Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Private poll so dont worry lol :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To whomever voted 'Other' - feel free to share your faith here. I'd like to know what I missed off the list.

Reactions: Quork

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are an agnostic atheist, should you then pick 'agnostic' or 'atheist'?

EDIT: Oh, never mind, I saw there is an 'other' category...

If you are an "agnostic atheist" you are an agnostic, lol :)

Reactions: L P and Stogiepipe

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Protestant would be the correct term for me, but labels make religion even more complicated than necessary.
Couldn't agree more! :)

There is a 20-limit on the polling. Plus If it were even possible to create a list which didn't cause offence to some or give feelings of exclusion to others, what a world it would be, eh? :)

Reactions: Fear Itself

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, that is not the whole truth. While it is true that you are an agnostic if you are an agnostic atheist, it is also true that you are an atheist if you are an agnostic atheist.
OK now I'm intrigued. :)

Before i presume too much, would you mind offering a brief description of an 'agnostic atheist'?

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,717 Posts
Zoroastrian? Isn't that what Freddie Mercury was?

By the way, you should have made it multiple options. I personally identify myself with two religions.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
OK now I'm intrigued. :)

Before i presume too much, would you mind offering a brief description of an 'agnostic atheist'?

An agnostic atheist is someone who accepts that there are no reasons for claiming to know something about God's existence (which is an epistemological position), while also holding that he does not believe in God's existence (which is a position with regard to one's beliefs). They are different from 'pure agnostics', if that is the best word to describe non-(a)theistic agnostics, because pure agnostics say that they do not believe either way exactly because they cannot know whether God exists or not (since they do not want to believe something which they do not know). The agnostic atheist, on the other hand, holds that it may be reasonable not to believe in something even though you cannot be sure about it. They also differ from certain fellow atheists in that they do not claim to know that God does not exist. Agnosticism and atheism are not exclusive with regard to each other, because they are positions with regard to different problems or questions.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wiccan ^_^
Thanks i did actually consider putting this one on the list, but I figured i'd get more stick putting it on that leaving it off lol so i opted against it sry :)

Zoroastrian? Isn't that what Freddie Mercury was?

By the way, you should have made it multiple options. I personally identify myself with two religions.
Zoroastrianism is Persian i believe. Don't know about Freddie lol :)

I can't agree i should have made it multiple options, but i appreciate your candour nonetheless! :)

An agnostic atheist is someone who accepts that there are no reasons for claiming to know something about God's existence (which is an epistemological position), while also holding that he does not believe in God's existence (which is a position with regard to one's beliefs). They are different from 'pure agnostics', if that is the best word to describe non-(a)theistic agnostics, because pure agnostics say that they do not believe either way exactly because they cannot know whether God exists or not (since they do not want to believe something which they do not know). The agnostic atheist, on the other hand, holds that it may be reasonable not to believe in something even though you cannot be sure about it. They also differ from certain fellow atheists in that they do not claim to know that God does not exist. Agnosticism and atheism are not exclusive with regard to each other, because they are positions with regard to different problems or questions.
Well if the word atheist has been reinvented I'm not too sure I'd like the guy who made it happen lol.

Firstly, not all atheists claim to know there is no God. Some are more diplomatic with such a word as 'know'.

Also, I won't argue the point with you but in my eyes I'm afraid the position you've just described is an agnostic one.

a) agnostic because there is no way to know either way
b) agnostic because there is strong reason to suggest no God

You basically describe B, although in fairness the position of B does seem precariously balanced between agnosticism & atheism. I don't care much for the overlap is all, nor do I see it as an 'agnostic atheist'.

But as I said, I won't argue that. If that is how you best characterise your beliefs that is, of course, fine. :)

Reactions: Bluity

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Firstly, not all atheists claim to know there is no God. Some are more diplomatic with such a word as 'know'.
And I never claimed otherwise.

Also, I won't argue the point with you but in my eyes I'm afraid the position you've just described is an agnostic one.
I would never deny that it is an agnostic position, but that does not exclude it from being an atheistic position.

a) agnostic because there is no way to know either way
b) agnostic because there is strong reason to suggest no God

You basically describe B, although in fairness the position of B does seem precariously balanced between agnosticism & atheism. I don't care much for the overlap is all, nor do I see it as an 'agnostic atheist'.
No, agnostic atheists can also be agnostics because they think there is no way to know either way; in fact, most agnostic atheists are probably agnostic because of that reason. I have not described the latter position (which you dubbed 'B'), nor did I "basically describe" it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Also, FYI:

Agnostic atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please do not dislike Bertrand Russell, he was a fine logician. :/

Also, at least one host of The Atheist Experience has said to be an agnostic atheist, namely Matt Dillahunty. He explains it using the knowledge as justified true belief definition of knowledge and, thereby, is able to explain how knowledge is but a subset of beliefs. His explanation is not necessarily accepted by every agnostic atheist, though. I could provide you with a link to a recent episode if you want to hear his actual explanation.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well then I'm afraid you'll need to be more specific when you refer to "certain fellow atheists".

I have not described the latter position (which you dubbed 'B'), nor did I "basically describe" it.
Fair enough. Indeed I did; and indeed you didn't. I didn't read about it too deeply so Russell is safe for now lol, but check this out just as an example of how little I care for self-indulgent definitions (whether they be by revered men or not)... Asexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's like the music genres and subgenres and subsubgenres. Everyone says they hate labels but they don't rest until they are happy with one which fits them perfectly, lol :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Well then I'm afraid you'll need to be more specific when you refer to "certain fellow atheists"
I meant those atheists who claim to know that God does not exist or, in other words, who subscribe to 'strong atheism'; who say that it is true that God does not exist. These strong atheists are indeed 'certain fellow atheists' to agnostic atheists, but 'certain fellow atheists' does not mean the same as 'all fellow atheists'.

Fair enough. Indeed I did; and indeed you didn't. I didn't read about it too deeply so Russell is safe for now lol, but check this out just as an example of how little I care for self-indulgent definitions (whether they be by revered men or not)... Asexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's like the music genres and subgenres and subsubgenres. Everyone says they hate labels but they don't rest until they are happy with one which fits them perfectly, lol :)
Well, that is a personal preference for simplicity that I agree with in some instances, but I cannot say that I agree with it in the instance of agnostic atheism.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of course those who claim to know there is no God claim to know there is no God.
Just as those who eat fruit eat fruit.

An agnostic atheist is someone who....
They also differ from certain fellow atheists in that they do not claim to know that God does not exist.
Well then I'm afraid you'll need to be more specific when you refer to "certain fellow atheists".
I meant those atheists who claim to know that God does not exist or, in other words, who subscribe to 'strong atheism'; who say that it is true that God does not exist. These strong atheists are indeed 'certain fellow atheists' to agnostic atheists, but 'certain fellow atheists' does mean the same as 'all fellow atheists'.

Reactions: Bluity

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
[Agnostic atheists] also differ from certain fellow atheists in that they do not claim to know that God does not exist.
Firstly, not all atheists claim to know there is no God.
[...] I never claimed otherwise.
[...] 'certain fellow atheists' does not mean the same as 'all fellow atheists'.
It was the "all atheists" as opposed to "certain fellow atheists" that I was elaborating on. Also, besides this obvious point, what did you not understand about the words "certain fellow atheists" if I define these as strong atheists? What do you want me to explain about it?

EDIT: Oh, I see where the confusion may have arisen: it should be 'certain fellow atheists' does NOT mean the same as 'all fellow atheists'. I'll change it immediately.

EDIT 2: Quite simply, the point is that we agree that not all atheists claim to know that God does not exist. Some bad wordings have led to confusion, I see. It should be 'all atheists' instead of 'all fellow atheists (excluding the atheist in question)' too, if we're very strict.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts