Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You spot an acquaintance or friend crying in public. actions? thoughts? feelings? Assuming that it's not an emergency situation.

Me:

ESTP

I hand out tissues / and or throw theirs away afterwards, but I'd generally leave them alone.

Reason: provision of space.
Feelings: curiosity, dampened aggression if any was present, possible increased aesthetic attraction or awkwardness depending on the person.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am an INTJ. The following assumes no immediate medical attention is required.

• Stranger:
    • Action: Ignore
    • Reason: There is nothing I can do to help, especially if the person is mentally imbalanced
    • Feelings: No significant feelings
  • Business acquaintance:
    • Action: Cancel appointment and send an e-mail asking to reschedule
    • Reason: It is inappropriate to show extreme emotion in a business setting
    • Feelings: Slight pity - "Poor emotional people, unable to handle their emotions."
  • Personal acquaintance:
    • Action: Offer auxiliary handkerchief, continue to friend procedure if they accept the handkerchief, end interaction if they refuse the handkerchief
    • Reason: Offering a handkerchief is a socially accepted way to indirectly ask if someone wants help from you during an emotional crisis
    • Feelings: Slight discomfort, slight confusion
  • Friend:
    • Actions:
      1. Guide them to a location that offers some privacy
      2. Offer them a seat
      3. Offer auxiliary handkerchief
      4. Ask what's wrong
      5. Repress urge to offer solution to their problem
    • Reason: If someone who can tolerate my presence is brought to tears, they have a valid reason to be crying
    • Feelings: Moderate confusion, moderate urge to protect, variable discomfort

Note: Personal acquaintances who accept the handkerchief are promoted to Friend and may stay in their elevated position if they so wish.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am an INTJ. The following assumes no immediate medical attention is required.

• Stranger:
    • Action: Ignore
    • Reason: There is nothing I can do to help, especially if the person is mentally imbalanced
    • Feelings: No significant feelings
  • Business acquaintance:
    • Action: Cancel appointment and send an e-mail asking to reschedule
    • Reason: It is inappropriate to show extreme emotion in a business setting
    • Feelings: Slight pity - "Poor emotional people, unable to handle their emotions."
  • Personal acquaintance:
    • Action: Offer auxiliary handkerchief, continue to friend procedure if they accept the handkerchief, end interaction if they refuse the handkerchief
    • Reason: Offering a handkerchief is a socially accepted way to indirectly ask if someone wants help from you during an emotional crisis
    • Feelings: Slight discomfort, slight confusion
  • Friend:
    • Actions:
      1. Guide them to a location that offers some privacy
      2. Offer them a seat
      3. Offer auxiliary handkerchief
      4. Ask what's wrong
      5. Repress urge to offer solution to their problem
    • Reason: If someone who can tolerate my presence is brought to tears, they have a valid reason to be crying
    • Feelings: Moderate confusion, moderate urge to protect, variable discomfort

Note: Personal acquaintances who accept the handkerchief are promoted to Friend and may stay in their elevated position if they so wish.
http://personalitycafe.com/intj-for...um-feel-need-perpetuate-intj-stereotypes.html

Personally I just ignore them unless they're in obvious physical pain. I have no idea how to cheer up someone who's crying, honestly. Unless of course I know them and I already know what it is they may be dealing with so I could go in and be constructive and otherwise helpful.

If someone is crying because they recieved a text saying that their girlfriend/boyfriend has decided to ditch them, well, sorry, that sucks, but I haven't got any advice to give them and I'll assume that they know that I have little to offer as a stranger anyway. And I'm not fit to give relationship advice.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Not sure of my type.. IxFJ/IxFP I would probably compelled to put my arm around them and talk to them. This happened when I was in high school once, a girl I knew in class and had a decent rapport with was telling me that some girl she knew told her she should kill herself and she burst into tears in the middle of class... I was stunned, but immediately pulled her close to me and held her while her tears spilled all over my clothing. I didn't think about it, that was just my natural reaction. A lot of people might prefer privacy but I think I'd probably insist on trying to help them however I could unless they specifically told me to leave them alone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
INFP:
Stranger-I would run over, put my arm around them and tell 'em everything is gonna be alright. I'd probably not leave them alone for the rest of the day..
Reason/Feelings:I can't stand to see anyone crying/in pain, I feel they must be helped - therefore I just reallyy want to hug them :p. Typical.
I'd most likely be feeling their sadness, too, and that would give me more reason to want to help them/comfort them. I might(might)also decide to walk with them and talk to see what the problem/reason of crying would be. I would then tell them everything would be okay, and be their friend-INFP style ;D.
And, after all that, I would have forgotten to give them a tissue~

Friend:
I would go ballistic and run over and hug them then buy them coffee and give them a ticket to Florida so they can live out their life in peace and harmony and-...Okay, actually..
Hug the poor thing and possibly ask what the matter might be. I would feel/be thinking about the rest of the week their sadness and probably be with them for the whole week, constantly checking in on them and being the Friend I should be. Life should be happy and gorgeous-there is no need for crying.

