Is society getting better or worse? - Page 4

Is society getting better or worse?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50
Thank Tree61Thanks

This is a discussion on Is society getting better or worse? within the Trends Forum forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; People are becoming more retarded....

  1. #31

    People are becoming more retarded.

  2. #32

    I am curious about the notion of directionality of society, where are we supposed to be headed for things to be 'better'?


    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Actual studies have concluded that life in fact is the best it has ever been. People make more money than ever, live longer than ever and crime has been steadily dropping for over 3 decades.
    Are people happier than they've ever been? Depression has reached epidemic levels in many countries. (Was this always the case, but awareness was suppressed? Or is it a recent trend?)

  3. #33

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    I am curious about the notion of directionality of society, where are we supposed to be headed for things to be 'better'?




    Are people happier than they've ever been? Depression has reached epidemic levels in many countries. (Was this always the case, but awareness was suppressed? Or is it a recent trend?)
    I am pretty sure they keep changing the standard of what happiness is. I know it costs a lot more than it used to.. Is a lot thinner than it used to be, had more hair or less hair etc etc... You know what I mean?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I didn't say America was going more left.. I said the left is becoming more extreme, which simply widens an already existing gap.
    I'm not sure I'd even say that, at least not in America. Obama pretty much just continued on all of Bush's polices, or he added to them. The Republican Party is definitely getting more right-wing, they have been since Reagan, that said the Republican candidates never really follow through with any of the things they use to get support for election, it'll be the same with Romney. If he gets elected, he'll just ignore the demands of others on the right to outlaw abortion, get rid of Obamacare and all that other crap.

    Whilst the supporters might be getting more extreme on both sides, both parties are becoming as homogeneous as ever. It makes democracy look at best illusory, and at worse a complete sham.
    TranceMan thanked this post.

  6. #35

    Quote Originally Posted by TheProcrastinatingMaster View Post
    I'm not sure I'd even say that, at least not in America. Obama pretty much just continued on all of Bush's polices, or he added to them. The Republican Party is definitely getting more right-wing, they have been since Reagan, that said the Republican candidates never really follow through with any of the things they use to get support for election, it'll be the same with Romney. If he gets elected, he'll just ignore the demands of others on the right to outlaw abortion, get rid of Obamacare and all that other crap.

    Whilst the supporters might be getting more extreme on both sides, both parties are becoming as homogeneous as ever. It makes democracy look at best illusory, and at worse a complete sham.
    The worst part is people with IQs of 10 and below will vote for these morons.

  7. #36

    Quote Originally Posted by TheProcrastinatingMaster View Post
    I'm not sure I'd even say that, at least not in America. Obama pretty much just continued on all of Bush's polices, or he added to them. The Republican Party is definitely getting more right-wing, they have been since Reagan, that said the Republican candidates never really follow through with any of the things they use to get support for election, it'll be the same with Romney. If he gets elected, he'll just ignore the demands of others on the right to outlaw abortion, get rid of Obamacare and all that other crap.

    Whilst the supporters might be getting more extreme on both sides, both parties are becoming as homogeneous as ever. It makes democracy look at best illusory, and at worse a complete sham.
    Do I seem to be taking sides in your mind? I assure you I am not .. I can criticize one side of a debate and it does not mean I am in support of the other. This is lost on so many I hardly bother anymore.
    Obama is a complete and utter fuck up as President. That does not mean I support Romney ..

  8. #37

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Do I seem to be taking sides in your mind? I assure you I am not .. I can criticize one side of a debate and it does not mean I am in support of the other. This is lost on so many I hardly bother anymore.
    Obama is a complete and utter fuck up as President. That does not mean I support Romney ..
    Good clarification, I agree.
    Arclight thanked this post.

  9. #38

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    The media is focused almost exclusively on the negative aspects of life and the platforms for media exposure have increased significantly in the last 20 years.
    If people only read the headlines and only focus on the negatives, then the world is a scary, cold and dangerous place indeed
    Makes me feel quite unclear at times (stopped watching TV and following news media when so much good happens every day, getting ignored), as if this generation (last 15 years) will need Al'Gazera/middle eastern news reporting styles to keep their attention when so much information exists to desensitise people if they wish*.

    *Makes me think of a shock factor conversation I had with a friend, who noted how the UK news media did not even report a gruesome homicide in his former town in 2008 (where 'junkies' dismembered a body spreading it around a town in a children's park and other local places, instead choosing to sensationalise an emotive manhunt involving Ian Huntley), yet now we hear more about Syria, Korea, Iraqi soldier loses, deaths and unwarranted massacres almost daily (why I won't watch the new Batman film).
    Arclight thanked this post.

  10. #39

    It's fluid. It keeps changing, but not necessarily towards one direction or another. It "feels" like it's getting worse, though I'm pretty positive that's not getting worse or better. It's just changing.

    Society is becoming denser, maybe. More present.

  11. #40

    Quote Originally Posted by antahon View Post
    It's fluid. It keeps changing, but not necessarily towards one direction or another. It "feels" like it's getting worse, though I'm pretty positive that's not getting worse or better. It's just changing.

    Society is becoming denser, maybe. More present.
    I agree. As technology advances very quickly right now, we are faced with other problems than our ancestors were.
    While alot of us don't have to fight as hard for food and against disease, we instead have to fight against misinformation and propaganda.

    When we learn to cope with the circumustances today, society will probably have grown and new problems will have come with it.
    StElmosDream and Nastorm thanked this post.


     
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Which one is worse?
    By Wakachi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 07:03 PM
  2. [INFJ] Which is worse?
    By Up and Away in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 06:30 PM
  3. [INTP] Does it make it worse
    By Radiant Flux in forum INTP Forum - The Thinkers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0