Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know INFPs as perceiving people are stereotypically know to be messy and disorganized which is not always true. It is probably said that perceiving people have this stereotype because it my understanding they are interested in the process of getting somewhere rather than the end result.

I have a question for you all. When organization is necessary and you are not good at it, do you hate that you are unable to organize yourself and chart things out? Or do you accept whatever sloppy tendencies you may have as a part of you?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I /can/ be organized... for a short period of time. The only exception is when I'm working in a hospital, then I am slightly OCD so I don't forget anything. Okay, I'm very OCD. I cannot tell you how absolutely irritated I got when someone would move any of my things around, whether it was where I had my pen (despite having another 5 on me at any given point in time) or which side the suction cath was on the baby warmer while I was prepping it for a delivery. It's a very good thing I can hold my tongue.

In the rest of my life, I am one of the most unorganized people you could find. I have a general idea of where things are, or where they were, but it will take me a while to find something, especially if it's not frequently used. I know that is how I function though and so usually have made ways to compensate - for example, I rarely wear matching socks. Some of that is because I can't /find/ the second sock or don't have time to do so, but most of it is because I really have no desire to bother when I get so tired of being told how to dress for this or that. I spent far too much time as active duty and my little rebellious side has spilled over to the rest of my life. Actually, that's probably the root of much of my disorganized tendencies, it's small rebellions to growing up under the thumb of my father's expectations, so I've overcompensated and gone the other way. I'm slowly finding my way to some sort of middle ground, but I highly doubt I will ever be considered someone who puts everything in its place.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I know INFPs as perceiving people are stereotypically know to be messy and disorganized which is not always true. It is probably said that perceiving people have this stereotype because it my understanding they are interested in the process of getting somewhere rather than the end result.

I have a question for you all. When organization is necessary and you are not good at it, do you hate that you are unable to organize yourself and chart things out? Or do you accept whatever sloppy tendencies you may have as a part of you?
Neither yes or no. It's more a question of circumstance. I am as organized as I need to be whenever I need to be. It depends. I change according to the necessities. It is rather unnatural for me to be very organized but when it's necessary.... for example .... keeping a planner to keep up with school work..... then I do it. When it comes to stuff like my clothes...... I don't really care. It's not really necessary for me to organize them when it doesn't pose a problem to me. I actually find them a lot easier when they are not organized. Besides even if I do loose them .... it's kind of fun looking for them.

Basically it's like this.

Does the lack of organization give a problem?
If it does.... then I organize. If it doesn't then I don't.

I will admit though. It takes awhile before I admit that the lack of organization does pose a problem. I am hardly ever OVER organized. I like to keep things unknown and random..... it's stimulating for me. Plus it allows me to see things without walls...... like.... the ocean is so much more interesting because it isn't bounded and organized..... where as if you put walls and grids on it.... the waves would stop moving and the natural flow would cease. I like to just kind let things have their natural way of flowing so I can observe. But like anything.... you can't always do that in every context. So the contexts where I NEED to organize and enforce structure.... I can.... I just wouldn't prefer to.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I hate that when I tidy my room it doesn't stay tidy! It last a few hours, perhaps even a day before it is a mess again. I just don't see it happening until I think, wow I better tidy my room.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I hate that when I tidy my room it doesn't stay tidy! It last a few hours, perhaps even a day before it is a mess again. I just don't see it happening until I think, wow I better tidy my room.
I'm impressed you get to the clean stage in the first place!

I've still got at least 5 large boxes of crap in my room that I need to sort from my move into a new apartment in the middle of August... And despite not living there for more than transitional housing for years, I've /still/ got another 4 or 5 boxes worth of stuff in my parents house. Probably more now that I think about it. O.O

If you look at the rest of my life, it's pretty similar. I don't necessarily follow up on things that I need to, and reminders on phones and such really don't help. "I'll take care of that later" may as well be my motto. It's led to a lot of problems in the past, especially related to bills or doing any follow up appointments with docs or physical therapists or whatnot. :-/

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I'm impressed you get to the clean stage in the first place!

I've still got at least 5 large boxes of crap in my room that I need to sort from my move into a new apartment in the middle of August... And despite not living there for more than transitional housing for years, I've /still/ got another 4 or 5 boxes worth of stuff in my parents house. Probably more now that I think about it. O.O

If you look at the rest of my life, it's pretty similar. I don't necessarily follow up on things that I need to, and reminders on phones and such really don't help. "I'll take care of that later" may as well be my motto. It's led to a lot of problems in the past, especially related to bills or doing any follow up appointments with docs or physical therapists or whatnot. :-/
Haha, I try my best! I'm actually very organised, or at least I try to be, but my memory is like a sieve! Even when I'm organised I'll forget something, especially when shopping I'll always forget something even if it is on the list.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I keep a spotless home. Everything is in its place, and everything is neat & tidy. I don't know how "organized" I am, because I feel like I don't have to put much effort into it. I just do it.

However, I seem to have the Monica Gellar (FRIENDS) problem. I like my closet to be my dirty little secret. I just throw my clothes on the floor and call it good. Nobody ever looks at it, and for some reason I like knowing I have that messy little closet in my house. :cool:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I accept whatever sloppiness I have is apart of me. Doesn't mean I won't clean if I get that feeling in my stomach. For the first time in months, at least in three or four months, I cleaned and organized my room last week. It's not entirely clean, but it's like 93% clean.

Organizing myself isn't one of my favorite activities, but it has to be done every now and then.

I keep a spotless home. Everything is in its place, and everything is neat & tidy. I don't know how "organized" I am, because I feel like I don't have to put much effort into it. I just do it.

However, I seem to have the Monica Gellar (FRIENDS) problem. I like my closet to be my dirty little secret. I just throw my clothes on the floor and call it good. Nobody ever looks at it, and for some reason I like knowing I have that messy little closet in my house. :cool:
LOL, I dumped all of my clothes in my own closet! It's something that I'm proud of, too. 8D
I'm too lazy to even buy hangers .___.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a way of thinking about organization. Why should I organizing something when it's just going to get out of order again? Maybe that's just my lazy excuse for not wanting to do it in the first place. But then there are times where somethings being out of order drives me bonkers. It would have to drive me nuts for me to take the time to get things in order. Other than that there is no method to my chaos, I do it when I want to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am disorganized although I always know the general direction of something if I am looking for it. Usually I clean the place if there is something else I want to delay having to do.

Oddly If I am staying at a friends for the night after drinking with them I tend to clean up the place the next morning before everyone wakes.

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
...Or do you accept whatever sloppy tendencies you may have as a part of you?
I have lived many years without the need to lable, organize, stack, sort and file everything. Let me cut this response short with this -- I accept myself as is.

Messiness is next to Godliness.

·
Registered
602 Posts
my room is usually a mess, here at college my desk is always messy and theres papers/books and art supplies all over the place. after i got back from lunch i decided to clean up tho, so now its neat and organized. I can be very messy but theres a point where i feel I need to clean up and sometimes I just have the random urge to organize. It also depends on where Im at, if its workplace or somewhere thats more public or seen by other people, I am very neat and organized. If its my own space (room, bed, car) then im a little more laid back about it haha.

Theres a difference between messy and dirty. Dirty, I CANNOT stand, cleanliness is very important to me.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I would not say I am sloppy, but absent-minded. My apartment is a mess because other things are on my mind. My thinking takes precedence to mundane chores. It's easy for me to ignore the mess. I also tend to put off chores, so instead of hanging my clothes up, I just toss them somewhere with the idea that I'll do it later. Then it grows...

However, when I finally do decide to tackle the mess, I am not sloppy about it. I do a good job. I actually like things to be organized. Everything has a spot designated for it, and if I just took the effort to put it there to begin with, then I'd have a neater living space. I actually find things quite easily because I always know where their spot is. The only time I lose something is when it managed to not get tossed in the vicinity of it's official home :tongue: . I do have my "own way" of organizing things at times, which makes sense to me, but maybe not everyone else. Also, clutter does not bug me as long as a place is clean. I don't want to live in a museum...

When it comes to work I care about, I am NOT sloppy at all. I can be quite a perfectionist. The way things look matter to me. Because I do find it hard to focus on details, I can miss small mistakes though. As a graphic designer, I have to double & triple check things for typos and other errors, as it's easy for me to look right through them. The overall design will be very carefully thought out & executed though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts