Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've read, INFJ's are very keen with symbolic languages such as similes, metaphors and possibly personifications. Now, the idea of the thread is to answer this question...

What symbol/s would you give yourself, and why?:proud:

As for me, I would give myself the yin and yang symbol, green leaves and a sandglass.
The yin and yang symbol represents my dualistic personality. Green leaves represents a calm and cool facade but deep within comes a profound feeling for life. The sandglass represents time and my unhealthy wish to control time even though I can't control it for the most part:mellow:

That's all. I would like to hear yours! :laughing:

Or if you are uninterested in explaining yourself with words, you can put pictures.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Candle-- A friend in HS started calling me his "Candle" after he heard me sing "I'll Be Your Candle on the Water" for a school variety show. It is something that I strive to be-- a "light unto the world."

Owl-- no surprise why I like this symbol, as I strive to gain in wisdom and insight.

Frog-- I started collecting frogs when I was sixteen and started dating (or would have dated, had any guys ever asked me out), inspired by the story of the "Frog Prince."

River-- Flowing continuously, soothing music to those who listen, gladly carrying anyone who needs a ride.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My Symbols:

- The Sunflower
(It’s said that the natives of the Inca Empire worshipped a giant sunflower, and that Incan priestesses wore large sunflower disks made of gold on their garments. Images of sunflowers were found in the temples of the Andes mountains, and Native American Indians placed bowls of sunflower seeds on the graves of their dead. The Impressionist period of art is famous for its fascination with the sunflower, and this striking flower remains today a commonly photographed and painted icon of uncommon beauty.
The 3rd wedding anniversary flower and the state flower of Kansas, sunflowers turn to follow the sun. Their open faces symbolize the sun itself, conveying warmth and happiness, adoration and longevity.)

- Lions
(The Lion is an ancient symbol, one that has been incorporated into the religion and mythology of numerous cultures and civilizations since recorded time around the Middle East, India, throughout Africa and bordering the Mediterranean. Lions once roamed the southern reaches of Europe. The influence of the power of the Lion's symbolism can be seen in it's representation in both Chinese and Japanese art and mythology, both cultures beyond it's range.)

- Toads and Frogs
(Transfer of Consciousness
Like the butterfly, the frog is a symbol of reincarnation. Its form goes through a radical transformation: from frothy spawn containing myriad eggs, to the tadpole breathing by means of gills and sprouting legs, which finally in losing its tail becomes the adult air-breathing hopper.

The Sanskrit word, mandukya means frog. The Hindu scripture, Mandukya Upanishad, says that the three letters that comprise the chief mantra AUM (usually written OM in languages using the Latin alphabet) each signify a state of consciousness: A = waking, U = dreaming, and M = dreamless sleep.

Herbert V. Guenther used the metaphor of the frog in Yuganaddha: The Tantric View of Life, (Varanasi: Chowkhamba Sanskrit Series, 1952/1976, pp. 80-81) in explaining his view of the link between a child's imagination and that of an adult:

On the psychic plane, childhood need not necessarily be the immaturity of man, it may be much more the preparatory stage of the adult mind, just as the tadpole is the preparatory stage of the frog rather than an immature frog.
)

- Water
(Water unceasingly changes shapes and transforms itself. It is thus a model out of which everything can be born. Water, consequently, becomes a symbol of fertility that can be found in all the myths and all the religions. Beings and things are born of water. Water also possesses medicinal virtues. Some waters are recognized miraculous powers capable of healing the bodies.

It is also a source of purification. Purification for the individual beings but also for the whole of mankind. The Flood is a founding episode in numerous civilisations. Among Australia’s Aborigenes, a giant frog is said to have swallowed the Earth’s water to release it only when the other animals, dying with thirst, made it burst out laughing. The Flood in a re-creation of the world. One emerges from water in order to be reborn.
)

My Colors:

- Deep Purple

- Forest Green

- Dark Blue

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
In case it wasn't obvious

I choose zombies for several reasons

1. I am thin, bony, and I have eyes that look massively sleep depraved. During my college years I was referred to as a zombie.

2. I see the rest of mankind almost as zombies in themselves-- consuming and consuming without any idea what they're actually doing... But then again, I'm also a huge cynic.

3. Psychology is my passion. The human brain is a strange and wonderful thing. I study psychology with a lust not unlike a binge at the local chinese food buffet. So, zombies eat brains. I study brains like I want to eat them. Do zombies eat brains to become smarter?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In case it wasn't obvious

I choose zombies for several reasons

1. I am thin, bony, and I have eyes that look massively sleep depraved. During my college years I was referred to as a zombie.

2. I see the rest of mankind almost as zombies in themselves-- consuming and consuming without any idea what they're actually doing... But then again, I'm also a huge cynic.

3. Psychology is my passion. The human brain is a strange and wonderful thing. I study psychology with a lust not unlike a binge at the local chinese food buffet. So, zombies eat brains. I study brains like I want to eat them. Do zombies eat brains to become smarter?
Dude.... :crazy:

Reactions: reisiger

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Something involving birds. I dunno I just like birds very much. Several of my friends in childhood gave me bird-related nicknames and my ex used to call me a nickname that means "small bird" in my native language. So a symbol with a bird on it would seem befitting.

...So, zombies eat brains. I study brains like I want to eat them. Do zombies eat brains to become smarter?
no, they eat them because it is a prerequisite to being a zombie - you cannot be one unless all you eat is brains and occasionally other bodily parts when brains are scarce
so they just eat them to reassert their zombie status to the outside world (i guess it is kind of like being in a frat and doing all those silly initiation rituals)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is that the Chinese character for peace? :happy:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Animal: The Sloth

Sloths can turn their heads almost 270 degrees giving them an uncanny ability to see all that is above, below and around them. They are often seen hanging upside down in the forests of South America. Because of these abilities the sloth is linked to the realm of spirit and psychic visions. Those with this totem often feel out of place on the earth and have a difficult time fitting into normal socieity. Like the sloth they have an uncanny ability to see clearly and hold strong visionary gifts. These gifts, however, should be nutured in a grounded way early in life in order to fully develop and be utilized within a given life time. The tendency to escape from earth reality is common for those that hold this medicine. Strong physical exercise can help bring this tendency into balance.

Sloths are solitary animals that only come together for mating. Those with this totem are loners and do not enjoy being in crowds. If their independence is threatened they become rebelious. Relationships are challenged when personal space is taken away. Sloth medicine people usually have a low rate of metabolism and dont have the ability to ward off illness easily, therefore, the strengthening and care of the immune system can benefit the overall health.
Symbol: The Yin Yang. I am very in touch with my Yin.

Number: 12

Color: Gray

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with the sloth description very much O_O
it shows an uncanny accuracy as to who I am. It can also be applied to all INFJ's in a way. Go cute sloths:happy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love symbols and have designed a few that I have/will be getting as tattoos. These are the two I have:
wrists.jpg
'Know Thyself' with an infinity sign in the center; and 'Live Free and Die'. And here are two mandalas I drew for myself and will be getting on my ribs as soon as humanly possible (hopefully within the next year).
Left Ribs.jpg
This is an Inca strip pattern (I have a strong affinity for South/Mesoamerican cultures, especially the Inca) around my Enneagram type symbol (the M, almost Scorpio-looking thing; I'm a type 4w5 and also a Scorpio) which is all on top of the Gnostic cross of harmony (or Sun Wheel etc its a very ubiquitous symbol for harmony and unity). Its going to be black and...skin I guess, the colors were just a factor of my mediocre drawing and drafting skills :) it's going on my left ribs.
Right Ribs.jpg
This guy is an adaptation of a random mandala I found online that resonated with me but I adapted it to make a multi-layered symbol for myself. It is pretty much my natal chart (the diamonds are the planets, the clusters of stars my relevant constellations) surrounding a naturalistic setting surrounding more astrological symbolism (phoenix on the east symbolizing my love of eastern wisdom, scorpion to the south for my love of south/mesoamerican culture, eagle on the west for my love of western philosophy, and me meditating on the north) and the mountains were serendipitously already configured like my apexes and vertices- which blew my mind. The mountains around the lake represent Summit County, CO where I lived the past few years before moving back east (the county is literally a ring of mountains surrounding a reservoir); and there are yin yang fish swimming in the center (which will be more geometric looking and symbolize the Enneagram). The whole thing is encompassed by an Ouroboros. It isn't in its final form, all the images are crappy files I found on the interwebs but it is pretty much complete as far as content :) going on my right ribs
Right Bicep- super imposed on skull.jpg
I'm also planning on getting the Hunab Ku (above) overlain on top of the profile of a skull (speaking to apriori and aposteriori knowledge as well as, less subtly, mortality and the yin yang-like Mayan symbol itself) and it will be going on the inside of my right bicep

buddhabrot_inversion.jpg
And finally, the Buddhabrot (a specific iteration of the Mandelbrot Set, literally an infinitely complex graph) will be going on the inside of my left bicep.

EDIT: Oops I'm an INFP, but it seems we're rather similar :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
oh I thought I was the only weirdo who loves sloths:happy: I like squares, when I doodle I draw squares,3D squares mostly so cubes, oh and celtic symbols, hieroglyphics, oh and the star within a circle cant remember what that's called,theres a lot I could go on and on..

1 - 20 of 65 Posts