Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep deactivating and reactivating it, but ultimately will keep it because it's here to stay and there's no use denying it. You miss out on invites and big news if you don't check that newsfeed at least a couple of times per week. On top of all of that, if we want to make the world a better place, it is certainly a tool we can use somehow!

It just feels strange posting status updates, or pictures of my friends, or pictures of a vacation because a) I'm not a celebrity, and have no desire to be one, b) it's impossible to accurately convey your intentions or what you mean when you post and c) it feels self-absorbed and weird.

No judgment if you're really into FB. Most of the USA seems to get something out of it, and I don't begrudge those who do!

Do you, too, feel exposed posting on FB, or not? :blushed: How one loosen up and learn to enjoy it?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
A burning pile of horse piss and donkey crap of superficiality and instant gratification coupled with an insatiable need to try and be bigger and better than others.

Initially when Facebook first came about it was actually really good for keeping in touch with people. Now you have to weed through all the bogus hoaxes and lame stereotype jokes as well as other unseemly things to even have a semi decent conversation.

That being said it is still useful for communicating with people you care about, its just the other stuff just makes it a chore to even do that.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A burning pile of horse piss and donkey crap of superficiality and instant gratification coupled with an insatiable need to try and be bigger and better than others.
I lol'd.

Initially when Facebook first came about it was actually really good for keeping in touch with people. Now you have to weed through all the bogus hoaxes and lame stereotype jokes as well as other unseemly things to even have a semi decent conversation.

That being said it is still useful for communicating with people you care about, its just the other stuff just makes it a chore to even do that.
Yeah, I feel you. Newsfeed is so clogged with everything. I love babies and dogs and, well, I don't love seeing people I barely know in commonplace situations all that much... but man, it can feel like sensory overload! Do you think it's an Extroverted Feeling thing? Maybe that's it. Maybe WE need to become more tolerant of those, including some of our loved ones, who prefer to express themselves using that mode of communication. Maybe they don't see it as incosequential. Maybe they get actual joy and a sense of closeness from "likes." Should we try to change our mentality towards it to adapt and be a part of people's lives still?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yeah, I feel you. Newsfeed is so clogged with everything. I love babies and dogs and, well, I don't love seeing people I barely know in commonplace situations all that much... but man, it can feel like sensory overload! Do you think it's an Extroverted Feeling thing? Maybe that's it. Maybe WE need to become more tolerant of those, including some of our loved ones, who prefer to express themselves using that mode of communication. Maybe they don't see it as inconsequential. Maybe they get actual joy and a sense of closeness from "likes." Should we try to change our mentality towards it to adapt and be a part of people's lives still?
The thing is there have been quite a few studies in the recent past about the relative unhealthiness that is social media and how it doesn't really do much to promote actual closeness to other people.

For example there are a bunch of people who look to the "likes" of others to make them feel good about themselves.
Now in terms of our loved ones of course they may not be guilty of doing these things, but it does beg to question how social dynamics will work in a few years time.

Will we be so engrossed in sharing something positive in our life with those we care about that it has a detriment to our health?

Or will we be able to look past all that and just use it as a tool to close the distance on those we are physically far apart from?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Facebook is like any other tool. If you don't have a use for the tool, don't know how to make the tool useful then it's a time waster that just takes up space and energy in your life.

The only people I have on Facebook are actual friends, people I have dinner with, hang out with, see out dancing and have conversations with on a regular basis. I like reading their posts to see what's happening with their lives. Some of it is interesting. Some of it is mundane.

Some people have deep online relationships that are more substantial than their real world ones. I'm just not one of those people and prefer friendships where I can see people in person. How I use Facebook reflects that attitude.

As for what I post, I tend to think of Facebook as a narrative. It's just another way to tell a story and I can't tell story in soundbites. So I write really long posts, 2000+ word really personal stories about something important or interesting that's happened to me. I post once or twice a month. The only other thing I post is photos of events and parties I'm invited to. I take good photos of people and they usually end up as profile pictures.

The thing I've noticed after doing these long posts for over a year, is that now when I do see people I haven't seen for a while, we tend to skip over pleasantries quickly and we quickly start talk to me about important stuff in their life.

Also the Facebook INFP groups tend to be much older and more mainstream so the post and replies reflect that.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Facebook is...My dumping ground xD
I'm on it like all the time, except it's just a useless, open tab that's only used when:

1) I'm chatting with someone. Really, I only chat with 2 people or so on a daily basis, but still! It's so much easier compared to messaging because while I suck at that and have to correct stuff so many times, I don't have to look at the keyboard and type so it comes really easily :D Plus it's easier to share links and discussions move more efficiently.

2) Dumping! That's usually where my rants went during all my periods of teenage angst. They're a lot less frequent now, but it still happens occasionally. I know that technically you're not supposed to rant on facebook, but surprisingly I'm careful enough not to flame others, I just generally refer to specific people as "you", and nobody knows what on earth I'm talking about xD For me it's actually a helpful outlet. I tend to dump things I want to remember in there too, so I'll never deactivate my fb xD I have photos from the past, and really nice memorable experiences from recent years that I want to remember. Plus youtube videos. And even my old work, because whenever I dig up my old work I know I'm gonna lose it again (maybe even permanently!) but I like looking through my old stuff xD

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I hate FB and I'm also grateful for FB, let me explain why:

Fb is the reason I broke up with my entire group of friends, it helped me see how people truly felt about me. In person we were very nice to each other, but on fb all the drama would come out. I would post a status such as "Ate vegie burgers today yuuuum" (I'm a vegan btw) and I would have a flock of friends (and I'm talking close friends here, not strangers that you befriend and ignore) come attack me "Nobody cares about your fucking animals" and shit like that. I would post "Hi guys! Just came from my protest and I'm going to chill now in the bath" and they'd all come like alligators to flesh "I hope it rained on your parade of wimps". These were people who in person NEVER talked like that, in person they were charming and whenever I'd say "I need to go now guys cause I have this protest to attend, see ya later" They would all smile widely, nod and wish me luck. However, on facebook they were harpies, which made me realise that in person their kind behavior was completely false but never had the guts to speak what they were thinking, they hid behind a computer screen to speak their minds.
Another thing was that whenever I needed to go into retreat mode and disappear for an entire week, after my retreat I would go on facebook again and be overwhelmed by 2000 PMs from my friends saying "You're such a selfish person, I need to talk to you cause my boyfriend broke up with me, and you're nowhere to be found. The world doesn't revolve around you, u know" and "Where are you? WHERE AAAARRREEE YOU??? Why aren't you online!!!" and "Are you dead yet?" this last message coming from my bff at the time, followed by "Well, when you decide that I am worthy of your time, let me know, you are not the center of the universe and I need to talk to you about my problems at work, but hey no pressure /sarcasm".

I ended up breaking up with ALL of them, that was over 2 years ago, and I still have no friends (being an INFP, it's very hard to be social), and I deleted my account because I realised it was just a platform for useless drama. In person people keep their real opinion and feelings to themselves, while on fb they totally lash out shamelessly. This makes them false in my eyes.

In the last year I reactivated my account but I use it exclusively to follow businesses & musicians, keep up with their updates, new products, etc.

Reactions: cosmia

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
I don't often post things, probably like once a year or less. But I frequently go on facebook to read other peoples' statuses. How do they come up with statuses to post? I don't know. I can't do that. I would post something like super mega huge, that's it. Maybe my life is boring? Simple maybe but I wouldn't say boring. I'm always learning, which is fascinating but my friends on facebook don't generally want to see a post about some philosophical idea or whatnot. Oh and I play Candy Crush on it. I used to be into facebook games when they were fresh.

Reactions: shedreamt

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I don't often post things, probably like once a year or less. But I frequently go on facebook to read other peoples' statuses. How do they come up with statuses to post? I don't know. I can't do that. I would post something like super mega huge, that's it. Maybe my life is boring? Simple maybe but I wouldn't say boring. I'm always learning, which is fascinating but my friends on facebook don't generally want to see a post about some philosophical idea or whatnot. Oh and I play Candy Crush on it. I used to be into facebook games when they were fresh.
The kinds of statuses I posted were kinda "deep" or at least "too heavy" for the friendslist to handle. Mostly because fb was a tab I opened while I studied or researched something online. This reading would make me think (for ex: if I was reading an article on Thoreau, I would start having my own conversation in my head with the author of the article) and since I had no real outlet, I would post my philosophical ponderings. 1/3 of the people would actually engage with me and we would have AMAAAAAZING back-and-forth interaction, but 2/3s would either completely ignore me or comment something like "shut up". Whatever... I did spend a lot of times playing the biotronic and pet society than actually interacting with people

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
I never had a relationship with facebook. I never saw why I should.

I can see why it's useful for keeping in touch, planning stuff, getting invites to stuff and so on. But really my face-to-face system for doing that, or over the phone, is working adequately enough for now.
In return for that ability it becomes a substitute for meaningful interaction, the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory is in maximum effect, a place I am open to uninformed scrutiny from a load of people I've never met and may never want to, a place where I will be inevitably extremely self-conscious and desperate for the approval of others, and on top of that a chore to keep current with.

If some random guy wants to see photos of me from some random event (not that I have any) he can meet meet me in real life as a human being first, not a ridiculously narrow standard image I have to project.
Facebook stalking is just so :/ on so many levels.
And I have no good pictures to share anyway, so maybe I'm just bitter.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I thought it was totally horrible and degrading for humanity... Just there to make people more and more superficial and obsessed with self image... then I hated how they sell information to governments...

I decided to keep facebook for two reasons: First, the reason I made it for: to be in contact with people. It's a great way to message them or chat with them. Second, pages. There're a lot of cool pages that post interesting things, pictures, news, quotes... So yeah, I find that really cool. Specially the political protest pages and stuff, which show a lot of things that the normal mass media won't.

I've never uploaded ONE single photo of my self and I never published anything about my life. I guess people are free to do that if they want but the way the world and people is becoming is sad really. I definitely think people should use facebook much less; nowadays it's becoming - and will increasingly become - one of the chores of the life of contemporary men... one of the chores!! Just like there's family, friends... I don't know, cars, television... there is facebook. And it's becoming more and more important. Now with cellphones with which you're always connected to everything even more and more so. I fear a future in which virtual reality will become more important than real life...

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
The kinds of statuses I posted were kinda "deep" or at least "too heavy" for the friendslist to handle. Mostly because fb was a tab I opened while I studied or researched something online. This reading would make me think (for ex: if I was reading an article on Thoreau, I would start having my own conversation in my head with the author of the article) and since I had no real outlet, I would post my philosophical ponderings. 1/3 of the people would actually engage with me and we would have AMAAAAAZING back-and-forth interaction, but 2/3s would either completely ignore me or comment something like "shut up". Whatever... I did spend a lot of times playing the biotronic and pet society than actually interacting with people
There just wasn't the right audience to appreciate my style. :/

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Facebook is the easiest way for me to keep up with local bands, so that's the main reason I use it. I also really like creeping on the profiles of people I don't know (for example, if one of my friends adds a new friend, I'll go check out that person's profile). I don't even know why, I just like browsing. When I had an Okcupid account, I looked at eeeverybody's profile because I just find them interesting.

I don't really post anything there, though.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Facebook is the easiest way for me to keep up with local bands, so that's the main reason I use it. I also really like creeping on the profiles of people I don't know (for example, if one of my friends adds a new friend, I'll go check out that person's profile). I don't even know why, I just like browsing. When I had an Okcupid account, I looked at eeeverybody's profile because I just find them interesting.

I don't really post anything there, though.
As an INFP, how did you find the experience on okcupid? Meaning, did you actually met people irl and stuff and connected?

Someone sort of pressured me to create an account, and I convinced myself I'd be fine having strangers talking to me, but the reality was I couldn't take it anymore and after 5 days deactivated it. I wonder if it's just me & quiet/introverted people have good experiences to tell.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
As an INFP, how did you find the experience on okcupid? Meaning, did you actually met people irl and stuff and connected?

Someone sort of pressured me to create an account, and I convinced myself I'd be fine having strangers talking to me, but the reality was I couldn't take it anymore and after 5 days deactivated it. I wonder if it's just me & quiet/introverted people have good experiences to tell.
Okcupid was super fun for me. I went on a lot of dates, but rejecting people was pretty hard, because after one date, I could usually know if it was going to work or not -- and 9/10 it wasn't going to work. But I loved getting out a couple times a week, meeting new people, having conversations. I met and dated somebody I consider a good friend now, and I also met my current boyfriend on there. I don't know... I'm introverted, but I really love people, so it was a fun experience.

I will say the first time I got an account I deactivated quickly because it was kind of weird at first. My second time around, I felt better talking to people but meeting was terrifying and it took me a month for my first meetup. Though after that, it become not a big deal. You just have to force yourself to do it, if it's something you want, because after the initial weirdness, it's just two people meeting to have a conversation. I think I'm a lot better at talking to strangers now, too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I loathe Facebook. Part of it is I feel obligated to read/keep up with all the updates my friends/fam put up, and when I don't (and I never do) I feel guilt about it. And I get weird people sending me friend requests, which I don't do anything about because I don't know them and don't want to reject them (feels mean). I rarely post anything on my own FB page. My last status update was like 3 months ago. I only keep it active because I have one friend with a really sick baby (needs organ transplant) and the family puts all the baby updates on their FB page; if not for that I would deactivate it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
People on Facebook annoy me so it's kept deactivated for the most part. The only time I check in is during big holidays like Christmas and New Years to see what's going on with everyone and wish them all the best. Our reactions to life events have become completely monotone thanks to the like button, it's sad.

·
Registered
655 Posts
i have a love-hate thing with FB. i keep wanting to deactivate, but then i don't. i have self-censored much more and have shared less photos online. it's made me feel the need to be more private, whereas livejournal in the pre-facebook days, had the opposite effect.

what i've found though, is there is something about facebook that makes me dislike people more than usual. it brings out some side of them that is really annoying. i can't put my finger on it, but it's true for so many people on my friends list (though not all.) it's like, i like them in person just fine, but the stuff they post annoys me. especially the 1 or 2 people who become nonstop political ranters and re-posters during an election year. they are the worst.

Reactions: shedreamt
1 - 20 of 23 Posts