Personality Cafe banner

What is your general posting philosophy?

• Post anything, anywhere, it's all good.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I prefer focused and fewer responses, refraining from making a post if I have little to add

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • The same as option 2, but I'm willing to answer polls to provide more accurate general data.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 22.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Make sure to read all the poll options, certain options are similar save for a few key differences]

When you start to consider submitting to a topic in the forums do you go through a mental checklist to determine if your post has any purpose or needs being said?

I find I will often completely halt what I was writing and throw it in the bin because I realize I don't have too much interesting, or that's rarely been mentioned before to say. I used to post to pretty much every and any forum that interested me, regardless of what I may or may not add the conversation.

However even if my answer is not unique and seemingly benal, I have no problems submitting into a poll, as I see that less as a request for unique and specific instances as apposed to the general consensus and more useful for every generic answer it gets.

So then, what are your posting policies, if you have any such requirements for your posts?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I always make sure that:

1. My post has a main idea or purpose
2. That it doesn't have any errors or any logic fallacies
3. That it isn't long-winded and that my main points are concise
4. Grammar and spelling is correct
5. That my tone is nice and that I don't come across as harsh or callous

I want to make sure I do post content that contributes to the discussion and that I represent myself well. I tend to shy away from posting in threads on topics I don't know too much about. I feel like in a lot of debate threads I go unnoticed because I play the middle ground so often. I feel like people, especially NTs, just want to fight each other in those threads with polarising opinions. I think I also go off into tangents and I can always be more concise. However, I love words and to write so I do tend to post incredibly long paragraphs. I am sorry haha. :kitteh:

·
5,244 Posts
I choose other, as I can do both 1 and 2, depending on how I feel, I have periods when I am more anxioux or generally feel less of a need to express myself, or when I am more self-critical. Then I have periods when I am very chatty, and there is little barrier to talk at all... which has pros and cons.

I tend to view foruming more like a conversation with a group of people, it evolves as you go, I don't feel the need to have a well thoughout article, to make a presentation, and it is fine for me if I post about something where my mind is not fully made up yet, to be met with counterarguments that will help me shape my view on something, I like that process of communication.

It also depends on the thread to some extent, some are designated to be more laid-back than others.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If I'm posting something, it has to be meaningful and/or relevant. As such, I try to be off-topic as little as possible and provide my opinions in a clear, respectful and hopefully helpful manner. However, I tend to ramble a lot and my posts get long easily, which I hope nobody minds ^^' I like exposing opinions, so when I do, it's in an extensive manner. Usually, I'm very humble about posting, though. If I feel as though my contribution will be worthless, I refrain from posting and may simply just vote on the poll.

Lately, I've been trying to be less afraid of posting my opinions and being more confrontational. So, in this forum, my post count is probably higher than in any other forum I've been in, as I've been trying to more actively post since I feel as though I discard my opinions as worthless to the discussion too often for that to actually be true. I can only hope my posts actually have some worth to the discussion.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
i don't have a posting philosophy. If i want something to add, i probably will. I also don't check my post for possible grammar / spelling errors.

·
Premium Member
15,291 Posts
  • I love the superficial fun threads.
  • I do a lot of "positioning" in my responses. Example "I do this..." or "I believe this..."
  • Seems I'm loaded with opinions, but not much follow up discussion.
  • I don't do a lot of advice giving.
  • "I"... "I"... "I" -- just about never "we", "us", "you", "they"
  • I *feel* like, at times, I have revealed too much personal info, maybe 3% way too much personal info posts.
  • I don't pay much attention to spelling, I probably should. I just kind of vomit up a post.
  • Sometimes, I will edit the hell out of a post. I also have been know to write a post, then delete it, for various reasons.
  • I hold back A LOT.
  • I voted "OTHER", due to the explanation above.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I don't have many set-in-stone posting habits. I'll shit-post every once in a while, just stick to the Venting/Random Thoughts/Happy threads and treat the forums like a blog, or stick to the lighter-hearted threads.

Usually I try to have substance in my posts, but every once in a while a simple sentence conveys more than a 7 paragraph essay/answer.

·
Administrator
14,154 Posts
Sometimes I'll just write out an entire post and delete it, or erase it to summarize. Like this post was kind of tldr.

I can have many purposes for posts--not all of them are just to add information to a discussion. Sometimes, it can be because I want to express something and sometimes they can just be to make another person feel better etc. I'm not going to go into all the different reasons I may want to say something.

I really enjoy the stream of consciousness threads in which there is not supposed to be a specific format to posts beyond that. But sometimes I put a lot of effort into those, or cohesive arguments as well.

