Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I managed to get through most of tritypes, and I am amused at how a lot of these descriptions are just a compilations of stereotypes of three types jammed together. I was reading through my tritype ("The Ambassador"...haha) and it was obvious that what the description amounted to was a simple formula of success-oriented 3 + free-spirited energetic 7 + peace-loving 9 = triple-positive, free-spirited, peace-loving hippy *dances barefoot around the spring maypole*. I've never really been impressed by a lot of tritype descriptions, and the ones I have come from individuals who have direct knowledge of how their fixes affect them personally so you get a detailed picture of how each fix manifests in an individual, rather than some cute but trite copy-and-paste description.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I managed to get through most of tritypes, and I am amused at how a lot of these descriptions are just a compilations of stereotypes of three types jammed together. I was reading through my tritype ("The Ambassador"...haha) and it was obvious that what the description amounted to was a simple formula of success-oriented 3 + free-spirited energetic 7 + peace-loving 9 = triple-positive, free-spirited, peace-loving hippy *dances barefoot around the spring maypole*. I've never really been impressed by a lot of tritype descriptions, and the ones I have come from individuals who have direct knowledge of how their fixes affect them personally so you get a detailed picture of how each fix manifests in an individual, rather than some cute but trite copy-and-paste description.
I definitely agree. It is a trend I noticed while compiling all this stuff. This is why I refuse to buy the Fauvres' book, which is what they told me to do after I asked them about my tri-type. "Q: What is the 3-7-1 like? A: This is a type that likes to be efficient in a fun and principled way." That tells me nothing. It gets to be very frustrating, and I have come to the conclusion that to understand tri-types, one must understand each of the 9 types. Once you really understand the types individually, then you can understand how they would interact.

I'd really like others to post how their fixes affect them personally, as you said, to give balance to the descriptions I posted here.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I definitely agree. It is a trend I noticed while compiling all this stuff. This is why I refuse to buy the Fauvres' book, which is what they told me to do after I asked them about my tri-type. "Q: What is the 3-7-1 like? A: This is a type that likes to be efficient in a fun and principled way." That tells me nothing. It gets to be very frustrating, and I have come to the conclusion that to understand tri-types, one must understand each of the 9 types. Once you really understand the types individually, then you can understand how they would interact.

I'd really like others to post how their fixes affect them personally, as you said, to give balance to the descriptions I posted here.
Oh man, the Favure's IMO have the most cheesiest tritype descriptions out there. I recognized which ones were theirs while reading the thread by noting their cute packaged tone. I think it would be hard to get people to post accurate tritype/trifix (whatever floats your boat) descriptions because there is a high tendency to mistype when finding your non-core fixes. Identifying your other two fixes is a bit trickier because their core fixations aren't going to be as apparent as your main one so their manifesting behaviours and patterns are a bit trickier to catch. For instance, ever since I stumbled upon the enneagram I thought for sure I had a 4-fix based on just reading a few descriptions of the type, until I actually started contemplating my issues related to the image triad and realized I mistyped my image fix.

·
Banned
440 Posts
I agree with @Harley and @madhatter

I am a 5-4-1. People who know me well in real life would attest to this. The 5 and 4 traits are almost tied so it has been difficult for me to discern which is my core.

This tritype in myself looks something like this: A longing loner who is DEEPLY passionate yet externally looks like an ice queen. There is a battle between the 5 and 4 that creates great difficulty for my pysche. The 5 in me yearns for independence, to be totally self-sufficient and to be left alone so I can enjoy my thoughts. The 5 in me is greedy and wants life on my terms...my space, my rules, my time, my money, my stuff...get out and let me be. The 4 in me craves union with another who can appreciate the beauty in the art of life that surrounds us. I don't especially have a desire to feel unique, I know I am unique but in a very lonely way.

People with the 4/5 dominance probably struggle with the mind/heart dichotomy. Rather than being able to blend the two, they become two separate entities i.e. "This moment I need to use my heart, now I need to use my mind and never the twain shall meet". It has a feeling of the mind and heart being enemies that have agreed to keep the peace as long as each leaves the other alone. I have been at both healthy levels and unhealthy levels. At unhealthy levels I believe suicide is quite inevitable. The dissonance is just too profound...the mind and heart rally and end up destroying one another and as a result, take the body down.

The 1 is quite apparent in this tritype, I think. When you have the mind and heart battling it out, inevitably they will exhaust and the gut instinct takes charge. There is nothing like the superego of a type 1 to grab the wheel in chaos. What is "right" and what is "ethical" must be upheld with a passion and clarity unmatched. *Hopefully it will be for the good because I can see someone of this type with evil motives commanding an army "for the cause"*

Overall, the tritype descriptions are lame. I agree, they take one personality trait from each fix and throw them together in whichever order the tri happens to be and voila here you are. Reminds me of horoscopes in a way and I certainly don't like having the wool pulled over my eyes.

My version of 5-4-1: march to their own drummer, loner, cerebral, sensitive, unique view of the world, honest, deep thinker

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Overall, the tritype descriptions are lame. I agree, they take one personality trait from each fix and throw them together in whichever order the tri happens to be and voila here you are. Reminds me of horoscopes in a way and I certainly don't like having the wool pulled over my eyes.

My version of 5-4-1: march to their own drummer, loner, cerebral, sensitive, unique view of the world, honest, deep thinker

Yeah, it took me a long time to realize I was a core 9 due to overly neat and contrived descriptions. Apparently 9 sx can be quite different than 9 sp (which is the "typical" 9 described)... plus, I have a strong 4 fix that skews a lot of the 9 traits.

Maybe we should all try to write our own tritype descriptions (for our own tritypes) and compile them into a thread.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
This tritype in myself looks something like this: A longing loner who is DEEPLY passionate yet externally looks like an ice queen. There is a battle between the 5 and 4 that creates great difficulty for my pysche. The 5 in me yearns for independence, to be totally self-sufficient and to be left alone so I can enjoy my thoughts. The 5 in me is greedy and wants life on my terms...my space, my rules, my time, my money, my stuff...get out and let me be.
Sounds more sp/sx or something, I can relate to that and I am a 6, not a 5

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I really hate 6 stereotypes and 3-6-9 sterotypes...

369 Mediator Archetype

She said this is the type most likely to be able to be the chameleon and will be able to adjust themselves according to whomever they are around. Having the 3 relating types and the 3 primary types they can have the most difficulty pinpointing not only their tritype but their dominant strategy. She said they will almost always think they are 3s, because they will value success and will be inclined to adjust to fit a given situation. She said they need to stay engaged and have harmony to feel happy which is what causes the constant adjustment.
I don't feel able to adjust myself well, I don't even feel I really fit in, I don't even feel completely comfortable. I usually hide away from those things that make me uncomfortable and try to find things I can align myself with rather than align myself to things. I do, however, place value on getting through life, but it's much deeper than what is here. I place value on knowing what life is and what things 'really are'. I think the three in me makes me strive for doing something innovative with what I am interested in, but it's not the most important thing for me.

They are most likely to fit into the cultural millieu of what is expected of them but that their life mission is to bring harmony and she calls this the true mediator archetype. She said they can be so focused on fitting in and belonging that they lose themeselves and forget to speak their personal truths for fear of not relating to others.
I do not care at all for harmony. I don't feel I fit what is expected of me culturally more than anyone else and in fact, I'm actually very individualistic and individualized. And instead of bringing harmony, I usually go for chaos. The way I might be able to fit that is with my social anxiety, but I don't really consider that 'myself'.

Your emotional energy goes towards seeking attachments with ideas and others. You want to be bonded to people. You also want to create balance and are uncomfortable with extremes. You tend to see relationships as a part of yourself. Overall, you are positively identified with others and may have amnesia for the more difficult or negative aspects of your relationships.
I'm a huge loner, more reserved than most people who call themselves loners and I have no friends except for my girlfriend. I would like to find people who I can relate to and have deep friendships with them, but that's extremely hard. Otherwise, I can live without these. 'Uncomfortable with extremes' is completely laughable for me...I am an extreme person, pretty much only know extremes. And that's how I like it. I do want internal balance in some aspects, though. I am negatively identified with most people, pretty much. I do have a lot of passion for my interests and for beauty, perhaps that could go for the first line.

3-6-9 - The Citizen

This tritype would be most characterized by being influenced by their society. They usually embody everything that their society is. They need to adapt in order to relieve tension and stress.
Least favorite...'the citizen'...
I think where my 6 comes in is that I avoid being influence by society, I am very rebellious in this way. It makes me anxious to think of how i might be being influenced mentally. I need to defy in order to relieve tension and stress in contrast with that.

Reactions: luemb

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hmmm....
I think I might be 2-6-8. o.o
LET MEH HELP YOU

Reactions: Cassieopeia

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The 361 is very industrious and busy doing to avoid anxiety, the 1 brings a need to do what is morally correct. The 368 is focused on fighting for justice, the 8 brings a need to overcome and prevail. The 369 is highly adaptable and focused on being in comfortable alignment with others.

The sx 683 is a very dynamic 6. This tritype has consistently reported being predominantly counter-phobic. A true fighter this tritype goes the distance for others. This tritype with 6 dominant is very loyal, feisty and achievement oriented.

(3)-6-8 - The Reactive 3
3-(6)-8 - The Aggressive 6
3-6-(8) - The Normative 8

Characterized by confrontation. Immovably disagreeable. They stay firm in their direction and beliefs and won't let anyone but themselves change that.
Omg. Hahaha. That's so me. Okay, I think I've found my tritype. :D lmao.

·
Registered
49 Posts
268 – The Rescuer Archetype

This type is characterized by the issues they have with others. They tend to get easily frustrated with others. They want help others but they also want things to go their way. They have a 'let me help you' quality.

268, 682, 826 - The Rescuer: By nature, you want to be in charge of your world and are attracted to the noble cause. You wish to shield others from harm and challenge what is unjust. You want to know the rules to feel safe to break them. Your life mission is to track the needs of the vulnerable and take action on their behalf. A true rescuer, you are happiest when you can use your people skills and desire to protect others to help those that feel alone, desperate and are in a crisis. Your blind spot is that you can be so identified with the pride of knowing how to help others that you may give unsolicited advice or meddle in the affairs of others. You over-give to others to be well-liked, which prevents a deeper connection to your true self. Your growing edge is to recognize that always rescuing others does not mean that you will always be liked and cared for in return, and that it may prevent them from learning how to care for themselves. True protection comes from listening to higher guidance and knowing when to assist others and when to let them learn for themselves.

269 and 268 are even more distinctively different. Both are helpful but there is nothing passive about the 268. The 269 is the gentle person archetype. The 268 is very take charge and is the true rescuer, EMT, helping the disadvantaged archetype. The 2 is connected to 8 already so if 8 is in the Tritype this Tritype may at first think that they are an 8.

I don't know at all how any specific three types--2/6/8 in this case-- act synergistically. But I do know that each of these at average to lower levels is very controlling in interpersonal relationships, very domineering (including the 6 due to the sx/so), highly reactive, and also explosive when they feel they aren't getting back what they 'deserve'. So my assumption was the obvious: that the synergy would lead to someone controlling to the point of suffocation and high drama.
Okay... yeah, that's me. Tritype 2-6-8 :D

Reactions: madhatter

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thank you SO much. This will be very helpful to me for many years. I just had my 20-year-old son trityped. He is a 926.
This will help me to assist his journey.

Blessings ... DK
You're welcome! I'm glad I could be of help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Madhatter, Do you know of anyone (besides me!) who is interested in having conversations around the opportunity and the trap that the Enneagram is?

I see great potential for the E as a tool for Transformation ... AND ... a great potential for ensnaring people in another limited box.

Sincerely,

Dr. David Kamnitzer

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Madhatter, Do you know of anyone (besides me!) who is interested in having conversations around the opportunity and the trap that the Enneagram is?

I see great potential for the E as a tool for Transformation ... AND ... a great potential for ensnaring people in another limited box.

Sincerely,

Dr. David Kamnitzer
I would think any regulars in the Enneagram forum here would be interested in a good discussion of the Enneagram.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Banned
13,780 Posts

Sincerely,

Dr. David Kamnitzer
Originally I was skeptical of the enneagram and I still try to "shoot down the holes" and see what holds up and what doesn't (same with the MBTI), but so far the theory has given me a lot and I had to recognize that it has some merit and there is some truth in it.

Well, if people use it wrong, then it is just a box. As I see it , the whole point is to recognize that we are struggling in a box, but the potential is there to break out and become healthier by connecting to those parts of ourselves that we neglected. The enneagram is dynamic, so we can. Once you know your type, you also become aware of the tendencies of the type and you can catch yourself, so you don't have to fall into behavior patterns that you don't like :). The E lists the negative as well as the positive, so it is useful in that way. It is also useful to understand and relate to other people. You don't really need to type them, but recognizing what E type behavior it is and what they are struggling with can allow you to communicate better and understand their motivations better. The E shows the way once you type yourself correctly. I see it more as a guide or a map.

I wish my dad would have taken the time to understand me like you do with your son.

·
Registered
82 Posts
135 The Technical Expert Archetype

The 135, 358, and 359 tritypes are naturally inclined to be tenacious and persistent.

The 361 is an incredibly discerning, focused and responsible type. She said they will be the most inclined to want to live up to a successful image by societal standards and to focus on duty in order to feel valuable. She called it the "true taskmaster" that is inclined to create structure and rules that others in society can follow and to implement them. She said the blindspot is that one can be so overly focused on the rules that they can loose touch with their own values and feelings in deference to what is acceptable or societally defined. This is the type at risk of becoming robotic (along with the 135). However the 351 is less relational than the 361.

3-5-1 tritype: driven, self disciplined, success and image oriented (but the image is not one of flash. It's ALWAYS perfect and appropriate.)...discerning, self demanding and judgmental with a focus on control. Extremely productive and hardworking, she barely gives herself a break, but when she does it's like a huge release. It's always planned though...Highly intelligent and focused, but can be narrow-minded at times, even though she's capable of seeing other perspectives if she's convinced of the "rightness" of hers she will be harsh, critical and obstinate.

135, 351, 531

If you are a 135, you are diligent, focused and knowledgeable. You want to be ethical, efficient and wise. Highly rational, you seek systems and procedures. Detail oriented, you like mathematical concepts and finding ways to breakdown and understand complex material. You are very precise and good with your hands.

Your life mission is to be focused and to use your powers of observation to achieve goals. A true technical expert, you feel happiest when you use your knowledge and precision skills to create, achieve and teach.

You can be so focused on what you perceive is accurate, effective and logical that you can appear to be cold and distant. Your attention to detail is so critical in your life that the key is to recognize that it governs your decisions.

351...competent

all three Focused Responder Enneacards
(Enneagram Types: 1, 3 & 5)
You see yourself as controlled, disciplined, tenacious and pragmatic. You avoid error and sloppiness in your work and people who over-focus on their emotions. Naturally focused and perfectionistic, you like to set goals. You prefer to respond when you have had time to assess and evaluate.

3-5-1 - The Objectivist

They conduct themselves in highly competent and rational manner. They usually know exactly how to reach their goals and work very diligently to reach those goals.

5-1-3: Most scientific and remote Five. Most technical. Uncomfortable with intense feelings.

1-3-5 : a rather ambitious, elitist and goal-oriented One, very hard-working and somewhat intellectually arrogant. They rarely show their feelings and therefore they usually seem cold and very self-assured. These Ones are generally well-read, well-mannered and quite intellectually refined: they like to impress others with their intelligence, wisdom and irreproachable work.
usual subtypes: social, self-preserving, 1w9
similar tritypes: 1-5-3, 3-1-5, 5-1-3
flavours: competent, intellectual, ambitious and refined

1-5-3 : usually introverted and elitist, prefer the scientific approach in nearly everything they do. These Ones appear colder and very self-certain but can be rather sensitive and fearful on the inside. Are afraid of failure and not meeting the expectations of others, mainly because they think they do not have enough resources for all their projects. They are hard-working, thorough and very meticulous and their work is usually impeccable. These Ones are particularly intellectual, knowledgeable and objective.
usual subtypes: self-preserving, social 1w9
similar tritypes: 1-3-5, 5-1-3, 3-1-5
flavours: cerebral, scientific, meticulous and objective

5-3-1: one of the most cold-blooded and self-controlled of the Fives, this tritype is remarkably efficient, hard-working and competent, although a little bit anal as well. They demand recognition for their contributions and are fairly concerned with their image and intellectual value. Somewhat self-righteous and impatient with others, they are however pragmatic and tactful enough not to compromise their goals by being too inflexible. These Fives are very clever, self-confident, perfectionist, arrogant and glacial.
typical subtypes: social, self-preserving, 5w6
similar tritypes: 5-1-3, 3-5-1
flavours: cold, composed, efficient and self-important

5-1-3: exacting, methodical, organized and fairly self-righteous, these Fives have a compulsive need for logic and order in their environment. They are hard-working and more practical and pragmatic than other Fives, focusing on the efficiency and improvement of the systems that interest them. They also enjoy and expect receiving the deserved recognition for their efforts, considering their time and involvement very precious. This tritype is one of the most cool-headed, rigid and self-controlled.
typical subtypes: self-preserving, social, 5w6
similar tritypes: 5-3-1, 3-5-1, 1-5-3
flavours: exigent, methodical, formal and efficient
Employing mechanisms based on a feeling of competence. (1-3-5)

I would consider myself 531. This doesn't mean I read all the profiles and decided that I identify with each of these in this relative order, nor does it just mean that I seek knowledge, achievement, and rightness. Rather, I have found there to be my primary patterns of dealing with reality when I look across my lifespan. Also, when I get into ruts, it's usually governed by one of these three areas, with the type 5 being the primary problem. Most of my self-monitoring goes into watching the type 5 pattern play out on a day-to-day basis, but I also need to watch for type 3 problems with anything related to my self-image and type 1 problems with anything related to... well, "gut" stuff.

Basically, I see the 1-2-5 as tipping things, in the heart triad, towards the sort of self-sacrificial idealism of 1 -- but at the cost of competency preoccupation which 3 brings. A warmer, maybe less scientific person, who will more readily throw science out the window for the sake of helping others. Both Twos and Threes have a kind of workaholism, so I see that as persisting, but Threes work better alone, and I think the 1-3-5 is ultimately the more reclusive trifix combo, the scholar, the diligent student, the expert practitioner, whereas 1-2-5 is more like the field doctor, or medic, or veterinarian. Objective, but involved, and conscious of others. Maybe they do a lot of detailed work on their own, but they see themselves moreover as being in service of others. In some ways, 1-2-5 is a more "balanced" trifix/tritype. 1-3-5 gets overloaded with competency issues and comes out becoming too rigid, too logical for humanitarian work -- people seem too chaotic, 1-3-5's know their own abilities and studies best, so they stick with those. They aren't "by the book" but would rather write the book themselves. They suffer more from feeling that they lack the innate ability to help others, so they practice more, try to get ahead, prepare, theorize, get involved with projects that keep face-to-face interaction to a minimum, but want to get things just right. More perfectionist, more critical.

five with a one fix: focused, serious tone. critical outlook. theme of
sacrifice, dissolves wholly into their projects.
special interest in knowledge, skill, and discoveries
to improve health, society, the future, and the like.
concerned for others in the abstract; difficult to get
close to.
I'm a 3-5-9. Where's my breakdown? =) I need more.....

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Reactions: Malak
41 - 60 of 536 Posts