Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
English is an amazing linguistic system - probably the most versatile and advanced on the planet; and more amazingly still, new semantic patterns continually emerge! The evolution of language is ineffable, and yet the extent to which one may express thoughts through speech and literature is inherently limited, for even the most complex language is a system of symbols, false representations of perceived quanta.

I feel trapped by language!

How can even the most affluent poetry or prose ever convey the depth of emotion of naked experience? I stand in reverence of the nature of being, what I am, and my relation to the All that is my home and my life - a world so vast that any attempted measurement of even a fraction of its beauty is inexorably prehensile and blasphemous in comparison to what is truly there!

In every moment I feel the overwhelming sense that there is something grand emerging from within, a manifold of thought and form so novel and divine that its manifestation is nothing short of the entirety of infinity! No art but that of Living can ever do this omnipotent phenomenon fair justice.

In my study of Japanese language I came across the only word I have ever known to come even marginally close to accurately portraying what I honestly feel in every moment of my life:

View attachment 73085
Yugen /yoo-ghen/ n. (japanese): awareness of the Universe that triggers emotional responses too powerful for words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D05ej8u-gU

Yet as I speak the word it feels like harsh sand upon my lips, lifeless ash upon my tongue, so devoid of substance I cannot bear to speak again while I gaze up at the stars....

And I somehow have to get a job and interact with people in a socially acceptable way? Ha! It's even worse when someone comes to me for advice and I cannot tell them what I mean because "the words just aren't there."

Does anyone know telepathy, and can they teach me? -__-;

·
Registered
68 Posts
But perhaps the most mysterious thing he ever said about it was this. I was questioning him on the subject . . . and had incautiously said, "Of course, I realize it's all rather too vague for you to put into words," when he took me up rather sharply by saying, "On the contrary, it is words that are vague. The reason why the thing can't be expressed is that it's too definite for language."
- C. S. Lewis, Perelandra

Why is it that some of the greatest wordsmiths have the most frustration with expressing themselves? I have to agree with you, though; even if language was infinitely large, I'm not sure that there would be enough to appropriately encompass the thought and feeling of an individual mind.

Though, at the moment, my frustration is with how slow words are in comparison to thought and feeling. In a way they are too definite for what I want to express; in another, they contain less than a fraction of what I'm truly thinking or feeling.

Needless to say, I'm stalking you from here on out.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am new to this forum, so I'm surprised to see that someone actually found my blog entry at all. And what's more, you actually responded!

Thanks for the thoughts and the stalking. I feel so loved already!

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's what I'm here for! Spreading... logical...? love and joy! *throws confetti at and runs off*

Seriously, though, I blame boredom, random clicking, and seeing a vaguely familiar name. I was hooked when I realized you sounded like Lewis. Lost forever now. T_T

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*Riverdances beneath the falling party favors, speaking casually as if sitting in a confortable armchair*

Logical love and joy - I call it "pragmatic optimism." Yay for it, and such!

*tapity TAP TAP TAP tapity tapity TAP TAP*

I was thinking about your problem with language being to slow compared to thoughts and emotions. It's a typical iNtuitive problem, no doubt. I have managed to make some progress in that area by utilizing subjective metaphors and vague language. With practice the language becomes more specific and objective. The key is to dedicate yourself to it, which is easier said than done.

*clickity clackity clunk-a-clunk*

Now You might have a place to start!

*finishes with a rather homosexual pose, the white frills of his sleeve flapping gayly as he throws his arm into the air magnificently*

(Before you ask, I am most certainly, indeededly, on drugs)

·
Registered
68 Posts
*Claps politely, throwing the obligatory plant genitalia at as well*

Good show, my good man, good show.

*Polishes monocle, ahems, and sips brandy before hm-hmming and shifting in her armchair*

Right. Well then. Yes. Subjective metaphors and vague language, what? Sounds more like a damned politician than a scholar, but with the youth of today and the state of institutions, one can't be... what?

If you mean something along the lines of "Just go with what everyone else uses and work the connotations in your favor, and stop overthinking it," I thiiiiink I get what you're saying. I'm afraid I don't have the attention span to dedicate myself to the study of language, though, even with its broad applications. At most, I'll work at it until I can explain what concept I need to in a manner that satisfies me.

Then onto the next question! My dear, dancing druggie, old philosopher, pal...

...or should I just let this comment trail end and wait until you blog more...

...but would it be rude to ask a pre-meditated question unrelated to your blog post...

...unless I possibly plant the idea of what I want to ask...

...or I could just ask and let you decide what to do with it. There we go.

How do you think? Not an abstract you.​ You, personally. Readygo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh dear god. Okay. I've learned something today, and it is this: Never ask someone who is philosophically minded such an abstract question.

(I explained the situation to my husband so he'd know why I was headdesking. When I told him this conclusion, he asked me how I hadn't realized this before. >.>;;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts