Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm testing a theory, and I'd like to know your views on graffiti. What do you make of it, unsightly, interesting, you know. So, come on, you can tell me.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I like the nice colourful ones, the illegible tags are pointless. Even my mother likes the nice stuff after we got stuck waiting for a 20 minute train pause at the tracks and I pointed out some of the nice stuff. She had made a comment I assume would have been someone critical so I had her really look at some and now she appreciates it the way I do. There's some rally amazing artists out there not being discovered and worse, being made into criminals for expressing themselves the only way they can. I don't think it should be just anywhere like downtown on buildings in use but there are places that are more than acceptable like those great big "walls" where people put posters all over for events and abandoned buildings, at least there the owners don't have to pay to clean it up if they don't want it there.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I like it, mostly. I would rather have someone spray up something profound or something that strikes a chord,rather than some lame star wars stencil or something (although most graffiti is pleasing to find). I also don't like those illegible tags; I'm not interested in those. Someone sprayed "Smile, things will get better" beneath an overpass that gets a lot of traffic in my town, and it intrigued me. Written on paper it wouldn't have, though. Our town is very prim and proper (they deport homeless people and don't allow tattoo/piercing shops and things like that), so it was kind of like a breath of fresh air, even if it was quite simple. I thought about doing the stuff last September when I hit a rough patch in my life, but never went ahead with it. I would have probably done something similar. Written something that hopefully made people ask why or who might have done that and what they were thinking.

Another form of anonymous art I love is bathroom graffiti. I don't care how crude or horrible it is, I love it cause it's completely pure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love the ones that are pictures! I think they are beautiful. I don't really like the ones that are just words- not that they aren't cool but they bore me D:

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
where I live there are many old building that have been painted all over(grafiti'd) and it looks stunningly good, BUT, those quick black mess tags are abhorring.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think it depends really on the Graffiti, if it's extremely well made then why wouldn't I like it? If it's poorly made, by some kid or some asshole in a gang with the standard bubble letters then it's awful and should be cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I like it in all forms. I grew up in NYC, it makes me feel at home in a way. Even if it's just a shitty tag or throw up, it still sort of resinates with me. You dont get to see those beautiful murals if you dont accept the tags and throw ups which are essentially the artist practicing.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
where I live there are many old building that have been painted all over(graffiti'd) and it looks stunningly good, BUT, those quick black mess tags are abhorring.
The earliest exposure I had was in Montreal, I don't know if you've been there, but obviously there are a lot of serious art type ones that are ridiculously huge like entire sides of tall buildings, I was always amazed by those.

Reactions: Cover3

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
The earliest exposure I had was in Montreal, I don't know if you've been there, but obviously there are a lot of serious art type ones that are ridiculously huge like entire sides of tall buildings, I was always amazed by those.
Yes I know what you're speaking of, there are numerous buildings which share this feature, ranging from the sides of red-bricked corner stores, to bigger buildings like old breweries downtown, what makes it awesome in my opinion is how you can find those anywhere from so-called poor neighborhoods, as well as downtown, and upper-scale locations(except the upper-upper-scale of course.)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The actual art is often beautiiful. Tagging is disgusting.

That said, I thought the title said "what do you think of giraffes"...

·
Banned
25 Posts
If it's in good taste, then I support it. But if it's just some gang's tagging walls with their symbol's, or tagging obscenities, I think it's just sad.

An example of tasteful Graffiti?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Hey, I'm testing a theory, and I'd like to know your views on graffiti. What do you make of it, unsightly, interesting, you know. So, come on, you can tell me.
I grew up in NYC where it was the norm for streets, trains, walls, and vans to be filled with graffiti without restraints, that type of graffiti was pretty much a competition between taggers to up each other, just as a human way to mark their spot as dogs and cats do, so it tended to lack much appeal, and many felt it gave off a menacing vibe to it, and since the taggers were mostly involved in gang activities or narcotrafficking, it may have been justified to get uncomfortable around them, since it also was likely that guns were around too.

That was the older days, and since then graffiti has in some areas removed itself away from such associations, and has become a form for real artists to spread their talents on murals, or on abandoned street walls, and this differs from the cluttered up mess that used to be beforehand. I am obsessed with art, so when I pass by a superbly done graffiti wall it can easily make me drool, and yes some plain word tags or name tags are so creative and original that they too can make me thankful that someone took the time to do it.

California has many areas as well where graffiti artists take much time in making an elaborate display, such as in bridges and small parks, and I personally think that they add to the scenery and give much beauty to it, they can downright singlehandedly make a place memorable that would otherwise have no points of attraction to someone that was just passing through.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I like it in all forms. I grew up in NYC, it makes me feel at home in a way. Even if it's just a shitty tag or throw up, it still sort of resinates with me. You dont get to see those beautiful murals if you dont accept the tags and throw ups which are essentially the artist practicing.
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love it, I like low brow type work. I cannot stand junky stuff though like pointless tagging or people who just have no business attempting it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Some people are unbelievably talented at Graffiti art. I wish I could do it! I'm not so hot on the defacing public property part, but I do enjoy the pretty stuff. The random tags and ugly, black and white drippy scribbles really don't need to be there though. If it adds to the aesthetics of something, I'm at least *interested* in it, if not wholly supportive of it. XD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts