Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Grey ENFP / IEE
11,607 Posts
Sounds interesting. I use Tertiary Ni, and others hear often of concepts and ideas from me.
My ISTJ brother seems rather sensible if it is something that hurt him, although he is a provocator, he still prefers politeness towards himself.
My ESFJ mother likes to be creative with little things, decorating, changing the interior now and then.

It is not so strong like the Dom and Aux, but others could see it, yes.

·
Registered
Grey ENFP / IEE
11,607 Posts
Ok :)

Assumed that the theory is true, I think the impression grows stronger the older someone is, because Tertiary needs some time to show up.

So, here are the possible views from people who doesn't know them better, but it's just my opinion and perhaps others can help better them:

INTJ: Become more annoyed and pissed when others don't respect their opinions and facts, so they appear rather sensible now and then.

INTP: Develop habits which gives them stability in the life outside of their life. (Sheldon :p haha)

ENTJ: They get more hunger for experiences, perhaps luxury or other sensoric adventures. As bosses they will have the money for that ;)

ENTP: They learn to handle social situations so they can do whatever they want with their charme

INFJ: They get more critical and sceptical what is good for helping others and analyzing their problems.

INFP: They value traditions of parents of their upbringing and want to give those to their own children.

ENFJ: They want to see the world, to learn more and go out there to change something.

ENFP: They adapt to "their" people, becoming more similar to them, and find those then normal.

ISTJ: Still good in dishing out, but has problems in taking it. Becomes loud and angry or sad and disappointed when "attacked". Values become higher for them.

ISFJ: Becomes more critical and sceptical to outsiders who could plan to hurt them or their loved ones.

ESTJ: Good with facts and details, they have new ideas they want to implement, even against their colleagues ;) because they are right.

ESFJ: They become more creative and relaxed, revising their traditions and rituals.

ISTP: They get more inspirations and become better in evaluating situations and concepts.

ISFP: They get more inspirations to express their ideas in a new and intriguing way.

ESTP: They learn to cooperate better with others and become nicer.

ESFP: They adapt to their surroundings, getting more nerdy, sporty, etc

Take all of this with a grain of salt and a little bit humour.
Even if the theory is good, my description could be not quite right yet. This was written fast with smartphone from work ^^

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It's a cool theory but it is not always so. With introverts their dominant function is introverted so what we actually see is their secondary function (which is extroverted). So with introverts they are actually putting their second best foot forward. However, it can be true of extroverts.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
I have tried to say this myself a few times.

I think my Fe is the most manic hence the most exposed
Tert Fe is like a teeter totter in balance

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,320 Posts
It's an interesting theory but... I'm not sure it's true all the time. I can see it being more true about a person taking for granted their own top functions and noticing the third when it comes out, but I don't think other people would tune out or take for granted the first and second functions (unless maybe they have the same ones as you?).

At least I'm pretty sure people don't notice my Si as the most notable or defining aspect of my personality to them... They usually describe me as dreamy/spacey, eccentric/creative/individual, which sounds in line with Ne/Fi, not so much Si.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
This seems valuable in a lot of cases, but it's definitely not always true. There's a lot of people that have ignored their auxiliary function and are only just starting to develop it fully. There's people that are depressed or stressed and only show their inferior. In happy, healthy, developed people it does often seem the case though that their tertiary is shining through as the thing that they're working on the most. INFJ's always planning and reasoning out things, INTJ's being empathetic and working on their social skills, INTP's focused on how things were in the past, ESTP's socializing at parties... I see a lot of that happening.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Tertiary Fi is what I notice the most myself, but it is definitely not what other people notice. I have gotten enough comments that characterize me as "super-logical" that I can tell other people don't notice my tendencies towards Fi at all.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,469 Posts
No.

("Cognitive-functions,") themselves are not noticed - only leftover residue via it's operations.

No more than I 'notice' my eyes seeing, or my liver detoxifying, or my small intestine absorbance [via] the digestive-process.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Tertiary Fi is what I notice the most myself, but it is definitely not what other people notice. I have gotten enough comments that characterize me as "super-logical" that I can tell other people don't notice my tendencies towards Fi at all.
The word logical seems to mean a lot of different things. It's one of those compliments that always seems to work.

