Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always enjoyed reading about space and science fiction. It's not obsessive or hardcore, but I've always been curious and interested in these subjects.

Anyway, I've been more or less following the developments of the space elevator. I think it is a pretty cool concept. I like it because it is a novel idea and so far no one has built it yet.

What do you guys think of the space elevator? How do you think a space elevator will change the world as we know it? Do you have any ideas on how best to use the space elevator? Where will mankind go from here? Be creative and share your ideas. Imagine! For all the things we take for granted today began as an idea in the head of someone who dared to make it a reality.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It will certainly make it easier to put things into space, for a fraction of the cost.

We could potentially put many things up there, even solar panels to solve a lot of the energy problems here... not to mention build ships and structures in space.

The carbon fibres that it's made out of are also amazing, and have many practical uses!

·
Registered
440 Posts
i remember seeing a science fictional documentary featuring space lift.. i think it had the famous japanese science guy in it
they talked about a nano technology and a specfici carbon cable thingy could make this possible..

anyways.. if there could be a space elevator.. i think i will get on it to get out of the unfair oppressions i get (to do with the violence and bullying in the military conscription here).. maybe catch a flight mid-air to escape south korea i guess?

or i could go up to enjoy the red passionate sunset or sunrise :] without the noise of artificial stuff ruining the sky line

·
Registered
604 Posts
Low cost method involves a super-stratospheric lighter than air vehicle with a line suspended beneath it. This requires only about a tenth as much material as a space elevator anchored at a balance point far out in cislunar space - And it is mobile.

Simple tech comparatively. A balloon dangling a string. Some companies were experimenting with it in the late 90s but I guess they folded.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
An elevator that goes into space? Really?

Wtf is with all this? Why is nobody developing anything useful like lightsabers or robotic arms with laser guns?

Will it at least play good music?

·
Registered
107 Posts

Wtf is with all this? Why is nobody developing anything useful like lightsabers or robotic arms with laser guns?

The stuff these 'strings' are made out of are stronger then diamond and as flexible as paper. Something like 1 string with a diameter 1/100th of a human hair can hold something like 20 KGs or something crazy like that. And yes, they have already been invented and exist. The problem is producing them on a mass scale.

·
Registered
836 Posts
A tangent but...

Can we invent a call cancel button on elevators instead? Ya know, so when you push the wrong floor, you can cancel your selection (before the elevator stops). This is genius. Why can't we make it happen? WHY!??!

Also, space elevator sounds amazing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will certainly make it easier to put things into space, for a fraction of the cost.

We could potentially put many things up there, even solar panels to solve a lot of the energy problems here... not to mention build ships and structures in space.
Yes and it we can put things and people into space for a fraction of the cost, then going to space might become commonplace in the future and something people take for granted. Once they reach the space station, they might be able to take ships on a cruise to nowhere or something.

This may begin a new age of exploration and colonization once we've acquired the means and technology. Space will truly be a busy place.

The solar panel idea is good. Hopefully people will see its merits.

Imagine an INFJ cafe in space with lots of corners. :tongue:

Joking aside, it would be cool to have some space restaurants where you can get a great view of the Earth and Sun. I suppose lots of couples would enjoy the novelty of proposing in space against a scenic backdrop.

Low cost method involves a super-stratospheric lighter than air vehicle with a line suspended beneath it. This requires only about a tenth as much material as a space elevator anchored at a balance point far out in cislunar space - And it is mobile.
Maybe you could use your INFJ mind and assemble a team to build something that is truly innovative. That would be your legacy to mankind which would indeed be larger than life. We need someone who can dream and see things that others can't, then it is merely a matter of assembling a team and making that dream a reality.

anyways.. if there could be a space elevator.. i think i will get on it to get out of the unfair oppressions i get (to do with the violence and bullying in the military conscription here).. maybe catch a flight mid-air to escape south korea i guess?

or i could go up to enjoy the red passionate sunset or sunrise :] without the noise of artificial stuff ruining the sky line
I'm pretty sure that space elevators would be a new way to make bold statements. And now that you mentioned it, they would probably have to put measures in place to prevent a hijacking or terrorists attacks.

No worries, once they've built the space elevator, all your fanciful weaponry will be next haha! I think they will play good music. The journey might take some time and people have short attention spans. Maybe you could watch a movie or something.

As long as they can use it to somehow clear out some of the rubbish that's allready up there.........
It could be a whole new industry for rubbish disposal. Then companies that deal with waste can link their slogans to include space. Didn't mean for it to rhyme. :tongue:

A tangent but...

Can we invent a call cancel button on elevators instead? Ya know, so when you push the wrong floor, you can cancel your selection (before the elevator stops). This is genius. Why can't we make it happen? WHY!??!

Also, space elevator sounds amazing.
Hmm, Sarahwilliams, do you have a habit of pushing the wrong floor when you get on the elevator? What are you thinking of or doing? :tongue: Nice tangent btw. :wink:

Reactions: vel

·
Registered
118 Posts
A space elavator would be slow and cost too much... new fuels are the answer.

Reactions: The Vizier and vel

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Was The Stairway to Heaven not convenient enough? Don't have much thought's on the space elevator but now I am wondering why conventional rocket are called conventional.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts