Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering, whether the general opinion on MBTI is that it is a scientifically viable way of describing a personality, or that it is just a fun tool to find somewhat likeminded people.
From what i have read on this forum, i gather the impression that MBTI types are inherent attributes that will describe an individuals identity and behaviour to a great degree. But whenever i research on the background of the MBTI, i come across a lot of pages claiming that the MBTI is just polished hogwash.

So please write the arguments you may have, for why the MBTI is or isn't a viable way of describing overall personality.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've been wondering, whether the general opinion on MBTI is that it is a scientifically viable way of describing a personality, or that it is just a fun tool to find somewhat likeminded people.
From what i have read on this forum, i gather the impression that MBTI types are inherent attributes that will describe an individuals identity and behaviour to a great degree. But whenever i research on the background of the MBTI, i come across a lot of pages claiming that the MBTI is just polished hogwash.

So please write the arguments you may have, for why the MBTI is or isn't a viable way of describing overall personality.
nah , MBTI , is not useful
There is no such thing called as an INTP , there are people who can come to the variety which is closer to that particular group . That is because , as we all know Myerr briggs test , is one of the widely take tests , but here is the catch , this test , has not been accepted by the clinical psychology , that is because there is no relation ship between this test and psychology , each individual has his own thinking , and it can consist of every variety , """The 16 Personalities ARE not enough to TYPE a person """" , there are over a million variations in INTP ,and in each of the TYPE . That is because Human mind is continuously evolving , At some point in your life , u might be an INTP , at some other point you might be an INTJ or other , if we take the extreme case , that u are belonging , to this group , there is every possibility , THAT U ARE VERY DIFFERENT THAN AN ANOTHER ""INTP"" . We are dealing with probability , that being said , I was called an ENTP by some guy in the other forum , for discussing about god and atheism , but , INTP'S talk a lot on things , which interest them , so logic is very important finally , we have to view , the topic from every angle , and argue on both sides . Since u are very much interested in knowing , u are an INTP with a different variation from another INTP . I think i have answered your question .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ive taken the test a few times, most of the time i'm INTP, but sometimes i get INTJ. It could be complete hogwash, but i guess it does outline how people are likely to react to certain situations, but then again i don't need to take test to tell me that i'm socially awkward, shy, like to think a lot, analyze random crap etc.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ive taken the test a few times, most of the time i'm INTP, but sometimes i get INTJ. It could be complete hogwash, but i guess it does outline how people are likely to react to certain situations, but then again i don't need to take test to tell me that i'm socially awkward, shy, like to think a lot, analyze random crap etc.
So even ESFP's, ENFJ's, ESFJ's and ENFP's can be INTP's? AWESOME! :D

Anyhow, back on topic;
I think MBTI is a viable tool in figuring out how your inner mindset works. It's true, everyone is a different person and everyone thinks in a 'different' way, so as said earlier, there's tonnes upon tonnes of variables of just even a single type existing.
However, when you delve deeper into how the functions work and when during your lifetime you can expect that they'll start to develop based on what MBTI type you are could potentially make your life a whole lot easier in terms of learning to understand yourself better.

So, yeah, I think MBTI is a fun but also very handy tool (same with socionics, enneagrams and NLP) in learning how to chickitty-check yourself before you wreck yourself- and potentially help other willing individuals.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
even i got an INTJ , but still who cares about types , well aint that racist ?? jus joking , i dont care about types .

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The theory is sound at it's core.

There are just a few problems: the categorization process isn't accurate, because measuring the attributes assigned to the categories is impossible. And conclusions based on the already faulty results of the categorization process are generalizations at best and bullshit at worst.

·
Registered
436 Posts

The test is terrible and every piece of critique in that matter is spot on. However, the basic concept and ideas behind MBTI are good additions to Jung's Cognitive Functions.

I've done some research on my own and after observing people for a long time I see a lot of correlation between types and personality. One thing to remember is that the cognitive type does not equal a personality and there can be person who are drastically different to a type's stereotype.

Every personality is unique, but there can be a hell lot of similarities on personalities if you watch out. I've noticed this in particular with ISTJs. That's the problem with MBTI, people think in stereotypes and say that all people of the same type must the same.

What a type describes is the "cognitive framework" of a person. It does not describe a personality and people who make stereotypes out of types should be treated like criminals. The functions describe what you value, how you perceive the world and with what kind of information you work (Te/Fi or Fe/Ti).

If you know how to utilize it, it gives a lot of valueable information and a framework to understand a person better. You can also combine it with other aspects of psychology if you want to.

Only few people ever bothered to do their homework and see what is behind all this. If you know MBTI only on a superficial level, you might just as well type people based on their horoscope. You must understand the functions to really make use of it or it will do you more harm than good.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Idk, I found it helpful on some level. My ESFJ mother thought I was autistic and this was the only thing that told me I was probably normal...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Scientifically it's bullshit, personally and for self-discovery it's useful.

I like PerC more when people rely on typing less. More fun to just find groups of people I tend to enjoy spending time with and chill.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
Idk, I found it helpful on some level. My ESFJ mother thought I was autistic and this was the only thing that told me I was probably normal...
Have you been able to introduce your mother to it, so that maybe she can understand your perspective on things?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Are the descriptions scientifically viable? I think they can be. But they are starting points, and not the whole story.

Consciousness, and by default personality is a biological phenomenon. Personality is an attempted description of the condition the system of consciousness is in (which is a condition of the system of biology). Much like the liquidity of water - the liquidity of water is not a thing. And keep in mind that you can't apply the same distinction between the way things seem and the way things are; you cannot doubt the existence of your own consciousness, so once the terms of I, E, S, N, T, F are understood as clearly observable states in one's own consciousness, then it's not something to doubt in a scientific manner of materialism. Consciousness functions causally in our behavior, a caused behavior has a "neurological" component and a "mind thought" component. It turns out that there is in principle a corresponding neorological component to every mind thought component, which means they are equivalent (if not in its experience). So in this sense it may be possible in principle to find a neurological component for the other personality states besides Introversion and Extroversion (which have already been identified).

Keep in mind you can make objective claims about a domain that is subjective in its mode of existence. And do not be so easily swayed by the need for behavior to indicate one's state of consciousness. All of this was pretty much taken from one ted video:

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's not hard, proof-based science... More of a "pseudoscience" or "empirical science" like economics/psychology are (as anything based on the observation of human behaviours will ever be, essentially). To continue the analogy, economics is perfectly valid though and describe behaviours we can indeed observe in the real world. It seems to be the same here - MBTI provides some patterns you can find in people.

A huge issue with MBTI (especially on the Internet, on these forums) is that it is based on self-assessment, and that people will type themselves based on a crappy questionnaire where half of the answers people give are probably how they want to appear to the outside world rather than how they really are.

"I'm an emo kid, I hate my parents and society... Yeah, I must be an INTP: I'm super smart but misunderstood!"
Give me a break.

Anyway, still a pretty good tool IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts