• I'm any other type and just wanted to click somewhere

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow INTJs. What about your tastes in music, films, books etc. Are they eclectic or are you a genre person? E.g. do you like that one song by XYZ or do you like metal?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Eclectic for music, genre for books and movies.

Reactions: FlaviaGemina

·
Registered
600 Posts
I chose genre, but that doesn't mean I limit myself to genres or automatically include all works that fall into a genre I like. It just so happens that I like lots of comedies, dystopian novels, and metal.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Here's another INTP lurker to grace your thread, and I must say it is infinitely better now that I'm here. :tongue:

I'm more of a genre person myself, though that doesn't really leave much out for me, as I like many, many genres.
The only music I don't really like is (new)country, hip pop, and pop, so I listen to pretty much everything, depending on my mood.
I like almost all types of books as well, except for romance. Again, the type of book I read depends on my mood at the moment, but a good fantasy will always peak my interest.
Again, not too picky with movies either. The only ones I don't like are romantic-comedies, and shock/horror(though I do like psychological horror). What I like to watch, again, depends on my mood.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Eclectic for me, most of my music tastes happen to fall within certain genres, but my music interest is not genre based, if that makes sense to you. Usually when I find a band or artist that I like, I end up liking most or all of their music, which gives the appearance of a genre-based interest.

EDIT: Same thing applies to books. With movies I tend to prefer certain genres, but I am selective within those genres and will still watch films outside of my normal interest from time to time.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My preferences rarely venture beyond the scope of a given genre. I like black metal, depraved films, philosophical fiction and non-fiction, and cats.

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
you don't have a poll button for 'intj, but unwilling to vote.'

i'm not even sure. probably most of my music is blues or blues-related in some way; some ethnic folk streams and lots of singer-songwriter stuff. but i found each one of them and got hooked on them individually, not 'because' they do a type of music i like. i do tend to stick within genres, but once i'm inside one it's not like i'll take anyone in that set. it's still only the ones that i like and they have to be vetted and adopted individually.

movies - not even relevant. i'm almost totally indifferent to them.

books - if the choice is genre/eclectic, then i'm eclectic. i'll read anything once - if there's nothing else. whereas i definitely won't listen to or watch 'anything' even that many times and even when the alternative is 'nothing at all'. but the stuff i read and reread and collect and keep is pickier. i know how snotty this sounds, but i don't know another way of putting it. i read literature. and only 20th-century literature, at that. it's not exactly a genre, but it is a 'type' of reading material.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
movies - not even relevant. i'm almost totally indifferent to them.

Same here. I think I just don't find most movies that memorable at all and I often know in advance that I won't find a movie memorable without even watching it (prejudiced, I know). Sometimes I think I should watch more movies because it's what people do, but when I look at lists of famous films, none of them seems appealing to me. I think it's because my interests are all connected in strange ways, e.g. Captain Picard --> Shakespeare + other films starring Patrick Stewart + interest in films with other British actors + X-men --> more tolerance for other super heroes .....

Having said that, I have a terrible memory for books, too, but I don't anticipate that I won't like them. I do like them while I read them and plan to reread them so I'll remember them.
What's wrong with me?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Eclectic. I like what I like, regardless of what people call it. But there's a catch. I don't like anything decidedly "hipsterish" and so certain genres are excluded from my likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Music:

Classic rock acts (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, The Doors, and the like);
A post-rock band called Explosions in the Sky;
Early Coldplay work (2000-2002)

I like "raw" music, not overmasterized, pasteurized and smoothly producted stuff. I like to hear the slight flaws, the sound of a plectrum touching the strings, the amps humming, the bass drum pedal squeaking. All these things that makes the music human.

This is where I mostly get my Se highs.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Hett, great taste in music. My dad likes all of them. I don't really listen to them myself unless he 'makes' me, but your post is a good reminder that I should listen to this kind of music more.
I agree with your about "raw" music.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My musical taste is strewn almost everywhere but some examples are The Beatels, Gorillaz, Ella Fitsgerald, Red Hot Chilly Peppers, Cage The Elephant and the first and last two that Hett mentioned among others. However my literature taste is very picky and consists of things like Harry Potter, Narnian Chronicles, and the Inheritance series. And yes I am aware that it is actually called The Chronicles of Narnia but I have shortened it from habit

1 - 17 of 17 Posts