[Enneagram Type 5] Trying to figure out which 548 variant I am. Please help! 5w4? 4w5? 8w9?

Trying to figure out which 548 variant I am. Please help! 5w4? 4w5? 8w9?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Thank Tree19Thanks

This is a discussion on Trying to figure out which 548 variant I am. Please help! 5w4? 4w5? 8w9? within the Type 5 Forum - The Investigator forums, part of the Head Triad - Types 5,6,7 category; I need a little help with understanding where I fall when it comes to the 548 tritype and its variants. ...

  1. #1
    Type 5w4

    Trying to figure out which 548 variant I am. Please help! 5w4? 4w5? 8w9?

    I need a little help with understanding where I fall when it comes to the 548 tritype and its variants.

    First, let me start off by saying; it was pointed out to me by someone else on a different thread that I may lead with either a 5 or a 4 (I have 8w9 listed), yet I can't take that person's comment seriously seeing as this same person jumped to a lot of unfounded conclusions, lacked sound logic, facts and rationale and was therefore found to be incapable of using either of these thought processes to back up their assertions, on top of that, they saw my rebuttal (to their baseless, manipulative diatribes) to be an attack on their faux-knowledge, and thus used emotions to make a judgement about myself. Nonetheless, I wanted to come here, to a group of [hopefully] unbiased people, to help with clarifications on tritype and Enneagram, and since 5s are suppose to be the most knowledgeable, I wanted to ask 5s for help.

    About a year ago, I took a few tests and looked up what some of the tritypes represented. I got the 854 tritype (Body; 8w9, Head: 5w4, Heart: 4w5), read several descriptions for this variant and found something I resonated with in all of them. Took the Enneagram test and got 8w9, I seem to resonate with this type when unhealthy which could be just a regular 5w4/4w5, right?

    -I'm a fighter, I push forward no matter what, and if you hit the wrong nerve, you might get a rage-filled telling off, I've also [unfortunately] been in physical confrontations with my husband and others, I act aggressively towards other over small slights: 8 core?

    -Despite the neurological setbacks (the LDs), I've come far in my life by proving myself in the workplace with competence and intelligence. I'm able to analyze people and situations and love games that challenge my mind and make me think. I'm usually emotionally detached when it comes political and social situations, even if I'm aware it's socially wrong, for example: I'll sign a petition against animal abuse because I'm aware it's shitty for the animal to have go through, but I don't feel pity or sorrow for suffering animals, actually, I don't feel anything for them even though I try to help in a way that I'm able to. I love to study and learn things that interest me such as psychology, sewing, MBTI, genetics, health & wellness and I'm just starting to study more about neurological disorders of the brain since this is something that affected me as a child and seems to be affecting some of my students as well. 5 core?

    -I used to love to draw, paint and sculpt during art class but not on my own time. I've dressed in black since I was a teen, which seems to be associated with INFPs/4s, I get pissed if I think someone's slighting me and I like to daydream. I'll feel like a worthless human being if I'm fired from a job, rejected for a job I applied to, or if I get into a nasty fight with my husband which usually results in nasty name-calling, physical altercations and becoming outright volatile during an argument with him. 4 Core?

    8w9, 5w4, or 4w5?

    854, 548 or 458?
    Last edited by Gaiten; 01-20-2018 at 03:15 AM.



  2. #2
    Type 5w4

    I didn't want to have too much in the initial post so here's some extra info:

    As someone who takes an interest in psychology, I'm aware that the nurture element can affect our true nature, so with that in mind, please take a look at this small summary of myself to get a feel for what type of person I might be;

    Parents separated when I was two, father was a physically abusive ESFJ towards my highly negligent and physically/emotionally abusive ISTP mother (my mother was negligent and physically/emotionally abusive towards myself). My father has a violent and explosive temper which I had to deal with throughout my youth, this caused me to feel as though I was always walking on eggshells around him. After the divorce, my mother seemed to care far more about her BFs than anyone else, including myself (I can give some really nasty anecdotes as examples just in case people think I'm being overly "emotional" or exaggerating). Because of this, as a child I became a maladaptive daydreamer to help cope with my living situation which negatively affected my school performance since I didn't pay attention and found the work boring, not because it was easy (it wasn't, not for me) but because the subjects were simply something I didn't care for. This landed me in the resource room/special-ed room and I was labeled as someone who was "learning disabled," which is a misnomer. Through S.E. I found out I was a visual-spatial learner, making the classroom environment even more difficult (look up visual-spatial learning). This, of course, lead me to believe I was unintelligent, yet I was creative and interested in art (at the time) as well as gaming (making me seem even more peculiar to peers, as a female child at that time in the 80s and 90s). Fast forward to highschool; mom moved me from school to school throughout the years, and state to state. I move out of mom's house and lived with my father for a year (16-17) and then with my paternal grandparents for a bit after that. In HS, because I was moderately dyscalculic (a neurological disorder labeled as a learning disability--which has nothing to do with baseline intelligence) I was kept in S.E. While in S.E. During either 11th or 12th grade, they IQ tested me (it was mandatory for all S.E. students), found out my IQ was above average (no, I'm not autistic) and my bad grades (outside of math) were a result of laziness and a bad living situation throughout the years, thus setting me behind greatly. My grandparents sold the house before I graduated HS and moved to a senior residence, and as a result I wasn't able to go to college because I was supporting myself and living paycheck to paycheck, plus because of the fact I was dyscalculic, it would've made it impossible to get into a decent college. I lived in poor areas in CT, got sick of it, moved from CT to TX, lived with a roommate in TX, joined the military, got kicked out of the military for being disobedient (lol), took the money I made from being in the military and visited Japan, made friends in Japan, found my future husband (a Japanese guy), and now I live in Japan (without a degree), yet I work as an educator in a private school (they don't know I don't have a degree).

    Note: Sorry for the terrible sentence structure and garbled grammar. It's late and I'm already tired of writing this long-winded post.

  3. #3
    Type 5w4


    Have you read the Complete Enneagram by Beatrice Chestnut?

    Relate to any of these?




    I'm an Enneagram noob, but I'll have a read through the book I've got on my Kindle as well to see if anything rings any bells over the weekend as well.
    Gaiten and Lady of Clockwork thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Type 5w4

    The top three= 4
    The middle three= 5 with some elements of 6 (I'm not a "rule follower" or "protector" though)
    The bottom three= 8 with some laziness elements of 9 (this might be a result of 5)

  6. #5
    Type 5w4


    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiten View Post
    The top three= 4
    The middle three= 5 with some elements of 6 (I'm not a "rule follower" or "protector" though)
    The bottom three= 8 with some laziness elements of 9 (this might be a result of 5)
    Cool.. check out the link I provided.
    Have you considered 5w6?

  7. #6

    Man that's a lot of words, which unfortunately aren't actually that relevant to Enneagram. I'll try and help though.

    -I used to love to draw, paint and sculpt during art class but not on my own time. I've dressed in black since I was a teen, which seems to be associated with INFPs/4s, I get pissed if I think someone's slighting me and I like to daydream. I'll feel like a worthless human being if I'm fired from a job, rejected for a job I applied to, or if I get into a nasty fight with my husband which usually results in nasty name-calling, physical altercations and becoming outright volatile during an argument with him. 4 Core?
    Associating being a 4 with doing artsy stuff and dressing in black is a pretty shallow stereotype. In fact there isn't really much 4 stuff here, the part about tying self esteem to a job is more 3 and possibly 6 if anything. If anything a Four would probably romanticize over how misunderstood he is by modern corporatism and the likes and scoff at how this mundane life is beneath him, for he is destined to a more meaningful and special fate (I'm obviously exaggerating here, but truthfully it tends to be a low key version of this). No identity issues and longing either. Assuming you really have 4 in your tritype (you seem 3), you're definitely not core IMO.

    -Despite the neurological setbacks (the LDs), I've come far in my life by proving myself in the workplace with competence and intelligence. I'm able to analyze people and situations and love games that challenge my mind and make me think. I'm usually emotionally detached when it comes political and social situations, even if I'm aware it's socially wrong, for example: I'll sign a petition against animal abuse because I'm aware it's shitty for the animal to have go through, but I don't feel pity or sorrow for suffering animals, actually, I don't feel anything for them even though I try to help in a way that I'm able to. I love to study and learn things that interest me such as psychology, sewing, MBTI, genetics, health & wellness and I'm just starting to study more about neurological disorders of the brain since this is something that affected me as a child and seems to be affecting some of my students as well. 5 core?
    What is knowledge to you ? What about power ? Do you relate to avarice ? How do you feel about the world in general, say like a series of obstacles ? I'll let @Paradigm go more in depth on this here, as she's generally pretty involved and knowledgeable when it comes to 5 typings. If she's willing of course.

    -I'm a fighter, I push forward no matter what, and if you hit the wrong nerve, you might get a rage-filled telling off, I've also [unfortunately] been in physical confrontations with my husband and others, I act aggressively towards other over small slights: 8 core?
    That's not enough info to go on and determine whether you're an 8 core, but according to this I do think it's part of your tritype. On the other hand I have a hard time seeing a core 8 open up and tell his life story just like that on the fly, vulnerabilities and all tbh. I'm not even 8 core and I don't see myself doing that lol.
    Gaiten thanked this post.

  8. #7
    Type 5w4


    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSlime View Post
    That's not enough info to go on and determine whether you're an 8 core, but according to this I do think it's part of your tritype. On the other hand I have a hard time seeing a core 8 open up and tell his life story just like that on the fly, vulnerabilities and all tbh. I'm not even 8 core and I don't see myself doing that lol.
    Got to remember this is the internet, she might not be so forthcoming in person.
    I'm a type 5 and am relatively open on internet forums, in person, absolutely not, my wife who I've been with for over 6 years now, knows practically nothing of me.
    Can't really get a proper gauge on that kind of thing on the internet.
    Gaiten thanked this post.

  9. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Turi View Post
    Got to remember this is the internet, she might not be so forthcoming in person.
    I'm a type 5 and am relatively open on internet forums, in person, absolutely not, my wife who I've been with for over 6 years now, knows practically nothing of me.
    Can't really get a proper gauge on that kind of thing on the internet.
    You can contrast behavior to a greater sample of people of said type to draw general conclusions, even of the internet.

    And it's a bit sad if what you say about your relationship is true, but let's not sidetrack on that.

  10. #9
    Type 5w4


    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSlime View Post
    You can contrast behavior to a greater sample of people of said type to draw general conclusions, even of the internet.
    Maybe, but not this behaviour, imo.
    Even the most reclusive "keep information to myself" type 5 in the world, might open up a bit when trying to get some help regarding their type.
    How can people help, without information?
    Perhaps OP is a Type 5, and understands this.
    Also the relative anonymity on the internet makes it easier for some people to 'open up' in this fashion, as there's no 'real' person judging them for it, etc.
    Gaiten thanked this post.

  11. #10
    Type 5w4

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSlime View Post
    Man that's a lot of words, which unfortunately aren't actually that relevant to Enneagram. I'll try and help though.

    Associating being a 4 with doing artsy stuff and dressing in black is a pretty shallow stereotype. In fact there isn't really much 4 stuff here, the part about tying self esteem to a job is more 3 and possibly 6 if anything. If anything a Four would probably romanticize over how misunderstood he is by modern corporatism and the likes and scoff at how this mundane life is beneath him, for he is destined to a more meaningful and special fate (I'm obviously exaggerating here, but truthfully it tends to be a low key version of this). No identity issues and longing either. Assuming you really have 4 in your tritype (you seem 3), you're definitely not core IMO.

    What is knowledge to you ? What about power ? Do you relate to avarice ? How do you feel about the world in general, say like a series of obstacles ? I'll let @Paradigm go more in depth on this here, as she's generally pretty involved and knowledgeable when it comes to 5 typings. If she's willing of course.

    That's not enough info to go on and determine whether you're an 8 core, but according to this I do think it's part of your tritype. On the other hand I have a hard time seeing a core 8 open up and tell his life story just like that on the fly, vulnerabilities and all tbh. I'm not even 8 core and I don't see myself doing that lol.
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it especially since there's a lot to read. Today I read through The Complete Enneagram: 48 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge. As far as core goes, I think I relate most to the sx 5. Looking through forums as well as doing a little more research on the 5w4 vs 4w5, I think I'm more than likely a 5w4 (I have to do more research comparing the two). Then I took another look at the 548 tritype variants and probably fall under either 548 or 458 with 548 being the tritype I more than likely fall under (correlating to the 5w4).

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSlime View Post
    Associating being a 4 with doing artsy stuff and dressing in black is a pretty shallow stereotype.
    OK, but I did mention more than just the superficial, and of course there's a lot more to it than that, but then my post would become even more long-winded. As far as the 4 goes, when slighted, or if I overhear someone gossiping about me, I'll feel hurt and it'll, for some annoying reason, stay on my mind and cause me to feel bad for the rest of the day, or maybe the rest of the week, as though I'm overanalyzing the unimportant opinion of sheeple, I'll even tell my husband about what was done or said. This is an aspect of myself that I wish didn't exist, there's no reason to feel bad about one person's subjective opinion and begin questioning who I am as a person, but again (and if you read the second comment I posted) this might be due to my upbringing and having been bullied and belittled as a child; bringing me back to that time in my life (Si).

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSlime View Post
    What is knowledge to you ? What about power ? Do you relate to avarice ? How do you feel about the world in general, say like a series of obstacles?
    Knowledge is the information I can learn through reading. Learning facts, how to do things, why things are the way they are, why people do what they do, how something can be done, etc. Knowledge is also gained through life experience, but since I'm a shut-in, I'm better off trying to gain knowledge through books, studying, and watching helpful/educational videos.

    Power to me is the ability to fight off or control others through action, knowledge, manipulation through image, rage, and that aggressive, choking aura that comes out during a verbal confrontation, the kind the scares others away before a physical confrontation occurs (this can be a good thing and a bad thing depending on who it is).

    As far as avarice is concerned, I only accumulate what I need to survive. I don't like giving to charity, and I like to keep all the stuff I buy (such as all of my video games and old consoles) instead of selling them. I keep my belongings with me in my home as comfort and a way to stave off boredom if and when it ever hits. I'll collect sets of things I like every now and then if they aren't expensive and if there isn't hundreds of them.

    I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to the world. I live in Japan yet I don't worry about little fatty in NK blowing us up even though he's sent several missiles over this country and is threatening to test a hydrogen bomb in our seas, and while I see some of the social issues (in the states) are becoming absolutely ridiculous (and while I might disagree with some of what's going on), I don't feel sad or depressed over any of it, nor do I care to be the one to step up and try to help change anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricSlime View Post
    tell his life story
    I'm a woman.

    Again, I wanted to say thank you. I know it's a lot of stuff to read, it's especially burdensome when it's someone you don't know. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Gaiten; 01-20-2018 at 03:36 PM.


     
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to figure out my husband
    By manamana in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 07:06 AM
  2. Trying to figure out my type!
    By tonechild in forum What's my personality type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 09:44 AM
  3. [ISTP] Help! I'm trying to figure out which personality type this guy is.
    By lilnesbomb in forum ISTP Forum - The Mechanics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 03:48 PM
  4. Trying to figure out my mom's personality type.
    By daedaln in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 03:36 PM
  5. Trying to figure out my mom's type.
    By TaylorS in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 02:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0