Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the start I used to feel like a fraud when people said this. Then as more and more people said it over time, I realized that I just had a different interpretation of intelligence than they did.

What do you consider intelligence to be, is it something that you can define?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Intelligence can only be self-defined as we tend to weigh it with our own preferential sets of values and ideologies.

Personally, I judge one's intelligence based on how the person cultivates creativity to display sensitivity to problems, to express flexibility and fluency of thinking, re-definition (seeing old things in new ways), and especially originality.

All of these can be expressed in any art form, oral and verbal communication, or group work/project.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I've looked into intelligence a lot, and it doesn't seem to actually be defined anywhere. I don't think it really exists and there's just knowledgeable, wise, insightful, aware etc. Maybe intelligence is a sort of umbrella term for those, but lots of those things are very different...

I can relate to feeling like a fraud when called intelligent. Lots of people seem to think good grades = intelligence when actually lots of academics don't know anything.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I prefer the term "insightful," if anything.

I don't get called intelligent very often, and usually when I do, it's from family, or friends. Even then, though, I get kind of bashful (not a good word), and I try to accept the compliment without saying "no, I'm not."

The only time I've been called intelligent and it's really meant something to me, is when it came from a narcissistic, conceited, borderline sociopathic INTJ.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I think we as human beings aspire to different kinds of intelligence, and that when we think someone is smart, we secretly desire to share that aspect with them.

I admire those with analytical, scientific minds, or social engineers. Some people I know I admire because they can do things and see things I would struggle to comprehend.

But, a lot of people call me smart, even though I don't really think I am, because I'm quite self-aware, and I have a kind of meta-awareness as well. I can look through some events and see the motivations behind it. I can make connections between stuff.
I'm always talking about Video Games, and I link almost any situation to Pop Culture within the last 40 years or so. (though mostly 80's-00's stuff though, since, give me some credit here, I'm only 21 years old here! XD (Plus I was never a fan of history at school, (or geography for that matter. Yup. I'm Mr. Wrong Turn at Alberquerque)))

·
Registered
186 Posts
I get that a lot, too. I get more uncomfortable, though, trying to figure out how to react than anything else. Not to sound egotistical but I really do feel that I'm more intelligent than the majority of people around me (or at least those that tell me I'm intelligent) but I know that it's kind of a dick move to flaunt that so I usually just kind of nod and remain silent whenever I get that. I usually get "interesting" more often than "intelligent" though, which throws me for a loop. What even the fuck does that mean? There are lots of things that are interesting and there are lots of different ways to be interested in something and I wish people would elaborate on why I'm so "interesting."

I think that intelligence is sort of an abstraction or ideal that doesn't really exist, similar to something along the lines of what @RetroVortex and @laurie17 said. That said, there are still people that I'll look at and think, "That person is intelligent." To me, intelligence is a balance of "book smarts" and "street smarts." Being able to learn new things and grasp ideas and apply those ideas to other systems or situations is a huge contributor to intelligence. But I've met people that were good at that and were still complete dumbasses. There's a degree of common sense that's required. I don't really know how to explain further than just "common sense" so I guess I'll leave that there.

Also yeah, I agree with laurie again about academics. Grades don't even come close to measuring intelligence.

·
Banned
576 Posts
I never really believed that functional intelligence could be scaled as having more than an subtle range at best. Otherwise it wouldn't seem axiomatic with the current models of genetics. Unless you'd like to amuse the idea of spaceships that minimized disrupting our confirmation bias of normal terrestrial wavelength signals including that of light. And randomly abduct people to modify their genes...*cough*..infj*cough* *abnormal hindsight* *cough*

However i think the majority of people use intellect in association with perception rather than function. In relevance to the I.q drug thread it seems that some people(intuits) have a slightly higher threshold but much lower ceiling when it comes to amusement. And so become typically more inclined to have a strong multifaceted stand point. Now if we attempt to define intelligence it only seem possible from the collective view point. During that perspective we know that functional intelligence can not be changed expect by mother nature who's been sleeping it off. But perceptually it is constantly evolving. We will then use the normalcy bias to picture a cohesive model for the future. And then in the micro aspect of our lives assets the patterns relative to that.

My physical interpretation of intelligence is this. Spell intelligence :). If you understand english than i am looking at your expressions as you contemplate intelligence.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am often called intelligent even when I notice something that's kind of just common sense to me. I think that as an INTP my Ne differentiates my observations from most other peoples observations and I think that most of you guys can agree with that from what I've read in this thread. It surprises me sometimes when things that I observed to be common sense are surprising to some people. For example, when I was a child I had a conversation with a friend where I brought up the fact that objects slow down when you throw them into the air and begin to speed up as they fall. After about 10 minutes of discussing it I was completely dumbfounded when I realized that he just thought objects stopped and began to fall at a constant speed. Now of course, at the age of I think 8, I didn't think of it like a parabolic trajectory or anything complicated, it was just obvious to me that objects slow down and speed up respectively.

I believe that intelligence is determined on how well your brain makes connections. I am often frustrated when someone brings up the idea that grades or scores have anything to do with it. In fact I am usually completely offended when a teacher says that the kid in the front with straight As understands the material better than the kid in the back who never turns in assignments and is chugging along with Ds and Cs even though he or she completely understands what is being taught. I could go on a rant for another ten pages about how incredibly unfair the school system is to the "truly smart" types of people, giving more praise and attention to people who spend hours of cramming material into their heads just to pass a test and then forget it rather than the people who can determine for themselves whats important to them and decide that that's all they need to know about that subject in order to better themselves rather than their grades.

Reactions: BUtheBabyUnicorn

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am quite intelligent, as an INTP. I was told that an intellectual was someone who could draw relations between unrelated systems to provide new information. If you want to expound I will....

But it will be this big.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Intelligence means nothing without wisdom.

For example, Hitler was intelligent, but he had a complete lack of wisdom which led him down an idiotic path.
Hitler wasn't that intelligent.
He was a damned good actor, though.

He sucked at painting, but even as a leader he was poor.
He ran his government inefficiently (job descriptions were intentionally left vague, so to pit people against each other to become Hitler's Favourite rather than you know, genuinely working on the Nazi effort) and was really quite crap at getting around and doing work (spent most of his time lazing around with his family).

That's all I can rattle off of the top of my head.
Also, the SS were very few in number (I believe in a city of around a million, there were only 20-something SS).

Fun facts: He was against smoking and was not a vegetarian. He was also against hunting (probably where the vegetarian thing started from).

Ask me about the French military next. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
i hear i am intelligent EVERY day in school. normally from other kids. i have heard this since the 3rd grade i think, might have been 2nd. i also hear this from my dad. now i simply tell them "err, i am not intelligent....". yet they still tell me i am intelligent. a b- student. oh well, i guess they interpret being slightly intelligent as being intelligent.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Since I was a little boy, it seems I've been doomed to be above average but never quite there.

Most of the stuff I think about is trashed for the new, so fuck, I could be the smartest motherfucker on the planet, and all anyone would see is me talking about stupid shit and making weird points.

·
Read Only
795 Posts
I've heard from quite a few people that I'm intelligent. The way I figger is that I'm just smart enough to appear very smart. It's more of a Jedi Mind-trick than intelligence most of the time. I am smarter than your average bowling pin though.
I can't really define it without sounding like a dumbass. It's definitely not how much you memorize for a test, or how many sesquipedalian words you can use in a sentence. I think it's more correlated with creativity. How you make connections between two unlike things in your mind. I also believe that there's more than one type of intelligence (Social, Emotional, Tactical, Logistical, etc.), many of which I lack.

·
Registered
988 Posts
People call me intelligent whenever I have an unexpected epiphany, so I've learned to stop trusting those people.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts