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My dad, I strongly suspect is ENFJ. My mother has typed as ISFP. My younger brother is ESFP. My sister has Asperger's syndrome so she's very difficult to type, so I won't attempt it.

I get on great with my dad. I really understand him, and underneath his sometimes domineering/overbearing exterior he is a thoroughly good man and I adore him. He has the best of intentions, and we rarely fight, but when we do... it's nearly traumatising because he can be *so* intimidating, he really browbeats you into seeing things *his* way. That being said, his empathy is appealed to easily enough so if you're honest enough to be vulnerable with him he softens quickly. Interestingly he's the same MBTI type as my current boyfriend... *whistles*

My mother, I've had a much more difficult relationship with, though I still love her greatly. She... means well, but I don't feel she really understands me at all, and she can tend to be self-absorbed. She is also the "eternal martyr" type, she's always the victim in a given situation and that gets frustrating fast. She flies off the handle easily and can be incredibly flaky. That said, I know she does love me and wants us to have a better relationship, she's just not self-aware enough to examine her own behaviour and change it where needs be.

My brother I am incredibly close to. There's 9 years between us, and I absolutely loved him from the moment he was born :proud: he's adorable. He's kind, and funny with a soft centre. We can clash sometimes when he doesn't understand my introverted need for space, and takes it as a personal slight, but other than that we usually get on great. He's not one for deep, philosophical discussions, but he balances me out in that regard by bringing out my silly side. I'm almost a parental fugure to him, I think. And I like to think he understands I think the sun shines out of his ass!! :crazy: I'm fiercely protective of him, as I am of my sister. But like I say, she has Asperger's so she's kind of impossible to type accurately.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't know, but if I had to guess...

Mom- ESFJ (don't get along well in anything,live with her and avoid her)

Dad- ISTJ (get along well, but I have trouble talking about abstract things with him , unlike with my friends...don't know just seems weird)

Sister- ESFP (same as mom)

Again, it is a guess I just made from what little I know about this, but then I went to The Personality Page and it seems to pair up.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those kind of hobbies fit the INTP description better. I always have a perception of INTJs being more serious and down to earth. Because of their Te they come off as more practical and pragmatic than INFJs or INTPs. To me at least I get a vibe from them that they fit into same category as ESTJs, ISTJs, and ENTJs. However goofy math and scifi geeks are frequently found among INTPs.
Hrm... But it was always his ability to snap from being the nice guy to a total hardass that always got me. Is that INTP too? Hmmm...

He talks about having psychic experiences and being able to read people as well. I might have to get him a copy of the test to do. It'd be interesting to see if I am right, at least...

Everyone, thank you for your replies. :)

I'm fiercely protective of him, as I am of my sister. But like I say, she has Asperger's so she's kind of impossible to type accurately.
Yes, this is why I figure my results tend to land all over the board... Could it be that our functions are naturally balanced out?

·
Registered
571 Posts
My mom is an ESFJ. She fits the description perfectly--nurturing, expressionate, a social butterfly, easily hurt and very sensitive, etc. My mom has been vital in the development of my Fe; it's nice to have an example so mature. She does have her moments of hypersensitivity though. :happy:

As for my dad, I don't really have a clear idea. I really only type the obvious 'fits' in my life. It's a waste of time to try and put everyone inside the box of MBTI (it's really not a box, but people tend to apply it incorrectly). I'd rather look at the person individually; typing the person and then roaming around on the internet discerning their types potential isn't as effective as just getting to know them. My opinion, of course.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts

Mother is ISFJ and her mother (my grandmother) is ESFJ.
Sister is ENTP.
Father is INTJ.
My aunt is INFJ - I haven't been able to type my 3 cousins yet
On father's side grandfather is ENTP not sure what type grandmother , ISFJ is closest.
My cat is ESTP :p
Two goldfish I have look suspiciously INFP >.> ...

Same here. I feel like I am functioning as a translator between them. They very often mis-communicate while I find myself understanding where both of them are coming from. ISFJ-INTJ (ISFp-INTp) relations in socionics are labeled as super-ego. This is one of the least favorable combinations - first there is mutual fascination and respect, then conflict starts. Looking at my dad and mom I would have to say this has been very much true.
Same here. My dad is INTJ and mom ISFJ too. My mom however, has a very developed intuition that could pass as INFJ but I know better that she is not. Way too pragmatic and down-to-earth to be an intuitive.

I agree with you SLN. I don't know how they're still together, they're so different and always arguing.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
What type do you suppose your parents are? Also, if you have siblings, what type are they?
Father- ISTP
Mother- ENFP
No siblings

Do you think type is determined by a combination of the parents' type, or is it learned after birth?
I don't think it is a combination of the parents type, but I do think we are born with it.

So my very first test result was INFJ. But since then it's been wacky and all over the place. Anyhow, it's your turn!
My first test result was INTJ.

-----------------------------

I should point out that I was raised by my grandparents.

Grandfather- ESTJ
Grandmother- ESFJ

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes, this is why I figure my results tend to land all over the board... Could it be that our functions are naturally balanced out?
Probably... that and similar high-functioning, autistic spectrum disorders would naturally affect your behaviour in specific ways, making it kinda difficult to tell where personality ends and Asperger's begins, if you know what I mean? It's kind of like... with colour. If you can imagine looking at something through coloured glasses. The object you're looking at may be any colour underneath, but the way you perceive it is naturally going to be tinged with the colour of the lenses, so it's hard to discern the actual colour of the object. I think it's like that with individual personalities where a condition like Asperger's, or even OCD, is present. It's going to colour the behaviour of that person regardless of their basic, individual personality.

Hope that makes sense...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mom - ISFJ
We get along great. I wasn't raised by her so it's more like a friendship between us.

Big sister - INTJ
We fought like crazy as kids but made up as soon as we got in trouble (passed notes on a string when we got putgon separate levels of the house!)

Made 'em both take the test. :eek:)

Sis and I were raised by g-rents.

G-ma - ESFJ
Very much wants to control her environment. Is very helpful but expects appreciation. She's very stubborn and very emotional

G-pa - INFP(?)
He passed away a year and a half ago but I think he probably was an INFP. Extremely intelligent and spiritual. Not very organized - huge pack rat. 4 college degrees. He always had a writing, poem, prayer for special occasions. He played Santa on more than once.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 40 Posts