Now that actually sounded pretty typical for an INFP...

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
INTJ -

Someone crying in public, outside funerals, always makes me deeply uncomfortable and my instinct is to get away as fast as I can, even if my heart goes out to them.

However...

If this is a good friend, or an acquaintance who does not seem like the weepy type, I will go and ask what's wrong and if there's anything I can do to help. Sometimes this has meant sitting with them for an hour while they talked it out (gah!), sometimes just helping them get their face washed and showing I cared was enough.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
INFJ.
If it's a stranger and is asking me to help while he's crying I would totally do my best to help that person. I hate when people cries.
If this person is someone closer to me I start crying with that person lol, I always cry when my people cries and then is just hugs and talking, and doing jokes to make them laugh.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm an ENTP, possibly ENFP.
I walk up to them slowly and if they look like they're in need of help/don't want to be left alone, I gently pull them down (since I'm short) and hug them as long as they need and have them rest their head on my shoulder and cry. Then I'll sit them down if there's a bench nearby and once they're calm enough to be coherent I ask them if they want to talk about it as long as I don't have to hurry anywhere. If it's a friend I usually break down and start crying too but still try to be supportive. I do it because if an adult is willing to/can't control crying in public, clearly something really bad happened and they need help.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I usually pretend I don't see people I know in public.

But, if I know they know I know they're there, I suppose I'd go over and ask them what's wrong. Some people want to be fawned all over, which is not part of my skill set, but I think most people just want somebody to listen. I could do that until they calmed down.

What do I think? I think I'd rather walk on hot coals than openly cry in front of a bunch of strangers.
What do I feel? Awkward. Possibly sympathetic depending on why they're crying.

Reactions: Choice

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If its someone I know but don't really talk to, I'll leave them alone.

If its a person that I'm definitely friends with, I'll go over and ask whats wrong, hear whatever they have to say, and try to fix it. If they don't want a solution and just want to talk, then I try my best just to be there and listen to them.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
ISTP

I'd try to ask him or her what was wrong and if they needed to talk to someone. If he or she said, "No", then I'd leave him or her be. If he or she was a friend, I'd contact him or her later, just to know what was happening, and if things were better.

Reason: When I see someone crying, I can't help but hear alarms go off in my head. I'm from a place where almost no one cries, at least in public. To this day, seeing someone cry is a sign that something is very wrong. Also, seeing someone cry reminds me of a few people in my life. Some of them aren't with me anymore.

Feelings: Anger. Way more than usual. Not towards the person that is crying, but for some reason, I always assume that is was someone else that made him or her cry. I never show it though. Whenever someone is crying in front of me, I try to be friendly and kind with them. Lots of awkwardness, anxiousness, and confusion as well. Though I try to be there for people, I'm not Mr. Rogers. No matter how much I want to be.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Tell them they got guts to cry in public and should feel proud of themselves. They'll laugh and feel a lot better as a result. If it's a guy, then I'll say just that and walk away with a pat. If it's a cute girl, then I'll get her number.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I'd hand them a tissue and stand with my back to them and try to block their view from strangers. Maybe try to crack a joke. I don't want to make it worse by standing there watching them, but I don't want to leave them in a vulnerable state in full view of strangers. They have a bulls eye on their forehead any con-artist is going to be attracted to.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If it's a stranger and is crying alone, depending on wether I have time or not, I would probably approach them and ask what's wrong. Be comforting and improvise. Everyone's saying they'll give the person a tissue but I don't normally carry tissues with me lol.
If it's a friend then I'd probably do the same and I may or may not start crying as well. Also, I'd probably be able to give the friend better advice since I know them and their situation better.

Reactions: Choice

·
Registered
538 Posts
INFJ - Crying people make me feel uncomfortable, but I am open to see if they need my help. If they seek out my help, I usually offer a hug &/or my ear to them, depending on how the situation reads. For friends, I offer those things more readily and proactively as well as humor (if it's appropriate). For my special people, I will do nearly anything to make it better.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
If it's a stranger and is crying alone, depending on wether I have time or not, I would probably approach them and ask what's wrong. Be comforting and improvise. Everyone's saying they'll give the person a tissue but I don't normally carry tissues with me lol.
If it's a friend then I'd probably do the same and I may or may not start crying as well. Also, I'd probably be able to give the friend better advice since I know them and their situation better.
I've got kids. I carry tissues.

·
Registered
416 Posts
ExFP -

I don't think it's too relevant if it's a stranger or a close friend. I'd quickly try to assess the situation (possible causes) and go upto them and talk, then try to cheer them up or see if there's any way I can help resolve the situation. I won't leave till I either solve whatever it is or till I know I've equipped them to better handle it in some way.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.