Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell us your type(s) and what class you tend to choose in MMORPGs, and reasons why you choose it.
The reason I include the "MMO" element, is because single-player RPGs don't provide a social setting and context which could be useful in the MBTI type system.

My type: INFJ (for now, but could be any xNFx or xNTx)
My class: any ranged class with good mobility/speed and "anti-army" AoE skills (archer, magic archer, mage)
Reasons:
1. I don't play MMORPGs for the sake of in-game achievements. I'm mostly in for the social aspect of it. Hence I will spend far more time talking to players, organizing them into guilds, leading a guild, creating and managing in-game bureaucracies, provoking and solving conflicts between players/guilds, provoking conflicts with admins, climbing in-game power hierarchies.
2. As an in-game "social-power" player, rather than someone focused on leveling, exploring, hunting, loot; I don't need a heavy-tank class. On the contrary, I need a "runner" class. Someone who is capable of quickly entering and leaving the battlefield, and inflicting damage on many enemies simultaneously without physically approaching them.
3. I like to keep my distance from my enemy and my fight, because I feel far more comfortable by seeing the "bigger picture" of what's happening, being aware of the circumstances and nature of the battlefield, instead of being consumed by it.
4. Based on what I've experienced in MMORPGs so far, it appears that ranged classes are the ones who actually exude "social power" and become convincing guild-leaders, just by their mere demeanor as a ranged class. There is something comforting about knowing that your leader is always behind you, and is always observing/overlooking you. And it is very discomforting and demoralizing to see your leader, as a heavy-tank class, jump into battle and focus all his intimate up-close attention on just that one small patch of enemies. Followers who witness such behavior in their leader may at first feel proud and cheer him on, but in the long term they will start to loathe him. Ultimately they prefer a leader who is more of an overseer than a fighter, more elevated than down-to-earth, more dynamic and elusive.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Whichever I find the most fun. In my long-dead favorite MMO, Trickster Online, I used to play the Bunny and Raccoon classes the most. The Bunny was a boxer, so basically a hard hitting powerhouse. The raccoon is hard to describe, but he was basically a tank. In A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV, I used to main the Scholar, though, who is basically a very quirky support.

In a game like League of Legends or Overwatch, I am more interested in champion design/abilities than their role.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I usually play a dps class or an assassin since I love to damage and take the role of carrying.

ENFJ here

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I played distance classes like archers and snipers, and I liked to play alone mostly. Wasn't much into raids and the team-oriented aspects of them, but of course you have to do them. I mainly liked ranking up for the end-game weapons and gear, when then I could loot hunt and explore, or gather supplies to craft elite, unique weapons and gear. It was always bittersweet to get great weapons mid-game, which would be ranked at your level, knowing they'd soon be obselete, so I always looked forward to end game, which was the driving force that would keep me interested.

But yeah, the biggest draw for me was end-game exploration and loot hunting, the prospects and excitement of finding those rare items, gems, materials, etc. I could grind the same enemies and areas in anticipation for those rare treasures. Actually, loot hunting in real life would probably be quite exciting, other than the arduousness that comes with it.

I'm not sure what my type is, probably some kind of xNFx. Maybe this thread, or tidbit about myself will sway me in a direction--temporarily of course, ha.

Reactions: Falling Foxes

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Also, you seem more like an SJ than a NT or NF of some kind, Mez. Just saying.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Also, you seem more like an SJ than a NT or NF of some kind, Mez. Just saying.
There's a good reason for that, lol.
--

I don't play MMORPGs anymore, but I used to basically just play Archers - they tended to always be able to solo everything I wanted to, and also be great in teams, and they're cool af.

I've never found Mage classes etc interesting, and I don't find 'tanks' interesting either.
Don't *mind* Healers or Priests etc, but Archers are where it's at.

I used to play MMORPGs exclusively for the PvP aspect of it, and I wouldn't play them if there was no PvP aspect.
Tournaments, team battles, 1v1s, ganking, all of that - that's where it's at for me - I don't care about "raids" or any of the more social aspects of MMORPGs - I play games to kick the shit out of people, and MMORPGs are no exception.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My type: INTP
My class: Squishy Healer/Support Class
Reasons:

1. I don't really like being the center of attention. While in single-player games I love to play Paladin-style tanks, I don't want that kind of responsibility in a group setting. I just want to hang back and do my thing.

2. At the same time, I don't want to be useless. I don't want be a superfluous class. Being an unnecessary member of the party is awkward and feels awful. I'll hang out in the back, but I would like to feel needed at least.

3. I like to strategize. As a support class, I enjoy getting to take in the big picture from a safe distance and figure out who needs what buffs/heals and when. Strategy games are my favorite, so getting to devise a plan from (essentially) behind the scenes is satisfying for me. I enjoy spending my time watching the action and picking and choosing when and where to intervene, then sitting back again once I'm done.

4. I get satisfaction from helping the hero, not being the hero, if you understand what I mean by that. I like being the sidekick or the supporter. My favorite fantasy trope is The Dragon. I can't explain why, but I enjoy watching and supporting competent, passionate individuals while staying out of their way and out of the limelight as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Entj pigeoto lvl100.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
Type: ISTJ

Classes played: assassin, fighter mage, cleric (eh didn't like cleric much)

Reasons: I used to play an MMO called Perfect World. For the first few levels, you grind and get crappy gear. At higher levels, you join factions, do runs together and save up for expensive gear. TBH, I sort of had a sugar daddy. Well sugar hubby was more like it. He really enjoys setting up shop and selling items for money. He would leave his PC on all day to afk sell stuff so we can get rich lol. Well yeah, we get our gear and do more runs and faction wars more easily and funner. I always preferred to be where the action was in MMOs, never the passive role. I like to turn invisible as an assassin, come up from behind an enemy and gank the shyt out of them using a nuke combo, then go back invisible and they're just laying there dead LOL. In runs, I would be the main APS and steal all the aggro from the boss and tank-kill that mofo while 2 clerics heal me, and a tankier person steals back aggro when I'm low health. As a fighter mage, I am the one that runs in and starts AOEing all the enemies in range and watch them drop like flies. Then I run back and avoid getting killed, or if I need to tank, I fight until I die. I don't mind dying if the mission was accomplished.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Type: INTP.

Classes: Mobile classes or support.

Reasons: I'd say I'm a rather strategic player, so I don't like to just barge in and beat everyone to shit. I prefer a class that allow me to go in, do my thing than go out of dangers way or do it from afar.

I prefer support or healer though, less wait times to join dungeons or events. I feel as playing support is more rewarding although sometimes annoying, since there will always be a person that kills themselves than blame you :). For example, in WoW I play a Discipline Priest, which are really difficult to get a grasp on but once you do, it's one of the most rewarding experiences.

Reactions: Falling Foxes

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I normally focus on whichever class has the most synergy with the other players... Which in simple games could be healer/buff/tactician but if we're talking fantasy it could be any magic user. If my abilities can enhance another's in anyway I'm instantly on that.

I normally pick underplayed but highly valued classes because I know then that the team need me and they are grateful for it, I like to know that without my help that they would have fallen. I'm the glue that keeps them together.

I enjoy being dps too but there has to be some other kind of utility to them. Just like how I couldn't be pure up healer without getting tired after a while.

ENFP

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, I'm an INFJ, as far as I can tell (putting it at ~90% certain), and it's been a very long time since I played an MMORPG.

That said, when I did play WoW I had a wonderful time playing as a Dwarven Hunter. Long range, resourceful, decent in a close-range fight, vicious beast following me around. It was a pretty fun time. I liked the idea of being off on my own, able to explore around at anything that looked interesting. Which reminds me, he was a pretty decent miner and blacksmith, too.

Now if we're talking single player stuff, like Skyrim for instance, I usually end up either playing as the two-handed barbarian in light armor, able to get into and out of a fight fast, leaving lots of pain behind. That, or a good old fashioned spellsword, which is similar to how I went through the Mass Effect games. But I digress, before I derail the thread completely.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
There's a good reason for that, lol.
--

I don't play MMORPGs anymore, but I used to basically just play Archers - they tended to always be able to solo everything I wanted to, and also be great in teams, and they're cool af.

I've never found Mage classes etc interesting, and I don't find 'tanks' interesting either.
Don't *mind* Healers or Priests etc, but Archers are where it's at.

I used to play MMORPGs exclusively for the PvP aspect of it, and I wouldn't play them if there was no PvP aspect.
Tournaments, team battles, 1v1s, ganking, all of that - that's where it's at for me - I don't care about "raids" or any of the more social aspects of MMORPGs - I play games to kick the shit out of people, and MMORPGs are no exception.
Why do you say that?

I guess that kinda confirms we are no the same type as you theorized! /s

I can see the appeal in pretty much any standard class, which makes choosing one usually tricky for me. I think that in general, the concept of being an unstoppable, hard to kill wall protecting the team is what appeals to me the most, but I don't appreciate being in the spotlight, which comes with the territory. Also, it is much more rare for the DPS classes to be blamed for loses than tanks and supports.

