Votes: 101 17.8%

• Total voters
261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
INTP 5w4
934 Posts
View attachment 808997

Satanism is a lot more fun if you get the joke.
What's the joke?
I see a version of the Baphomet symbol made into a statue which had to be publicly acceptable because it was intended to be displayed in a public place.
So the breasts of the original symbol were removed and replaced by a male and female on either side to represent the hermaphroditic nature of the symbol in a way in which the statue couldn't be removed based on issues of public decency, etc.

I really don't understand, what's the inherent joke of Satanism?

·
Registered
INTP 5w4
934 Posts
It's humanism. The stunt is to make fun of religious ceremony and cults. It bashes those horrible things God does in The Bible. It then turns Satan into the hero of the book.
That would make the Bible the main book in the Satanist canon, but it isn't. One of the main ideas in Satanism is humanism, but that by no means defines the whole ideology.

And I don't think the stunt is to make fun of religious ceremony. Satanism is its own non-theistic religion with its own ceremonies.
Lucien Greaves explains why The Satanic Temple does ceremonial things in the video I posted.
There are aesthetic aspects to every religion and the aesthetic aspects are what attracts people to it a lot of the time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Agnostic Atheist

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'm agnostic if anyone wants to know as its always healthy to be slightly open minded and have that inch of doubt in case the impossible happens.

But as for organised religion? Hell no.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I voted Buddhist, but my beliefs are a mix of secular Buddhism, agnosticism, pantheism, and polytheism. I could explain how those all mix in my beliefs if you really need me to. But please, do I really have to?

·
Registered
INTJ 583 sx/sp
456 Posts
I see remnants of the gods in the behavior and actions of those closest to me. For instance, I see Frøya in my sister, and I see Tor in her husband. I will go where ever the gods want me to go, but I consider my connection to Vanan the strongest, even if that might not be the case. I treat ravens, crows, and magpies with a sense of humility as I see them as akin to Valkyrje, and I consider Nornan as being the gods of the gods. I don't call it Æsetru, Vanetru or Nornatru, since it's not one specific god or set of gods to which I adhere, and I don't call it religion since it's not organized, and I will reject any claim that your gods and mine are the same just because they share the same name. My view of them, and your view of them is relative.

I have copies of the Edda, and I've studied them in Norwegian, New Norwegian, and Old Norwegian. Other than that, I don't mess up my fashion sense over it, nor do I cover my house in trinkets. Instead I have tattoos with symbols and text (using regional younger futhark) that only I know the exact meaning of. For instance, one text appeals to keeping me from a life of chaos and torment, and another text appeals to where or to whom I wish to go when I die.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I see remnants of the gods in the behavior and actions of those closest to me. For instance, I see Frøya in my sister, and I see Tor in her husband. I will go where ever the gods want me to go, but I consider my connection to Vanan the strongest, even if that might not be the case. I treat ravens, crows, and magpies with a sense of humility as I see them as akin to Valkyrje, and I consider Nornan as being the gods of the gods. I don't call it Æsetru, Vanetru or Nornatru, since it's not one specific god or set of gods to which I adhere, and I don't call it religion since it's not organized, and I will reject any claim that your gods and mine are the same just because they share the same name. My view of them, and your view of them is relative.

I have copies of the Edda, and I've studied them in Norwegian, New Norwegian, and Old Norwegian. Other than that, I don't mess up my fashion sense over it, nor do I cover my house in trinkets. Instead I have tattoos with symbols and text (using regional younger futhark) that only I know the exact meaning of. For instance, one text appeals to keeping me from a life of chaos and torment, and another text appeals to where or to whom I wish to go when I die.
Ravens, crows, and magpies are actually my favorite birds, and they're said to be the most intelligent birds.

My dad's family had 2 pet crows when he was a kid. They were orphan birds. They let them fly anywhere they wanted, but they felt loyalty to their human family and would always return.

Reactions: Skimt

·
Registered
558 Posts
Kind of a weird idiosyncrasy I have that only means something to me and isn't really "valid" in reality is that I divide my year into sevenths in honor of different entities, and I always have my own ways of celebrating the end of one seventh and the beginning of another. I just enjoy having my own "weirdness" or whatever. The sevenths are as follows:

January 1 to February 22- Syd Barrett
February 23 to April 15- the Earth- Gaia
April 16 to June 6- Kwan Yin
June 7 to July 28- the Sun- Sol
July 29 to September 18- Apollo
September 19 to November 9- Tyr
November 10 to December 31- the Moon- Selene

Btw, both my birthday and Syd Barrett's birthday are on January 6.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm wondering if I should celebrate my "holiday" a day early on the 5th this year. I'm kinda flexible about that stuff.

261 - 276 of 276 Posts