I suppose even the arguments often follow this kind of method:

1. Brainstorm
2. Pace around making arguments in my head, and judging which ones sound 'good.'
2. Or just writing the first things to come to mind, as brainstorm
3. Writing them down...attempting to have some logical form.
4. Being like...woah...that's super long or
4. Being like...wow...that's not explained well enough

5. posting anyway or
5. editing down EVEN MORE, taking out paragraphs, redundancies, replacing with more concise points

6. Feeling very critical...wondering about the 'good' feeling about saying something, and also about how it may be misunderstood, or how it may be received.
7. Wait for feedback or think about it more on my own.

Basically, I do put a lot of effort into many of my posts, but the method isn't really very clear or articulated, even to me.

I don't feel I'm obligated to adhere to others' ideas of what is valuable though--some people's trash is another person's treasure. Some people may appreciate posts I don't feel are very good, and some may hate posts I really like.

When I get low energy, I'll usually stop posting in more topical threads and focus more on the stream of consciousness/feeling threads where I feel less obligated to consider how much I'm contributing to a conversation, and rather focus on refining my own 'does it feel good/is it true' process of expression. I also enjoy reading other posts like this--as well as a lot of different types of other posts--I don't find myself expecting or critiquing other people's posts that often.

But sometimes I get scattered and post in a lot of topical threads...so it just depends. My drunk posts are nonsensical and sometimes have weird, extreme feeling tones. I try to avoid drunk posting for that reason, though I admit I actually enjoy writing in nonsense and with weird undertones, and there are a couple threads where I feel comfortable with that, but still try to keep it on topic since PerC is not actually my diary...even though I sometimes treat it like it is.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
*Slides in on wheelies, scuffing up the hard wood floors*

*Doesn't slow down, but instead takes out huge megaphone*

I POST WAT I WAAaAaaANT!!!!

*Transforms into I giant balloon and flutters away*

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Reactions: attic

·
Registered
712 Posts
I post mostly when I feel like I want to express my opinion on the topic at hand, or when I'm trying to avoid something or divert my mind. It has to have a meaning or a purpose to me first. I try to keep it on topic but sometimes there's something somebody says mid-thread that just catches my attention and then it's like tunnel vision, I have to write about it, get it out of me, even when it derails the thread.

I think less about adding anything relevant to the discussion. If I think too much about the quality of my posts, I'd never post anything because I'd get so caught up in the details, and then it becomes an act for the audience and nobody cares that much about what I have to say anyway (it's all been said by somebody somewhere anyway). It's actually a problem in itself when/if people actually started to care, or expect something from me I'm not prepared to offer. It's all about me and where I want to direct my energy at the moment, and it's better for me to direct it here than to something that has a negative effect on me outside the forum.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Some threads are set up for posting whatever, like Stream of Consciousness, Random Ideas, and Confession threads.

Polls (whether actually voting or more freeform or presented as Have you ever experienced... or Do you ever...) are rather open-ended and implicitly ask for many responses regardless of repetition of ideas. Indeed some thread creators are intent on looking for patterns.

For other threads a topic may be submitted for consideration and discussion. On those threads I am more considerate of what may have previously been posted by others and un-nuanced repetition plays a factor in my decision making regarding posting. At other times despite my post being repetitive, I might feel that an idea needs to be reinforced by my sharing.

Sometimes time is a factor. If what I want to post will take longer than the time I have, I don't post.

Sometimes the prevailing tone of the thread responses may sway me not to post, my thinking that what I have to say would be squandered time and effort, a pearls before swine situation.

Sometimes I post simply because I have an overwhelming feeling to let it out.

For threads in which the OP was about a situation of personal stress, existential crisis, plea for help, or that sort of thing, I often feel compelled to try to comfort or console when I am able, to come alongside the person. The more personally relatable the situation the more likely I am to reply.

Overall I tend to post to be helpful in some way, whether that help is for myself (to share something bottled up), to help provide alternative perspectives, to provide insights, to provide a chuckle, or simply to keep a fun thread going like Change a Letter.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Voted #2.
I will skip polls if I have nothing to add in text form.

Yes, I go through a quick mental checklist sort of. It's not really a checklist, it's just that I read the text and I just swallow the information, as if I was listening to someone irl vent to me. My mind gets to work if there are specific questions provided by the poster. If I find my brain begin to answer the questions, then I hit reply, read the Q carefully and answer. After that, I elaborate with more text connected to other ideas, which is the work of Ne, obvly. But my starting point is always an OP's direct questions.

Half the time on the forums, I write a post and after five thousand paragraphs, I realise it's not worth posting (reasons vary) so I hit cancel and go away.

But I find that it's best that I write the post, and then decide whether to hit 'post' or 'cancel', instead of only concocting it in my brain. Reason is when I write, other connected ideas comes up; aka writing helps me think in depth, and sometimes something that seemed superficial in my brain turns into depth when I type and organize. Being forced to ruminate is a lot of fun and stimulating, and gets me to have an inner conversation that helps me know myself better. So even when I decide to cancel the whole thing, I enjoy that I had that private conversation with myself. It's never a waste of time, for that reason.

I tend to avoid very short posts, like one liners. Or if someone addresses me, and I want to say something super quick, I'll resort to just hitting their Thank button. Doing the button thing makes me feel as if I didn't express to the person the entirety of what I am thinking and I feel that they deserve more of my energy, but it's just I'm extremely uncomfortable with one liners. I don't know why. I have allowed myself every now and then to think screw it and do it anyway (occupy space I mean), but I keep that to "fun" threads instead of discussion threads. Because in discussion threads I feel like I'm occupying valuable space for no reason.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,657 Posts
I said "other" because I think it's fine to post anything anywhere I feel interested to do so, even when my main purpose is to share a lame joke, but there are a few things I won't do.

I don't post on the sex/relationship forum that much—even if I want to or have something to say—because it could make me look hypocritical when I say I'm a Christian. I've already got enough hypocritical things on here.

I don't post on many other type forums, unless there's an invitation, because I don't want to potentially bother people with my INFPness. I mean, there are so many INFPs, and another INFP has probably posted on that thread already!

I also refrain from posting when the thread has been adequately answered. It's rare that I don't have something to add, but it does happen. In that case, I thank my favorite answers and move on.

I rarely write posts and then delete them, unless it would turn into an argument with someone who has some issues. Sometimes it's better to not join a fight that I can't win.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
713 Posts
I try to elaborate when I can, but I tend to lurk more than I do post. I don't want to say anything if I personally feel like I can't properly contribute to a thread, or have anything insightful to share (which in turn has made me really critical about what I do say which means I refrain more than I do actually say things.) I definitely take note of what's already been posted/said, since many users here can say what I'm thinking in a much more eloquent way. When it comes to more personal topics, I refrain more as I don't want to be unhelpful, but if I can contribute in some way I feel might be of help, I'll share my thoughts.

I don't write abnormally 'long' posts, if only because I start to get repetitive, but I try to find a nice balance between writing too little or writing too much. It's pointless for me to write a sentence or two most of the time, unless I can really be clear and concise about something that doesn't warrant further elaboration. Also with polls, it really depends. I'll vote, but sometimes refrain from explaining my answer because it feels redundant.

I also tend to stay here within the confines of INFPdom, though I lurk elsewhere on the forum.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I scrap what I write all the time

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
I do tend to make long thought out posts, but I'm not opposed to chiming in with short answers too. I don't always have time to read all the previous posts so I may say things others have already but that doesn't bother me. I have loads of unfinished posts that I just never got around to but thought the thread looked interesting. I don't like to post ones that don't seem complete.

I also tend to post and forget, it's more about me processing the thought than it is about getting thanks or replies, though of course those are nice - I just don't sit there wondering what people thought about what I just said.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I haven't been here for very long - just over a month, I think - and I don't know a great deal about the types and enneagrams and whatnot, so I feel as if my postings are very limited.

If the original post intrigues me and I begin to have fun writing a response, I'm most likely to post it. Sometimes I think I have something to say and then begin writing, but realise I don't have as much as I thought, then lose interest and cancel the post altogether. At the proof-read, if I feel I'm too sassy or snarky, sometimes I just remove the whole text if I can't find a way to make it less ... confrontational, I suppose, unless I'm not in the INFP forum ... or I'll post it if I think it's something that needs to be said amongst what everybody else has contributed to the thread. There are threads where I would like to contribute and take part in, but don't feel knowledgeable enough to do so.

Yesterday I began researching bbcoding in hopes to make my posts more fun for myself, like a some child creating a border for their short story. I'm in 'advanced post' a lot of the time previewing what I've done, if the tables I was playing around with are what I wanted and whatnot, and if the shade of red is what I want (if not, I google bbcode colours and look for a lighter or darker shade). I wish I could Justify the text alignment in tables, but it doesn't seem to work on this forum. I practise all this in less informative threads that have quizzes or "What's your ... sign?" until I know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I guess option 2. Sometimes I reply to polls but am too lazy/uninterested other times.

It's rare that I don't have something to say, honestly, which is why I post as often as I do. But what I have to say on an a subject can change over time.

*As was pointed out, there are some threads that are open-ended enough for people to share whatever. Even on those threads, I won't say something unless I really feel a certain way about what I'm saying. Stream is probably my fav thread, because I can talk about whichever topic without having to make a thread about every one of them.

·
Registered
Infp 6w5
2,797 Posts
Half n' half shitposts and normal discussion

I do try to answer polls honestly unless they are also shitposts. I also try to keep my normal posts clear and concise, between 0-3 paragraphs with some grammar and plenty of space between tangents. Sometimes my writing still gets messy, especially if I don't have time to edit/think it through.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts