Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If it's a weekend night and you're on PerC labeled as a extrovert, put down the technology and go have fun!

*Night guys*

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I would outlaw stupidity and then define stupidity in about 60,000 different ways to make the law as wide-reaching as possible.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would outlaw stupidity and then define stupidity in about 60,000 different ways to make the law as wide-reaching as possible.
Stupidity is too vague and broad, that law wouldn't pass :p

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Stupidity is too vague and broad, that law wouldn't pass :p
hence the "define stupidity in about 60,000 different ways to make the law as wide-reaching as possible"

ie "It's stupid to gerrymander, it's stupid to have tax exemptions for people who make over $1m/year, it's stupid to have semi-automatic rifles", etc.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That everyone, up until the age of 26 must have a savings account used for the benefit of students, provided using the tax money of the top .2% of american earners, so that everybody has an equal upbringing and education.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, from a realist perspective--- don't we already hold sovereignty in this department?
Yes, most people are capable of committing suicide ourselves, but that's not the question here. ArBell said the right to die. There are countries where euthanasia and suicide are illegal. I believe everyone has the right to decide about their own life and death and government restricting this right is just humiliating and violates, in my opinion, basic human rights.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes, most people are capable of committing suicide ourselves, but that's not the question here. ArBell said the right to die. There are countries where euthanasia and suicide are illegal. I believe everyone has the right to decide about their own life and death and government restricting this right is just humiliating and violates, in my opinion, basic human rights.
I get that; but at the point of demise what matter is it for the person that's dead? It's a nonissue; a dead man isn't going to be incarcerated for the homicide of self.

I could care less if the government or the poster in question wants me to refrain from offing myself. If I want it done I'm going to make it happen.

Note: I'm speaking hypothetically. I'm not a threat to myself.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I get that; but at the point of demise what matter is it for the person that's dead? It's a nonissue; a dead man isn't going to be incarcerated for the homicide of self.

I could care less if the government or the poster in question wants me to refrain from offing myself. If I want it done I'm going to make it happen.

It isn't a possibility for people who have lost the physical capacity to commit suicide.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Of course people who really want to make it happen will in one way or another. I believe people have the right to decide about their own life and death and if I wanted to kill myself (hypothetically speaking) I would not want to have to be ashamed of my decision or have to hide it from others. I would want to make the most of my death and make it beautiful, not die alone in some ugly toilet and be found by random people by accident. Death is something everyone experiences only once and I would want to make the most of mine when it's time and it makes me disgusted that the government restricts my right to do this, takes away my right to decide about when and how I'll die.

·
Registered
427 Posts
@Lesuhlee @desinys
I agree with what you have said.

Taking the UK for example, where a failed suicide attempt would be followed by prosecution (until the 1961 Act), a woman (Mrs Pretty) who was paralysed neck to bottom was technically refused the right to die when the courts decided that having her husband assist her suicide was illegal and a crime. In 2002, the European Courts of Human Rights upheld the decision of the English courts and the woman ended up dying a 'natural' death.
There's a huge debate about article 2 of the ECHR about the right to life and it's relation to article 3 right to be free from degrading treatment. The woman rightly believed that having to wither away slowly and painfully as a consequence of her illness was degrading treatment, but because of article 2, assisted suicides are illegal.

As @Wayside said, this is the desolation.

Reactions: desinys

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't know exactly how I would articulate the law, but I would enact some kind of law focused on respecting the environment and shifting the relationship between human beings and the natural world.

Feel free to take a stab at what that might be if you have any ideas.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't know exactly how I would articulate the law, but I would enact some kind of law focused on respecting the environment and shifting the relationship between human beings and the natural world.

Feel free to take a stab at what that might be if you have any ideas.
I was thinking of writing something along those lines, but all is unsettled in the world of environment regulations... Waiting on Paris Climate Change Conference to formulate something concrete... If I could create a supreme law, I would force every country to sign a pact saying they will reduce their emissions (GHG/Co2/etc) by 40% from 1990-2000 values by 2020, failing which, they'll have to pay up some hefty fines to the IMF or some world green bank (funds which are meant to be used to help developing countries cope with the effects of climate change/to make things more sustainable). But we all know that international law enforcement sucks and this would never happen, and if it did, countries (looking at you, US and United Kingdom) would probably refuse to sign it.

Reactions: Wayside
1 - 20 of 29 Posts