This is probably why Poppy is my favorite champ in League, as she is almost unkillable after buying a few items. Conceptually, I actually like Kindred more, but that stupid passive keeps them stuck in the jungle and I don't want to jungle ever unless necessary.

By the way, here is a picture of my character in A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV. I haven't played it since around the day of that screenshot, so it has been almost two years. It was fun, but too time consuming (as MMOs are supposed to be) and seeing half-naked cat women all the time got really tiring eventually. I did try playing it again a few months ago, but I couldn't figure out the second password thingie so I just gave up.

Steam Community :: Screenshot

On your second point, I am really bad at competition. Can't handle the anxiety and I haven't figured out how yet. In League of Legends, for example, my most played modes are the least competitive ones like ARAM. Feelsbad.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts

Why do you say that?

I guess that kinda confirms we are no the same type as you theorized! /s

I can see the appeal in pretty much any standard class, which makes choosing one usually tricky for me. I think that in general, the concept of being an unstoppable, hard to kill wall protecting the team is what appeals to me the most, but I don't appreciate being in the spotlight, which comes with the territory. Also, it is much more rare for the DPS classes to be blamed for loses than tanks and supports.

This is probably why Poppy is my favorite champ in League, as she is almost unkillable after buying a few items. Conceptually, I actually like Kindred more, but that stupid passive keeps them stuck in the jungle and I don't want to jungle ever unless necessary.

By the way, here is a picture of my character in A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV. I haven't played it since around the day of that screenshot, so it has been almost two years. It was fun, but too time consuming (as MMOs are supposed to be) and seeing half-naked cat women all the time got really tiring eventually. I did try playing it again a few months ago, but I couldn't figure out the second password thingie so I just gave up.

Steam Community :: Screenshot

On your second point, I am really bad at competition. Can't handle the anxiety and I haven't figured out how yet. In League of Legends, for example, my most played modes are the least competitive ones like ARAM. Feelsbad.
:)

---

I used to use Poppy a lot too - I believe my most played character was Udyr - I actually became a bit of a "running joke" on the GameFAQs message board as the Udyr guy - he got nerfed at some point and I went around telling everyone he sucked but I was still actually using him.

I liked him because I could play him top, jungle or as support - preferred solo top, but I just loved his design so I'd use him basically all the time, I even won some mids with him but tbh I was like the worst player out. lol.

Man.

I want to play again, I really do, haha.

·
Banned
3,277 Posts
INfP

Healer duh

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
:)

---

I used to use Poppy a lot too - I believe my most played character was Udyr - I actually became a bit of a "running joke" on the GameFAQs message board as the Udyr guy - he got nerfed at some point and I went around telling everyone he sucked but I was still actually using him.

I liked him because I could play him top, jungle or as support - preferred solo top, but I just loved his design so I'd use him basically all the time, I even won some mids with him but tbh I was like the worst player out. lol.

Man.

I want to play again, I really do, haha.
I was really curious about why you said that, though.

Also, apologies for mentioning League all the time, even though you want to play but can't/shouldn't.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Classes I play: Swordsman, Mage, and Monk.

Reason For Swordsman: I usually play the main character in most game I play, and because of the fact that most of them are the Swordsman class that it's the one I am the most adept at playing the most. The front line fighter is one of the more useful and needed members of various teams and I enjoy doing damage the most as well. One of the benefits I like to being on the frontlines, is that I am able to point out a lot more that I notice as far as patterns and attacks.

Reason For Mage: The mage class is also a good damage dealer, and in way helps me plan out strategies out and make good observations as well. Though the particular reason for it would be, because the mage characters are usually the ones I like. As my avatar and signature proves. Yes, she is a mage I play.

Reason For Monk:
Put everything I said about Swordsman and add the ability to heal others. This is a class I've recently played that I've gotten into, the bare fisted monk class. I like being able to attack, and also keep other people alive at the same time. The option to attack the enemy and heal allies is too strong for me.

Type: ENFJ

·
Banned
800 Posts
Partly due to timing and partly money, almost only MMOs I ever played were MUDs though most weren't remotely massive. I preferred a class that could solo, preferably with some mechanism to hit above my weight, guerrilla/skirmisher style or juggling combos/temp-attributes. In modern parlance, I guess that was usually DPS with high maneuverability/mobility. Typically, it was more of a nuke with some trick to raise attack in combat or summon some temp/conditional effect/special-attack. I did have an awkward habit of picking up a lost runt then a lowbie then maybe a midbie or even inexperienced highbie thus accidentally leading a group.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts