Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me hear, I am interested in hearing what you have worked with. How you kinda got from A-B-(future).
How did it evolve?, were you found or did you seek out yourself... Did you build experience and confidence over the years to move to something else, or in the same field just higher up.
Did you have any formal training/education?.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Early to mid teens: part-time incidental babysitting and lawn mowing - knew people needing help
Late teens: summer full-time corn detassler (one summer) - parents signed me up for it; tax-season part-time tax return hand collator (3 winter-springs) - working for my dad; summer full-time farm worker (two summers) - dad was part owner of the farm
Early twenties (in college): lab assistant and problem set grader (4 semesters) - departmental need; summer full-time research assistant (one summer) - offered by professor; summer full-time janitorial/window washer/carpet cleaner (one summer) - needed help and one of the janitorial full-time employees suggested me.
Employment after schooling:
full-time hospital police officer (4 years) - went to police academy for training prior to this; wanted to eventually get into criminal investigation/police detective work
sewer line technician (1 month) - first job after moving to a new state, answered a help-wanted ad
pizza franchise delivery driver and manager trainee (1½ years) - next help-wanted ad
stay-at-home dad (2+ years) - **BEST JOB EVER
working at a company making flexographic printing plates:
general labor in Composing Dept. (6 months) - help-wanted ad again
filing clerk (2½ years) - lateral move to retain me after down-sizing
customer service rep (3+ years) - promotion
CSR/planner (4½ years) - promotion
production planner (10 months) - promotion​
customer service rep at a box company (7 years) - help-wanted posting on the internet in an industry with strong connection to the last employer
Now contracted by project as an on-site rep for an architectural/engineering firm (1+ month) - a friend got me this position

I will soon be 50 and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
15-17: full-time high school & part-time retail work. Cashier in a big box store.
17-19: full-time college & full-time retail work. Supervisor in the same big box store.
19-20: travel bum & full-time work. Quit school and picked up a lot of temp jobs on the road. Office/admin, housekeeping, mail sorting, cafeteria worker, etc.
20-21: full-time college & part-time retail work. Supervisor in a small home electronics store.
21-22: full-time college & no work. Got laid off from my job, decided to stay unemployed until I finished school.
22-30: travel bum & full-time professional work. Engineering technologist. Worked my way up the corporate ladder while working my way around the world.
31-33: full-time work. Middle management in one of the world's largest multinational conglomerates.
33-34 (present): full-time university & full-time work. Same management job. Also completing an undergraduate degree in business/finance.

The jobs I did prior to finishing college were nothing special. Typical minimum wage work. The customer service skills have been quite useful in my professional career though.

I fell into my career. After my first attempt at college fell short, I had no idea what I wanted to do. My mother handed me the program guide for the local Institute of Technology and told me to pick a qualification that was guaranteed to get me a job at the end of it. I agreed that it was better to be earning a good income instead of minimum wage while I figured out what I wanted to do when I grew up. I still haven't figured that out :tongue:

After graduating, I wasn't picky about jobs. I took whatever I could find in my field in the country I happened to be living in at the time. Once I had a bit of experience under my belt, I became a lot more strategic in my choices. I didn't really have any career ambitions when I started out, but I realized early on that I needed to be very careful with my professional reputation. I'm in a very niche industry and there are only a handful of female managers in the field worldwide. I've got nowhere to hide.

I've spent the last 5-6 years under a megawatt spotlight being groomed for an executive level position. No pressure there :dry: Since the corporate world is falling all over itself looking for qualified women to promote to the C-suite these days, I have a very nice career path laid out for me, if I choose to take it.

·
Spam-I-am
14,076 Posts
professional arborist, 25 years
diagnose/treat tree/shrub diseases, problems
micro/macro injection, rodding, cabeling
tree surgeon- remove large trees
doing storm work was a blast, clean up for the power companies after a hurricane/tornado came through
got burnt out so now i deliver wine and spirits to liquor stores, bars, clubs
who ever has a liquor license
meh it's a job

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Im FiNe
@Impavidus

Special thanks for very detailed history :happy:
I am glad to hear about how one sorta moves from one place to another via different ways.
Often sometimes i lack to hear some color or more "how".

For example, some are very much in the position of having to look for a job. While others kinda just get picked.

Was asking because i dont really have any experience yet, and there is not all that much to gather from my parents on how to navigate the market and such, since my dad has been an farmer since he was young, had the same farm since he was 22 maybe, and now 65, and my mother joined him in farming, so she havent had any other job really either, having to apply for anything.
My brothers included havent shifted all that much path.
They spent very little time working under someone else.

Would you had wished that you could had stayed more at one place?.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Number 1 was cleaning houses with my mom who offered the job to me along with several other friends and family that she hires on and now I'm joining in the Peace corp looking to teach English. Then after that I hope to go work in a journalism career.

Its been a long one but I'd hit the ground running time and time again and do the same if it was asked of me

Reactions: Mirkwood

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Graduated in Computer Engineering, been a developer/engineer/programmer for 5 years and changed jobs 2 times.

First I was in a big IT company that develops software for clients, but changed jobs after 3 years as I was stuck in a project in which the manager was bad and demotivated everyone. I have learned that waiting for things to change is not going to change anything, so I needed to do something about it (talked to that manager and a higer up but didn't help).
Then in my second job at first things were going fine, but then went worse so I had to change. I was working with an outsourcing company and allocated to clients' teams, but did not like the disavantages and implicit lower status of it.
My third and actual job offered me better pay and conditions, plus I'm working with internal projects instead of outsourcing. I have mixed feelings about this thought, as on one hand I have faced interesting challenges about development on the business side too, but on the other hand the company seems to lack project management skills. I kinda missed the more structured management of my first company, and noticed that what I've learned from it helps me get things done efficiently.

Over the past yeas my confidence got higher as I felt appreciated by managers as well as being able to get things done. Also, I've been contacted by many companies interested to interview me (there's lack of programmers here), which also helps me feel safe in terms of job hunting. I don't fear losing a job, nor the need to change jobs if I'm not happy with my current one. Nor I'm afraid of asking for decent remuneration and job conditions (I share information with past coworkers about this so we can know our market value - here the companies don't list their pay range in their job ads).

Sometimes I do feel insecure thought, as being a programmer requires in depth technical knowledge and I sometimes feel that I just don't know enough. We need to study and learn with side projects too, as well as keep up with new technologies, and it's not easy to find time for everything.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I moved around entirely by choice. That would be my Enneagram 7 showing :p I get bored easily, so I typically move and/or change jobs every couple of years. Before landing my current job, I hadn't lived in one place for more than 2 years since I turned 18.

I could have quite easily stayed with one company for my entire career. Moving around did open up more options and allow me to move up the ladder faster, but it wasn't necessary for me to be successful.

For me, workplace confidence has been a combination of "fake it until you make it" and "sink or swim." I've been thrown into situations way outside my comfort zone on multiple occasions. You can only gain real confidence through experience. You don't gain experience without pushing your boundaries. There are going to be times where you don't have the answers. That's normal, and it's expected, and it's part of growing as a person and a professional. You just do the best you can, and learn when to ask for help.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
For the most part, no. If I could have been a stay-at-home dad for longer, that would have been great. Our financial situation, however, dictated otherwise.

Looking back and in some ways I wish that I could have remained with the flexographic printing plate company. There was ample to ruffle my feathers...but those concerns and irritations are pandemic in the US business mentality and modality. In other words the things that I didn't like there are widespread in most other companies, so there's no escaping them. The nature of the work and the setting that offered a continual opportunity to learn more and experience newness within routine was very enjoyable. Most of the people were great to work with.

There's also the wish that I college studies/life would have worked out differently for me...but then I may not have married my wife and our daughters would not be alive now.

Ideally I would like being employed by the same employer for my whole life. That assumes a continual sharing of values, good types of routine and boundaries, good types of change and the unexpected, and a constant opportunity to learn intriguing things.

Reactions: Coburn

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Early to mid teens: helped my grandfather (ISTJ, I think) roof houses during the summers with my cousin of the same age (also an INFJ as it turns out). Mostly prep, tearing off old shingles, carrying new shingles, and cleanup...a little bit of nailing down new shingles. Also worked for a bit for my aunt on her farm, mostly clearing land, and helping to feed cows. Helped ith a prolapsed cow, which is really gross if any one is curious.

18 After high school, and before beginning my first semester of college, I worked at International Paper for a summer, doing odd jobs (mowing grass, clean up, painting, and whatever else I was told to do). My mother worked there as an accountant and got me the job. After this I attended two semesters at a local college on a scholarship (Stephen F. Austin State University). Pulled decent grades, but was utterly lost and wanted only to travel.

19-20 Worked at a hospital, washing and folding linen, collecting and taking out trash, cleaning the occasional room, and just cleaning in general. I eventually became a floor finisher; stripping, waxing, and buffing floors. Took a month long, shoe-string backpacking trip to Europe; hitchhiking, sleeping in fields and parks, living on Ritz crackers, depending on the (abundant) kindness of strangers, etc.

20-21 Worked in maintenance at the same hospital for a time (part of which was operating the incinerator...burned a few amputated limbs and the occasional bag of pot confiscated by the local police...the stuff they did not smoke themselves), before going to work at a paper forms manufacturing plant where I worked 10-16 hour days, usually 7 days a week for about a year or so, on my feet putting forms in boxes and the like, before being promoted to over-night shipping and warehouse work. Took a six month backpacking trip through various countries in Europe afterward (China, Tibet, Nepal, and India).

22-25 Began working at a Ryder Truck Rental outlet through a temp service; cleaning, washing, fueling and detailing eighteen wheelers and trailers. I was soon hired full time. Also began changing tires and brakes, performing preventative maintenance, and whatever else I was told to do. I obtained my CDL with Hazmat certification.

26 Got a job via a fellow Ryder employee on a construction job putting conduit for fiber optic cable from Odessa Texas eastward. We began in San Angelo, and I bailed around Killeen. I worked with a shovel mostly, and also spliced together the conduit, pot-holed for utility lines, cleared fence line, worked with the plow crew a bit, fixed/replaced broken water lines, etc. Tough job, but rewarding in a way. Quit to travel to Nepal for six months (with a month in Thailand in between).

27 Returned to the paper manufacturing plant, working nights (graveyards) supplying rolls of paper to the printers, performing general cleanup and maintenance (basically whatever I was told to do). Signed up with the U.S. Air Force, but had to wait for approval due to chronic sinus issues (silly).

28-36 U.S. Air Force. Worked as an Arabic Cryptologic Linguist. One tour in Afghanistan.

37-40 Traveled to various places; three trips to Mexico, most countries in Central America, Sri Lanka, India, and two trips to Nepal. Lazy four years. Scattered.

41-present (turn 42 this September) Started studying Tibetan and Buddhism at a monastery in Nepal. Tentatively considering studying nursing or EMT training, but probably just to obtain the skills and volunteer, if it manifests. I was in the recent earthquake and was of use, but would like to know more, particularly in the realm of first aid. I was winging it at first, and trying to draw on my childhood and minimal Combat Life Saver Skills (which I thankfully did not need to utilize in this instance). At any rate, helping others agreed with me.

·
Rogue Jungian
1,393 Posts
retail clothing store
coffee shop
babysitting
library summer reading program for kids
child youth and mental health workshops
tutoring
nature reserve
waitressing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.