I've seen the same trend with INTJ's though. Superficially they don't seem to have any Fi at all, but if you get to know them it actually takes a huge place in their lives. As Fi is introverted though you sometimes have to 'read between the lines' a bit.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The word logical seems to mean a lot of different things. It's one of those compliments that always seems to work.

I've seen the same trend with INTJ's though. Superficially they don't seem to have any Fi at all, but if you get to know them it actually takes a huge place in their lives. As Fi is introverted though you sometimes have to 'read between the lines' a bit.
Yeah, the vagueness of the word logical is something I have thought about. I typically use it to characterize Ti (as in proceeding from the rules of formal logic), but I have noticed that other people will apply it equally to Ti and Te, as well as to Fi and Fe arguments that they happen to agree with. Sometimes I think that logical just means "sounds reasonable enough" in common parlance.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,561 Posts
Interestinggg.

That might explain why people who type others get confused. They see the seemingly obvious function first.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Using this line of reasoning, the inferior function should be the easiest one to detect - after all, it being the exact opposite of the base function would mean that engaging it would require the most deviation/change from the norm.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Then it would be Fe.

You know, people say, I'm friendly, and I'm not really sure with that..

It's just probably easy for me to be friends with new people.

Like it's just a front i guess but not really you, like i cannot be Fe all the time. XD

Then sometimes my friends are shocked i already make friends with someone else. XD

I just use Fe very well when I'm in my normal mode, without pms..

But whenever i have pms, i just become introvert or i just don't make an effort to talk.. I just listen and agree sort of passive thing.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,639 Posts
A better idea of using this would maybe to group pairs who share the same function in the same slot. For example I related more with the INTP example in Lord of Transylvania's list. That's the tertiary Si. You could possibly sub divide it further but tbh, pair types with the same positioning of percieving/judgement functions will tend to have much in common, otherwise you run the risk of being over-pretty for the sake of creating individual profiles unless you can properly pinpoint the differences, we are talking just about tertiary functions right? I just think it would work better with pairs.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,561 Posts
Ok :)

Assumed that the theory is true, I think the impression grows stronger the older someone is, because Tertiary needs some time to show up.

So, here are the possible views from people who doesn't know them better, but it's just my opinion and perhaps others can help better them:

INFP: They value traditions of parents of their upbringing and want to give those to their own children.

ISTJ: Still good in dishing out, but has problems in taking it. Becomes loud and angry or sad and disappointed when "attacked". Values become higher for them.
:proud:

INFP: I think more like they get caught up in the same negative events happening, and start to become really emotional (negatively) over it instead of facing it logically and impassively.

ISTJ: I think should seem to be similar to INTJ's tertiary Fi as well. Have issues with people not seeing what they're trying to convey, and can become reclusive and withdrawn. I'm not sure if they would lash out.

Interested to hear any INFP/ISTJ thoughts on their use of tertiary functions.

·
Registered
Grey ENFP / IEE
11,607 Posts

INFP: I think more like they get caught up in the same negative events happening, and start to become really emotional (negatively) over it instead of facing it logically and impassively.

ISTJ: I think should seem to be similar to INTJ's tertiary Fi as well. Have issues with people not seeing what they're trying to convey, and can become reclusive and withdrawn. I'm not sure if they would lash out.

Interested to hear any INFP/ISTJ thoughts on their use of tertiary functions.
As I said, I have written it very fast at work with my smartphone, just so that others can use it as base and correct it to something better :)
Thank you for writing more than "Erm, no" ^^

I simply wanted to push the topic at the beginning. So, go and make a new list! :cool:

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Ni is why people call me a "space case" or a "ditz."
:confused:
Te is why people call me "anal." (Thanks a lot, Freud.)
:dry:
Fi is why people call me "emo."
:unsure:
Se is why I'm a foodie.

Reactions: Bunniculla
1 - 20 of 22 Posts