Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I found myself in a leadership position in which I'll be working closely with an INFP - I'll be taking part in collaboration and supervision.

INFPs, what are some things you wish your bosses knew? What have supervisors done that upset you? What kind of working environment do you thrive in?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Respect and acknowledge his/her work (even when he/she does it in his/her own unique way that may be a bit out of the ordinary), understand that they are not always competitive, yet they still probably want to do their best, do not talk down to them (unless they deserve discipline, which they may), try to understand what may be going on their minds before judging them (or better, have a discussion about them if you question what they are doing-you would be surprised as there's almost always a method to their madness). Again, as long as you don't judge their work too hastily when it seems inadequate and respect what they are doing for you, they will work their *** for you with utmost care and precision (it's OK to praise them because generally speaking they tend to be modest, though also they may feel a bit awkward if praised too much in public, as they favor teamwork rather than being individual "power-achievers".)

(That is not to say that INFPs don't have "ambition" or don't care about achieving, but they tend not to be too public about these things. To be honest, I just want to do the best job I can, to the best of my ability, while also wanting my coworkers to do well rather than competing against them. I want all of us to be a team and be successful in whatever enterprise it is we are part of. I want to achieve, but not just for money or glory, but because it's my job that we all achieve, if that makes sense.)

Said from personal experience. I do well with the bosses that respect my job rather than perpetually questioning it, and I always try hard to do my best. I did way worse when the bosses were biased against me and never had any idea of where I was coming from-thus they never respected what I did for them (I still tried my best, but it was way more stressful and less productive), which led to mutual unhappiness.

Best of luck, I am sure all will go well as long as there's mutual respect. :)

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I like positions where I can do my own thing rather than working with a group or another coworker. Just give me an assignment, and leave me alone and I can get alot of stuff done pretty quickly. I don't really do well with the social atmosphere of a workplace like the gossip or bantering back and forth with coworkers. To me, when I'm on the clock I'm there to work not to socialize. Just something to keep in mind if they are not being social.

Also, I like to be innovative and to feel that my ideas are listened to even if the boss or manager doesn't think they would work. That's their own call but I'm always looking for ways to innovate the business, do things more efficiently, or motivate the team.

As far as how to manage me, give me a challenge or inspirational quotes/stories. Those are the things that I respond to most and when my heart is in the game, I get some serious results.

Some things bosses or managers have done in the past that pissed me off were give me either wrong information, or not enough information where I could do my job effectively. If you are higher up than me, I expect you to bring your A game because that's what I bring every time and if I can't be effective at my job it's no good for either of us.

Another thing would be going back on their word or making empty promises. I understand things change, and they probably have alot of stuff to deal with as it is, but if you say something you better deliver otherwise I lose trust in you and your ability to lead.

Best of luck managing your new INFP.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Let them manage themself and give them more of a business model to go by. I do best when I can self manage and I do amazing work when I can do this. I mean I always work hard/put my best forward but I might not continue working for people who don't appreciate me (in a fair manner), who give me more work than I can possibly get done, and micro management is a no-no.

I am a manager at my work. I hesitated because I don't like supervision and I like to self manage. But I read the first step in management is self management. Delegating is great and needed. I also get the different care teams to try to solve problems within their care team and to cover themselves. An INFP isn't flashy and doesn't like attention and shies from compliments, but if you take them seriously and value them, they really can shine.

Though I think enneagram should be taken into account. I am a type 6 and might be different than others. I also have a bordeline judger/perciever aspect.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ooh, ENTP and INFP combo! One of my favorite co-managers in my office is an ENTP, which is odd because we are really extremely different, but we appreciate the differences. So there's where I'd start: appreciate the differences. INFPs and ENTPs are both great at seeing the big picture, generating new ideas, intuiting flaws in the system that could be improved (albeit, I think mostly ENTPs are focused on the impersonal factors of the system while the INFPs focus on how the system is affecting people). Where we are very very different is the logic factor ... I understand logic, I can use logic as well as any T, but it's not where I come from ... I come from the people perspective. Any problem, any solution, any change flows through my filter of how is this going to affect people? My ENTP friend almost never sees things that way but again, he appreciates I bring a different point of view to the analysis.

Like others have said, let the INFP have time and space to get his/her work done independently and quietly. Don't assume because the INFP is quiet and not saying anything that nothing is going on inside the brain; nothing could be further from the truth! And don't assume because we need lots of time to ourselves that we don't like you ... we just need that quiet space to give our best.

I come up with many many ideas and love running them by Ts because you can easily see the flaws in logic and send me back to the drawing board; ENTPs also can see the good parts of the idea and suggest more logical/effective solutions which make the idea way better. Try not to judge your INFP colleague as being a flake if they come up with flaky ideas ... sometimes they will and sometimes they will come up with brilliant ideas. If the idea is flaky, let them know but in a kind way.

I think one of the biggest challenges with ENTPs is often you guys are the smartest ones in the room (and you know it) and you have little tolerance for stupidity. If an INFP thinks you think they're stupid, they will close up shop with you emotionally and you'll get nothing from them. They might smile at you and cooperate, but you'll never get their best or even know the richness of what they're thinking/experiencing.

Best of luck! I think you and your INFP can get along swimmingly with mutual respect and consideration!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maybe it's not the same where you live, but here in the Netherlands I would expect to be treated with respect, my opinions should be valued and you should just tell me when I am doing a good or a bad job.
On the other hand I have my own responsibilities. If I am not happy and I don't speak up I won't get heard and nothing will change. I could blame you or my coworkers, but in the end I am the one that should say something. If I don't tell you about my ambitions, how will you know?

Yes I can be quiet and will not show my emotions quickly (or vent), yes I like it when its quiet and people leave me be, I hate gossip or small talk and I would rather go for a walk (alone or with others) than 'have lunch with the bunch' that doesn;'t mean I don't like the people, I means I like something else even more, I need my lunch break to refuel, the way I refuel. But I am still a person with a mouth and a brain I will use those when I need to and more important I should use those when I need to, an INFP (or any other type) may never hide behind his type, you are still and individual.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I think you are already a great supervisor for just coming here and asking for advice on how to work effectively with an INFP. I wish my ESFJ supervisor could do that. Sometimes she doesn't have the best leadership skills as she think she does. I think it's wise to take the personalities of your co-workers in consideration and don't assume that everybody will behave the same in the workplace.

Like most people have said as an INFP I like to work quietly in my own space. I don't like to be watched for extended periods of time. It's ok if you check up on my work to see how it's going but if you do it too much I am going to feel like you don't trust me enough to do the job. I like to be respected as a professional and like when my ideas are acknowledged. Everyone has different approaches to solve an issue and they should be taken in consideration.

If an INFP co-worker is too quiet on certain days don't assume that there is something wrong with that person. Don't get intimidated or uncomfortable with their silence. As someone already said we don't like to be the center of attention. We can be private people and don't like to share our intimacy or personal issues in the workplace so we may feel uncomfortable in situations when other co-workers want to find out too much about our lives. It's feels like our personal space is getting invaded. Specially when there is a huge age difference between the boss and co-worker. We just prefer to work peaceful and do our best without drama. Oh and another thing: Don't ask to be friends with your co-worker on Facebook.

Be flexible with your co-worker and don't be too pushy and controlling. INFP go crazy in environments where bosses put a lot of pressure on their employees with unrealistic expectations and deadlines. We may be passive but we are hardworking as well. The workload and deadlines should be fair for everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts