Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you INFPs have heard many/most people often told you (or even scorned, laughed, ridiculed, or better-way: 'advised' you) these words?

and then, do you often feel hurt, or even angry, because it seems that these people don't understand us, and seems to 'invalidate' ALL about ourselves, and our nature & all our thoughts?

especially I feel in today's "Instant/A.D.D Generation" of 21st century that most people just seems to have NO time to sit calmly & think/ponder about their lives, let alone existence, meaning of life, etc! (I also blame this mostly to 'uncontrolled' Capitalism, which I strongly still believe to be the *root* of all 'degradation' problems in our today's world/society/humanity!...but that's for another topic, or see the excellent "Zeitgeist" thread also somewhere in this forum, for the deeper discussion!)

Do you think what these people said is true?
if yes, then what should we DO about it, as a solution?
and if not, then what is your response/reply to these "normal" people?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Oh no, these people like to think. Maybe they'll become smart, develop critical thinking skills and think for themselves :shocked: (I'm not offending anyone here or aiming this at anyone, just taking the piss a bit)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I find that people only tell you that you're thinking too much when you start complaining that you're not getting what you want from life.

Of course, you can sit and think as much as you like, just don't complain that the universe isn't giving you everything you ever wanted by just sitting there and thinking about it.

It's really hard to make the world better just by thinking about how it should be better.

Reactions: kaychivers and niki

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think that it's true only based on the fact that we DO need to adapt, as unpleasant as it sounds.
do whatever you like! people will be jerk-faces no matter what. might aswell enjoy ourselves if nobody else is ;)
my general reply is that i don't think too much, i just think quickly which helps me to come up with solutions, scenarios, and opinions.

my least favorite thing is when people think you have too much time on your hands because you're thinking. there's nothing wrong with free time nor is there anything wrong with thinking. my anscestors lived the "go go go" life style so that i wouldn't have to.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
@infpblog is correct imo. Thinking isn't enough, you`need to apply solutions and here is where reality clashes with ideals.

I find that I think too much as well, I have been told I think too much, but I also realized that without first conquering personal issues I tend to hesitate & don't have the fortitude or stamina to apply ideas. I also found that getting off my ass & putting myself out there, pushing my values within the limits of reason builds that very same fortitude & stamina I need.

Imo its | think==> try ==> fail ==> think again ==> try again and again ===> succeed | what we are looking at. It ain't easy & man do I get lazy sometimes.

Figuring things out isn't enough and just acting without figuring things out is a waste of time imo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to hear such words quite often; till I came to accept that if I did not want to hear the words, I ought to keep my ideas to myself. Perhaps these people are not used to the way brains are worked, and designed, so they feel taken aback with all the process one's brain goes through compared to their own which ... reveals them to be very little.

For as long as I can remember, I have never understood why people hurry things along. Their first response, more often than not, is "I am trying to save time", but they do not specify what it is they are saving time for. Unless I am wrong, I am quite sure they spend this saved time sitting upon a couch staring at a wall.

They could indeed be speaking of the truth; but, we very well may find other people who over think more than ourselves. There is always someone; whether we ought to do anything or not depends on the individual. I do not mean to sound vain, or prideful, but I am probably the most uninformed person who ever pushed these people out of my life.

:dry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts