Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find this interesting because I feel there should always been some differences even among us as a group in INFP or and type for that matter. I think that it may be mainly because of this idea:

(I truly believe that if you're any type then yes, You'll have what I will refer to as a more "Natural Preference" towards specific functions. Most would suggest you are born with this preference, though I've been trying to figure out a more eloquent way to verbalize what I'm seeing here in my mind for the past week or so. But I've failed, so sorry for what's about to happen here, I'll do my best.)

I agree we all have a more natural gravitation towards these specific functions, however I feel that many other things can come into play here! Such as, where you were born and all of the cultural differences that it may envelope, the function preference of those who raised you - as well as those you spent the most time with growing up. I really feel like all of these things can/will DRASTICALLY influence what a cognitive function test may show you as percentage use in each function. For one example: There are some cultures that are in general MUCH more extroverted than others by a longgggg shot (You could also say introverted as well). So with that someone that lets say types as an INFP in a culture like this will most certainly come across as an Extroverted person (at least visually) especially in contrast to certain other cultures.

IT will depend on how *DEEP* you feel these -influences- can run **I used introversion/extroversion since it would be the shortest to contrast quickly, so don't focus on just Introversion/Extroversion I mean this towards every function**. Personally I feel that they can run deeper than words I know can allow me to explain. So in turn these contextual situations for each individual in the same specific type could show some drastic differences on a cognitive function test and would suggest that each individual has a chance that they will adapt with typically less used functions a good bit in order to adapt with their surroundings, environment and or culture. Through development in these less preferred functions(To a point <-- making sure that's noted!)

Anyways sorry if this has been talked about before, over and over. And or if you find the topic tiresome, feel free to ignore my ramblings.

My function stacking's have been pretty damn consistent and are as follows most of the time. Fi,Ne,Ni,Ti,Si,Te,Fe,Se .... Also just noting it also will suggest my 'most likely type is INFP' every time as well, I'd Love to see how other peoples 'typically' stack up I understand it may not always be exactly the same.... Or maybe it is for you! Either way I will enjoy seeing them, and thanks for reading my book-of-a-post. Hopefully it was understandable too I feel like I may have just Idea vomited in writing a bit.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Well I am still trying to understand Ni as a critical parent for an INFP as I have a similar function stack of Fi Ne Ni Ti Se Fe Te Si
which is kind of peculiar if you observe the functions only, say to say my Se>Si which is quite unlike many INFPs here Who have Si usually as their 3rd function. I perfectly understand that you have one preference over one or the other (Ne vs. Ni) and all that but then again all these possible combination of function stacks are kind of forced into 6 templates to define their roles so it is getting difficult to make perfect sense with the roles and the functional stack

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am still trying to understand Ni as a critical parent for an INFP as I have a similar function stack of Fi Ne Ni Ti Se Fe Te Si
which is kind of peculiar if you observe the functions only, say to say my Se>Si which is quite unlike many INFPs here Who have Si usually as their 3rd function. I perfectly understand that you have one preference over one or the other (Ne vs. Ni) and all that but then again all these possible combination of function stacks are kind of forced into 6 templates to define their roles so it is getting difficult to make perfect sense with the roles and the functional stack
Agreed, thats essentially what I was trying to get at but failed in not being direct lol Hey I know what you're saying my Se (common among INFP its is terrible for me. The only time I've ever used it was when I use to skateboard lol And that was YEARS ago.

I've seen my Ti sneak in front of Ni once or twice in my results, My Te is about 50/50 where it's in my stack or one above. It's pretty weak either way.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well, I went to take a cognitive function test in order to answer this thread and what I got: Most Likely: ENTP or Second Possibility: INTP or Third Possibility: INTJ. I really should stop taking these tests in the morning when I'm still in a good mood and ready to face whatever the world has to offer me. I would definitely be more INFPey in the evening when I've gotten a beating from the reality during the day.

Here's the stacking anyway:
Ne - Ti - Ni - Te - Fe - Fi - Si - Se

It's pretty much the same as usual but Fi tends to be my most developed function (I have to say that this test had particularly dull Fi-questions which may also influence the result). Well, I suck at sensing and I got somewhat high scores in thinking. I think it's because I value science, scientific method and data analysis as means of analyzing the world and also have a somewhat good understanding of them. Ne does have a big part to play in my thoughts, inner world and actions.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went to take a cognitive function test in order to answer this thread and what I got: Most Likely: ENTP or Second Possibility: INTP or Third Possibility: INTJ. I really should stop taking these tests in the morning when I'm still in a good mood and ready to face whatever the world has to offer me. I would definitely be more INFPey in the evening when I've gotten a beating from the reality during the day.

Here's the stacking anyway:
Ne - Ti - Ni - Te - Fe - Fi - Si - Se

It's pretty much the same as usual but Fi tends to be my most developed function (I have to say that this test had particularly dull Fi-questions which may also influence the result). Well, I suck at sensing and I got somewhat high scores in thinking. I think it's because I value science, scientific method and data analysis as means of analyzing the world and also have a somewhat good understanding of them. Ne does have a big part to play in my thoughts, inner world and actions.
Haha I understand I've had funky results once or twice mainly when I'm angry or extremely frustrated for whatever reason. Ne plays a very large part for me as well as an artist I'm sure you can see how it would lol Thank you for the reply I def notice some of the questions are dull myself too but I know what they're getting at so meh lol

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was never in the camp that believed in "shadow" functions. So I don't know about personal "stacks".

And I have no clue how Fi can't be first in the stack. How Ne can't be in second. How Si can't be third. And finally, how Te can't be last.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
The functional stacking of an INFP is a technical term that always refers to four functions for each type. In the case of INFP it's Fi, Ne, Si, Te. There is, however, nothing wrong with talking freely about how each individual feels that the different functions manifest with different strengths in his life.

I am personally quite content with those four functions being the main parts of my personality. Sometimes Fe and Ti might shine a bit through though.

Reactions: ElliCat

·
Registered
828 Posts
My stack is in my signature below.

I agree that our preferences are largely shaped by our environment, though some is inborn. I could never seem to shake my dom Fi and undifferentiated iNtuition growing up, so even though I felt pressured to be Si-Te (like my dad), I only ever succeeded in appearing somewhat Ni-Te. Then when I got to college and really started learning how to THINK, it's like my mind said "screw this Si-Te business, Ti is the bomb!" So I went into some kind of Fi-Ti mode for many years. Until someone pointed out, "Our culture is very 'Not this but that,' yet it's sometimes more appropriate to think in terms of 'Both this and that'" ...and that jump-started my Ne :D So now it would seem I have Fi-Ne-Ti.

I tend to think of "type" as dom + aux, with anything after that being negotiable. (Maybe even the aux.) But someone in the Cognitive Functions forum has suggested that the "typical" eight-function stack may hold true for everyone, but ONLY as default mode, while we can choose to use other modes. I like that model because to me it makes the most sense of everything. (But I'm still not convinced I default to Si more than Ti.)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I really enjoy this thread.

The question seems to correlate with the Mistypes.
And I don't know why but E, N, T, P to me seems to be "positive twin" whereas I, S, F, J seems to be the "sad twin"... And apparently I am not lonely to feel it.

INFPs have a swingy personality. Others types seems to emphasize the fact we don't know yet who we are. Very interesting because questions because that can explain why we need Fi so much. I make the hypothesis that our subjective values is here to answer at an existential crisis.

Philosophy was describe by Nietzsche as a system made to justify his instinct=values. I could not agree more, what create our instinct if it is not experience!
Indeed even non-INFP it is evident, function that way.

For a reason I don't know yet, people "choose" of a definitive personality. In my point of view, INFPs do not. And that's why we are great storyteller, character-inventor, etc
But when the INFP become interesting is if we take into account thats each values are more complex, and can be represented by invented characters.
Yes, INFPs in general don't write philosophy. But their stories have morality. And this morality is the synthesis of the values (characters) fighting each others. That's what we call a "good ending"!

My theory can be irrelevant for the moment.
But can be interesting for the mistypes. Each one of you, dear INFP, has a character (sometimes the hero or not) created to resolves the existential absurdity of our life.
It appears Tolkien (INFP) for example resolves the problem with the help of Sam Samwise (ISFJ) Frodo (INFP) lonely cannot destroy the ring. In La Peste, Albert Camus kill one of his character Tarrou (IXFJ) because he was not moral enough (the plague has a metaphorical sense) and only Bernard Rieux (INTP) is surviving at the end. Virginia Woolf in Mrs Dalloway kill Septimus (EXTP) and his death provoke a deliverance in Mrs Dalloway (INFJ). Woolf seems to put all her hopes in the Dalloway daughter an ESFP...
With Lewis, Aslan (i think he is a stylish ESTJ) sum up the thing.

Well, now, I ask myself a question. It seems INFP were regarding their heroes as something they are not but regret not to be. That's interesting because, maybe values are made of the regret of our forced choice influenced by the sensibility of the INFP... or maybe not, I don't know yet that.
If the first preposition were right, Tolkien may have the regret of making too ENTP choice. And for that, he create Sam the strictly opposite.

finally, i will answer to the thread xD
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||||||||||| 10.15
Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||||||||||||||||||| 9.7
Introverted Intuition (Ni) |||||||||||||||||||| 9.29
Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||||||||| 7.39
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||| 4.73
Extroverted Thinking (Te) |||||||||| 4.24
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) ||| 0.98
Extroverted Sensation (Se) || -0.52

They mistype with INTP, ISTJ and INTJ. Funny enough, I have a INTP character that always make morally bad decisions in order to help an I-ENFP heroine. At the end, another character ESFP finally save them all...

·
Premium Member
15,283 Posts
I'll post my results when I can get to my *regular* computer. I always come up INFP however the results are embarrassing for me to look at because Fe and the *thinking* function is so low at *unused*. *turns red in the face*

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was never in the camp that believed in "shadow" functions. So I don't know about personal "stacks".

And I have no clue how Fi can't be first in the stack. How Ne can't be in second. How Si can't be third. And finally, how Te can't be last.
Thank you for your comment and perspective! I do not agree with it at all however and firmly stand against being any given type and always only having those functions available to you. I appreciate trying to see your stance and do see how I 'could' feel the same way, I've just always felt things like this are much to complex and individuals everywhere will show up in different ways. :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just did the test and got this
Fi - Ni - Fe - Si - Ne - Se - Ti - Te

But to me it feels like this
Fi - Si - Ne - Fe - Ni - Te - Se - Ti

:S
I know what you mean lol I'm super certain I'm Si however strong it is, that's to be assumed though my Se is utter shite lol My Ti will always rank about even with my Te sometimes more! And my Ne, is ussually my 2nd function and typically my 3rd shows up as Ni. I do use Ni quite a bit like improving music and lyrics when writing songs. Pulling this outta thin air type stuff with no external influences to start the thought. However I do Ne much more naturally and more often. My Te is really annoying though I kind of hate Te in a way lol I know it's there in the background I ussually just kick it to the side and 'try' to use Ti logic to back up my Fi reasoning's which make them INSANELYYYYYYYYYY subjective lol

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll post my results when I can get to my *regular* computer. I always come up INFP however the results are embarrassing for me to look at because Fe and the *thinking* function is so low at *unused*. *turns red in the face*
My Te is sometimes shown as my last function and only in 10% use lol Right behind Fe at like 15% or something Fi is always first though at like 90-100% 2nd is always Ne or Ni, third is usually Ti or Si for me :) So I wouldn't feel bad about having your functions fly around a bit ! Unless you're the type of person I would equate to a "Creationist" in terms of whats in the bible is it and thats all, Sort of in relation there are people who believe Type is type and all you'll ever use and can use is your main four functions and the others literally don't exist for you. (Very Te logic and Se type reasoning) Not that there is ANYTHING WRONG with thinking that way, just pointing out if you did! Then that'd be the only reason I'd 'really' stress the results on my cog function tests :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My stack is in my signature below.

I agree that our preferences are largely shaped by our environment, though some is inborn. I could never seem to shake my dom Fi and undifferentiated iNtuition growing up, so even though I felt pressured to be Si-Te (like my dad), I only ever succeeded in appearing somewhat Ni-Te. Then when I got to college and really started learning how to THINK, it's like my mind said "screw this Si-Te business, Ti is the bomb!" So I went into some kind of Fi-Ti mode for many years. Until someone pointed out, "Our culture is very 'Not this but that,' yet it's sometimes more appropriate to think in terms of 'Both this and that'" ...and that jump-started my Ne :D So now it would seem I have Fi-Ne-Ti.

I tend to think of "type" as dom + aux, with anything after that being negotiable. (Maybe even the aux.) But someone in the Cognitive Functions forum has suggested that the "typical" eight-function stack may hold true for everyone, but ONLY as default mode, while we can choose to use other modes. I like that model because to me it makes the most sense of everything. (But I'm still not convinced I default to Si more than Ti.)
Agreed I ALWAYS have Fi dom, Always. But sometimes my 2nd is Ni with Ne like -2% behind it or vice versa. And my third is kinda up for grabs but typically it'll be Ti/Si. I definitely DONT think it holds true for everyone, I know I use Ti way more than Te and that I'm still leading everything with Fi and Ne/Ni. I think I would very much approve of sub-typing to an extent. Like INFP-Ti/Ni or INFJ-Te/Si. Type groupings, getting things more individualized as we can, people are far to complex I feel a lot of times to fit snugly in the basic four functions of any type.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really enjoy this thread.
Thank you :D It feels nice when someone else likes my crazy illogical thoughts :) I enjoyed reading what you said as well I can find myself doing similar things and it's manifested into own physical appearance. I mean look at me, covered in tattoos full sleeve (arm) full leg sleeve, chest is all tatt'd and so on. It's almost like the way you see those Moths develop "Eye type designs" in their wings to ward of predators. I do identify with the way I look and just honestly Like these types of body mods, but I could see how it also might be a subconscious way of appearing more "masculine" or "strong" in order to just avoid conflict by keeping people at a distance since it intimidates most people... or well it use too! Maybe not as much now and I'm happy for that :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The functional stacking of an INFP is a technical term that always refers to four functions for each type. In the case of INFP it's Fi, Ne, Si, Te. There is, however, nothing wrong with talking freely about how each individual feels that the different functions manifest with different strengths in his life.

I am personally quite content with those four functions being the main parts of my personality. Sometimes Fe and Ti might shine a bit through though.
Thanks for the reply man, I always 'really' enjoy your eloquently concise insights. And typically agree 100% with almost everything I've seen you state here on the forums. I'm much more ramble(y) than I'd like to be :/ I have trouble finding the right words a lot of times, and have to explain through elaborate examples.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Cognitive Process
Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se)
********************* (21.6)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si)
*********************************** (35.4)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne)
************************************* (37.7)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni)
******************* (19)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te)
********************** (22.2)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti)
********************************* (33.4)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)
****************** (18.2)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi)
*************************************************** (51.9)
excellent use

Fi > Ne > Si > Ti > Te > Se > Ni > Fe

Reactions: Mac The Knife

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cognitive Process
Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se)
********************* (21.6)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si)
*********************************** (35.4)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne)
************************************* (37.7)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni)
******************* (19)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te)
********************** (22.2)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti)
********************************* (33.4)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)
****************** (18.2)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi)
*************************************************** (51.9)
excellent use

Fi > Ne > Si > Ti > Te > Se > Ni > Fe
I wish my Si was as high as yours is showing xD Would help me in a lot of ways, Having my stacking close to Fi,Ne,Ni,Ti,Si,Fe,Te,Se mainly having *Fi,Ne,Ni* makes for a whole lot of this feeling for me personally
And with Si usually following those first three I think attributes to my seriously intense self-critical nature. Thank you for posting your results :) ( just if it wasn't clear I was directing that Gif towards my function stacking and not yours!!)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts