Hi, I have been reading up on MBTI for a couple of months now but still have trouble figuring out my type.
I understand it is difficult to type someone accurately over the net but I aim to answer everything as honestly as possible so if there are any questions, feel free to ask. ☺
1.Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
Just a bit tired but am confident enough to provide clear answers. Female, 19.
2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?
I prefer the first picture as I have always appreciated environments more compared to humans(for photos).
I felt calm when I first saw the photo. The vastness of the sea and the sky reminded me of how big the world really is since I never had the opportunity to venture out much from my own country. I have also always wanted to see the northern lights because they are so pretty and too mystical to really exist. It almost seem like there must be something spiritual going on where the northern lights are.
3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter . What kind of person are you and why?
“I may seem withdrawn and quiet(& perhaps unfriendly) towards people I am not familiar with. Sorry if it seems like I dislike you but that’s not it. It’s because I am too shy. If we were to spend more time together, I would definitely warm up to you. You would see that within that cold persona lies a really bubbly and cheerful person, and you would probably forget that I was distant before.”
4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?
I would like to have more self-confidence. I think I have too little faith in my own abilities. It’s because of this low self-esteem that I get envious of others all the time (someone that I don’t want to be). I want to learn to embrace who I am and what I have because out there in this world there are millions of people who are way less privileged than I am. It seems almost selfish and unfair to them to ask for more.
5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?
I think people around me seem to think I am naļve, too trusting or too nice.
While I in general do like to believe the best in others and try to be as nice as possible, it does not mean that I am not aware of their intentions. I just do not show it out of fear of destroying the relationships. It is really difficult to get on my bad side because I forgive and forget easily. However, deep down there is still a line that they must never cross.
6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.
I value creativity, wisdom, love and loyalty.
7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?
I react to such situations in two different extremes.
Sometimes I get really excited but often times I feel like running away.
I was appointed a leader during one of my most vital assignments last year. It was one of the most stressful moments in my life because I had to carry a huge load of responsibilities on my shoulders. I was never the leader sort of person. It became so overwhelming for me that I had difficulties maintaining my composure throughout and had small outbursts time to time.
It didn’t help when some of my group members were not as committed and didn’t fulfill their tasks on time. As much as I was seething inside I couldn’t bring myself to scold them because we were friends. I felt like a hypocrite when I told them it was ‘okay’ but complained to my close friend behind their backs. It was a terrible experience and I told myself unless absolutely necessary, I never want to spearhead a vital project like that ever again.
8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.
When I am stressed, I become pessimistic and I lose touch of my creativity. I get frustrated with myself and blame/take it out on others around me (irrationally). I will also obsess over tiny details and become more prone to outbursts.
Basically, don’t talk or touch me when I am stressed unless you want to get screamed at.
9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.
I can become talkative and start cracking lots of silly jokes. To only a selective few of course. I can’t think of any particular experience but I would say that situations like that only exist when there is no pressure. It would feel like I am floating in the air, my mind free of troubles.
10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?
I have never really enjoyed socializing. I was never the kind to approach and greet strangers but I do not mind if they approach me.
I love one-on-one interactions. You get to have deeper and meaningful conversations than group interactions. You also get to understand the other party better. Group interactions (about 4-6) are good too if you want to discuss about ideas so you get to hear a variety of opinions. I love to hear about how others think so I often ask for other’s opinions on various topics. Till this day, it never fails to amaze me how different everyone’s point of view can be.
11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?
I do not adhere to traditions very much. I don’t like them but I don’t dislike them either. I try to remember my friends’ birthdays but I dread buying presents for them because I don’t really know what to get for them and I am too lazy. I do that sometimes because I have friends who get hurt or upset but usually I try to avoid it if I can.
I appreciate and value social politeness.
12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?
I don’t have much opinion regarding authority but I do think that authority is important to maintain order. Apart from that, having authority does not always mean that the person is right and sometimes people misuse it to force their opinions on others. It’s a love and hate relationship, really.
I do not usually challenge authority unless I obviously know they are wrong. I won’t be upfront about it but you will catch hints of it if you were observant enough.
13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?
Order to me can mean two things: structured or justice. I highly value justice.
I also experience chaos every single day. My mind is full of it, for example. My thoughts are all over the place, always disjointed. When I try to share ideas or talk, I jump all over the place so sometimes people get confused.
My belongings are messy as well. Well, messy in an organized way if you know what I mean. I never bothered to arrange my things because it's such a chore. I like my things to be clean though.
14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?
I fear being outcasted and hated by everyone. I can’t imagine how I would survive being alone and unloved. I am also afraid to show my true nature to others. That’s why I often repress my negative feelings towards others (not to family but friends). It’s really unhealthy though and weighs like a stone in my heart.
15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?
I wish to fulfill my lifelong dream as an artist. I unfortunately live in a practical country and it can be really challenging. I believe the desire to be successful was further invoked by how the older people around me (luckily my parents were supportive) were opposed to the idea of me being an artist, claiming that there was no future in it. It makes me want to prove them wrong so badly. I never believed in investing our lives into something we have no passion for. I have heard of parents who have forced their children to do something they are not interested in and I am utterly disgusted by it.
16. a) What activities energize you most?
Reading fiction, drawing, cracking jokes, staying at home, watching movies, sleeping, browsing the net & traveling overseas.
b) What activities drain you most? Why?
Rushing work to meet deadlines, hanging out with big group of people(>6), studying(things I am not interested in), traveling long distances and memorizing things.
I cannot function well under pressure.
17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.
I would like to understand about my own strengths and weaknesses so that I know how to improve them. I have a few types in mind, but want to avoid mentioning it so that you guys don’t get stuck with what I have.
18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?
If it helps, I have bad memory (my childhood memories are fuzzy) and am oblivious towards my immediate surroundings. I am more observant of people’s feelings though. I can tell a person’s mood easily. I am also very sensitive and emotional but not sentimental. It’s way easier for me to let go of possessions than relationships though. I am also very reflective.
Thanks for reading and any comment, long or short, will be really helpful to me! I am open to all types so please feel free to tell/ask me about anything! ☺